countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Home Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 27, 2015
As I said in my review of Wuthering Heights by the other Bronte sister, Emily, this is a classic of 19th CT. English literature, and a masterpiece of Romantic fiction, already lengthily reviewed by scholars. I liked it even more than the other one for the greater complexity of the protagonist, Jane Eyre. She is a fascinating woman, who behind her humility hides a very intelligent, sensitive, deep personality, very determined and courageous. I enjoyed the witty, intelligent dialogue between Jane and Rochester, another captivating character, who is hiding behind the mask of a rough, demanding, curt and spiteful man a very sensitive and passionate soul. The plot is rich, full of suspense and masterfully written in very beautiful English.
on January 17, 2015
I think it would be too presumptuous on my part to write a rewiew of this classic of English literature, about which several volumes have already been written by scholars. It holds its right place among the most renown novels of the i9th ct., and it is a masterpiece of the Romantic Age, with its beautiful captivating story of the consuming passion between the famous characters of Catherine and Heathcliff, against the haunting somber background of the Yorkshire moors, in those times so vast and desolate. I enjoyed reading the beautiful English in which is written, and the picture of the society of those days.
I want to add as well that this edition with its beautiful leather bounding is a precious addition to a classic books collection.
on July 2, 2014
Of course I like this novel, but not quite as much as I did when a young teenager susceptible to falling in love with anyone vaguely Byronic. Or even as a university student, still under the thrall of the Romantics. This time I winced at Jane's righteousness; you know the sort: they will stick by their principles even if it nearly destroys another person. He may lose his sight, his great castle, and one of his hands as a result of her leaving him, but by God, she is still right!

Then there is the problem of the first wife. Others will know the books that told the story of her imprisonment in Thornfield Hall from her point of view.

So many times I was awed by the brilliance of Charlotte Bronte, her acute observation and elegance as a writer. By I feel I need something slightly less proper next to offset Bronte's thorough decency. I can't help that I'm reading JE in 2014, afterall. Next up: Based on a True Story. It promises to have some good old raunch.
on December 1, 2016
The main problem with this item is the format in which the book is printed. The book itself is as large as a sheet of lined page which causes it to be floppy. The text is printed in 3 columns on every page instead of having the lines move normally across a full page. The font size is also very small which makes it harder to read. Overall very disappointed and would discourage anyone from buying this version.
on October 26, 2016
I really like the look of this version of the book. It makes a great gift for someone who likes the story. Personally, I dislike the story and find it extremely boring and tedious. I loathe that I was forced to read and analyse every last word of it years ago in school.
on February 27, 2017
I will probably read this book more than once. This was my first time reading Emily Bronte and it won't be the last. Her writing is spectacular.
on February 15, 2017
Wonderful narration...lovely to listen to this audio CD of Wuthering Heights. Well done. Highly recommended!
on December 31, 2015
Truly a classic book! It is a book that is powerful, sweeping, and engages in the reader so that you feel transported to this era almost. Jane Eyre would be considered a feminist in today's era. She is strong, complex, and speaks her mind.
on January 9, 2012
I studied the novel Jayne Eyre while in high-school and loved it. Since then I have re-read it several times and have also seen four different versions of the movie plus a musical. I recently purchased a second copy of the novel to give to my sister as a gift along with the DVD Jane Eyre.

Therese
on February 3, 2016
In rereading this book after many years I found it most enjoyable. A great picture of life as it was in the author's time.