countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools

1,015
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 25, 2004
Wuthering Heights is on of the greatest classics in literature and one I had never read until recently. I found this story of obsessive and destructive relationships very compelling and difficult to put down. It's a romance but by no means is it a happy one. Things don't go well for these people.
Wuthering Heights is the story of two families the Earnshaws and Lintons, who really should never had gotten together. It's the romance between Heathcliff and Catherine that underlies the whole book. Heathcliff is defiantly the ultimate anti-hero, he's obsessive, abusive and just plain evil, but still you feel yourself drawn into his dark world and hoping that redemption comes to him. He seems beyond it however and his destructive behaviour forms the basis of this gothic tale.
Emily Bronte's skills as a writer are amazing, her language is poetic and deep and the story is truly unique. My only criticism is concerning the way she wrote dialogue for the character Joseph, it's often illegible and I found it most difficult understanding what he was saying. That aside I really enjoyed this book and recommend it wholeheartedly as a study of human nature as it is without the influence of a Divine being.
Thanks for reading my review and enjoy this book.
on October 26, 2016
I really like the look of this version of the book. It makes a great gift for someone who likes the story. Personally, I dislike the story and find it extremely boring and tedious. I loathe that I was forced to read and analyse every last word of it years ago in school.
on September 16, 2016
I loved the pace of this novel. Bronte's writing style is impeccable; the story-line solid, and infused with the propensity to evoke great emotion from the reader.
This one is timeless, and I will definitely recommend to any curious surveyor of the British classics.
on January 17, 2015
I think it would be too presumptuous on my part to write a rewiew of this classic of English literature, about which several volumes have already been written by scholars. It holds its right place among the most renown novels of the i9th ct., and it is a masterpiece of the Romantic Age, with its beautiful captivating story of the consuming passion between the famous characters of Catherine and Heathcliff, against the haunting somber background of the Yorkshire moors, in those times so vast and desolate. I enjoyed reading the beautiful English in which is written, and the picture of the society of those days.
I want to add as well that this edition with its beautiful leather bounding is a precious addition to a classic books collection.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 22, 2014
Like most books written before 1940, and especially those written in the 1800's and below, Wuthering Heights is a bit difficult to read, and there are several boring parts.

Chapter XV (I have a different edition) for me was incredibly powerful. I could feel Heathcliff and Catherine's love for each other burning through the pages. They get only one, just one, brief moment to confess their undying love for each other. The next chapter is equally as powerful. I could feel Heathcliff's despair and rage over Catherine's death.

"Catherine Earnshaw, you may not rest, as long as I am living! You said I killed you - haunt me then! The murdered *do* haunt their murders. I believe--I know that ghosts *have8 wandered on earth. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! Only *do* not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I *cannot* live without my life! I *cannot* live without my soul!"

This quote and Catherine's bold confession to Nelly of her feelings for Heathcliff are my favourite quotes in the story.

Wuthering Heights definitely isn't easy to get. So many characters share the same name and sometimes it gets dull. But when Heathcliff and Catherine are together on the page, it is passionate, heart-breaking, powerful, and you will realize why Wuthering Heights is considered one of the greatest love stories of all time.
on April 22, 2015
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? It tells a wonderful story, frightening at times because of its intensity. It amazes me that a young women in her twenties, living in the remote Yorkshire moors, could write a book full to overflowing with love, anger, hatred, obsession and, above all, revenge. Emily Brontë only lived long enough to write this one book and it's as if she knew that she had to put everything she had into "Wuthering Heights". Read it and be amazed!
on June 18, 2016
i am finding this book a very slow read as it is written in the old English; i am using the dictionary often which is an added feature of my E-reader.Hopefully I will become more proficient by the end of this book.
on July 23, 2003
One friend who prefers Charlotte Bronte to Jane Austen told me she would feel claustrophobic in the latter's world. And it does seem to be the common view that Jane Eyre is more liberated and complex than Austen's leading female characters. However, that is not my view. First, though, I must give the author credit for creating a childhood so realistic, so painfully vivid, that one cannot help but be moved by the first chapters. Jane Eyre the child is the quintessential homely loner in the corner with her book. Immediately one feels Jane Eyre *is* Charlotte Bronte, but it is terribly dangerous to take the autobiographical route in the discussion of a work. So this is no critique of the author's own life. Jane Eyre, however, becomes a self-righteous do-gooder, and the narrator provides all the stepping stones for her preachy little journey. She is wonderfully kind to the people who are horrible to her-- but we are oh-so aware of how much *better* she is than these ogres. And we know someday-- according to something in the Scriptures-- she shall be rewarded. Of course, a handsome, refined man of Jane Austen's world is not her final reward. She yearns for a rough, rugged, physically unattractive man-- though he of course has his eyes on a pretty young woman. This is a fantastic Romantic tale which may always win over teenage readers. It's just unfortunate that Bronte's moral view and understanding of human nature did not extend beyond this adolescent world. For instance, we must have the monster in the attic who was once the beautiful temptress from a sunny isle. This heavy-handed way with moral imagery is a sad weakness in Bronte's novel, a novel which begins with so much promise when the heroine is a tortured young girl. As a matter of fact, this book is the only instance in all of classic literature in which I prefer the movie (with Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine) to the original. On the screen we do miss Bronte's beautiful language, though like most novelists of the 19th century, she doesn't know when to leave well enough alone. Many readers enjoy the Gothic darkness of her language-- and imagery-- but clarity is the key to prose, no matter how many would wallow in a murky stew of sound and meaning. This is a Classic, for once that label is applied nothing will remove it. Yet for me it is a classic example of an inadequate style and moral point of view, both typical of Bronte's era.
on June 5, 2004
Is there anybody out there who hasn't heard of Heathcliff, the dark villian/hero of this high pitched and utterly committed work of madness? Oh, I love it. It was difficult for me at first. I'm a writer, but not a natural reader. But once I was into this book, once I stopped asking questions of the narrative and just entered the shadowy world of Catherine and her doomed household, I was quite literally spellbound. Bronte died believing this book was a failure. What a dreadful irony that this quiet, disciplined woman who lived out her life in a cold parsons' house with her brilliant sisters, her drunken brother and her eccentric father (The man memorized Paradise Lost: imagine. And outlived all his children!) never even had an inkling that this outpouring of her heart and soul would become a classic, overshadowing even her sister's highly successful Jane Eyre. Both Bronte sisters had the capacity to create archetypes -- to imprint upon the culture seminal patterns that endure to the present time. One last point: the father was Irish. Madness and genius in the blood, indeed. Enjoy it. I read it over every year or so, sometimes twice in a row. I study it; I watch all the film versions. I just love it, the way it works, its strange cruelty and enchantment.
on June 4, 2007
One of the most endearing, original and innovative novels to ever exist, "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte exposes the rawness of a passionate love that transcends time, life and even death. Emily designs her main character with such intricate layers that Heathcliff melts into both his juxtaposed roles of romantic hero and villain, whose venomous hate inspired by the concept of lost love, sends him in a downward spiral of vengeance. Such oxymorons are embedded into all dominating themes of this novel: artificiality and authenticity, love and hate, nature and culture. Her novel delves deep into the social conflicts, prejudice and discrimination that existed in the Victorian Era. It criticizes the art of cultivation for suffocating the human spirit and tainting the purity of a love that could not exist in our physical world. A novel of furious passion, Wuthering Heights defines the battle within each human being as the choice between humanity and society. Wuthering Heights manages to shatter all existing archetypes of conventional Victorian literature and truly defines the fallibilities, beauty, and strength of the human heart.