countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports tools

• Emma

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 9, 2003
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, follows society's elite through the trials and tribulations of love, pride, money, and marriage negotiations. This novel takes place in 19th century England and revolves around the slow development of love found between two characters. The first of these characters is Elizabeth Bennet, a clever, beautiful, and spirited young woman. Pride and Prejudice begins, when Mrs. Bennet asks Mr. Bennet to call on their new neighbor, Mr. Bingley. Mr. Bingley has an income of 5 thousand pounds a year and is not married, so Mrs. Bennet hopes to marry one of her 5 daughters to him. Jane, the eldest daughter, and Mr. Bingley begin to like each other during a ball. Elizabeth, the second oldest, meets Mr. Darcy at the same ball. Darcy initially does not care for Elizabeth, and refuses to even dance with her.
However, as Elizabeth grows to dislike Darcy, Darcy starts to become very fond of her. She and Darcy meet again when she stays with Mr. Bingley, because her sister, Jane, has taken ill at their house. Ms. Bingley, the sister of Mr. Bingley, herself hopes to wed Darcy, and seeks to make Elizabeth less appealing to Darcy. After Jane's recovery she and Elizabeth return home. There they welcomed to their home by their cousin Mr. Collins, who, because of the inheritance customs of the times (the Bennet girls had no brothers), was the heir to the Bennet family home. Together, Elizabeth and her family travel to town, where they met Mr. Wickham. Mr. Wickham notices Elizabeth, who he found charming, and describes to her a terrible deed he alleges Darcy had committed against him. Wickham claimed that Darcy owed him money and had denied him of a promised avocation. This new information causes Elizabeth to despise Darcy even more.
Soon Mr. Collins, the rather odd clergyman, proposes to Elizabeth. To her mother's dismay, she refuses him. Instead, her friend Charlotte Lucas marries Mr. Collins, and Elizabeth goes to visit them and their neighbor the great Lady Catherine De Bourgh. During her stay Elizabeth sees Darcy again, and he proposes. Elizabeth refuses, reciting all the terrible things he had done, including the mistreatment of Wickham. In response, Darcy writes Elizabeth explaining how Wickham had tried to elope with his sister because of her money. Elizabeth is forced to rethink, her opinions relating to Darcy and Wickham.
That summer Elizabeth traveled to Pemberly on holiday with her aunt and uncle, and while there her aunt and uncle wanted to see the beautiful Darcy estate. While visiting, Darcy showed up. Darcy and his sister heartily welcomed Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle, and invited them to dinner. Elizabeth began to grow fonder of Darcy. Dreadful news arrived during Elizabeth's stay at Pemberly. Her frivolous younger sister Lydia had run off with Wickham. Upon learning of the circumstances, Darcy sought out and found Wickham and Lydia, forcing them to marry. Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle returned to the Bennet home.
Bingley and Darcy together visited the Bennet household to call upon Jane and Elizbeth. Jane became engaged to Bingley, and when Darcy proposed to Elizabeth, her heart had changed, so she said yes. Elizabeth had fallen in love Darcy. They had both seen past their pride and past the prejudices that they had learned from society. Elizabeth and Darcy were happy in marriage, and remained forever grateful to Elisabeth's aunt and uncle for uniting them.
I would recommend the book Pride and Prejudice. It forces each of us to think about our roles in life. The novel also makes us think about our own pride and our own prejudices against others, and the need for us to learn more about people before we judge them. This book is also one of the greatest Romances of all time, bringing to life the love that a man and a woman held for each other from another era. It provides meaningful messages that all of us should learn. The characters are also interesting. This book is good for people who understand the use of language in the 19th century. Pride and Prejudice is a classic novel that I love, and believe everyone would enjoy.
on May 26, 2004
This is an amazing book; when I read it I just can't seem to put it down. This edition which is published by "Penguin Classics" proves to be a wonderful read because of the information included in the back.
Ms. Jane Austen does an impeccable job of describing the characters in the story. Each one has their own distinct personality which is part of what makes this book such a classic. Mrs. Bennet is especially cute, the way that she is always talking about the fact that she'd like her daughters to marry, and seems to think that it would prove to be the pinnacle of her life if one of them married into wealth. When Mr. Collins comes into the picture and decides to marry Charlotte, he can't stop praising the house in which will one day be his.
This is where the book really picks up. At the conclusion of volume one, an individual is left only to imagine what could possibly be happening with Mr. Bingley and his beloved Jane.
In this charming love story, two people learn to "get over themselves" and develop feelings for one another.
on July 30, 2014
Mr. Darcy wrote Lizzie a 5 page letter. Omg! I consider myself lucky when my guy writes me a 5 sentence text. Romance is dead :(

But not in this book. Some of the greatest love quotes can be found inside it. I felt astonished by the way Austen handled such direct characters. And although I do not wish to be as blunt as Lizzie in real life, I respect her, and find the story well deserved of its timeless classic title.
on August 23, 2002
I absolutely hated "Pride and Prejudice" when I tried to read it in high school. While I absolutely loved romances and novels set in the 19th century, when I attempted "P&P," I got as far as the scene where Elizabeth strolls around the room with one of Mr. Bingley's sisters and thought that all this walking up and down was the stupidest thing anyone could do and quit reading it.
I didn't start appreciating Jane Austen until I read "Persuasion" for a graduate history class that explored how the concept of womanhood changed between the late 18th century and the beginning of Queen Victoria's reign. Our goal was to examine whether the new Victorian ideal of womanhood was something women themselves embraced or a role thrust upon them. And at last, I began to appreciate Jane Austen.
By the time I got around to rereading "P&P," Emma Thomson's delightful adaptation of "Sense and Sensability" had made it to theaters, and I was old enough to appreciate that love at first site can be a disaster.
Jane Austen may have been the first novelist to write about love from a woman's point of view--and wrote at a time when marriages were becoming more about love and not just financial considerations. Throughout many of her novels, Austen struggles with whether money should matter in matters of the heart. She seems to want to say that money shouldn't matter, and yet recognizes that when a young woman's entire future depended on her husband's financial status, money still had to matter.
"P&P" begins with the wealthy Mr. Bingley renting a house near the home of the Bennetts, a family with five daughters, no sons and an entailed estate that would have to pass to the nearest male relative. Much to her daughter Elizabeth's frustration, Mrs. Bennett immediately begins plotting ways to snag Mr. Bingley for one of her daughters. At a party, Elizabeth first encounters Mr. Darcy. Overhearing his criticism of her immediately gets them off on the wrong foot. As the novel unfolds, Darcy and Elizabeth discover each other's true nature, and eventually misunderstandings are repaired, and they develop an appreciation of each other. The pacing of "P&P" more realistically reflects the growth of true love than many novels that I've read. Austen's witty commentary about courting rituals makes the book highly entertaining.
To enrich the experience of reading "Pride and Prejudice," pick up a copy of Fay Weldon's "Letters to Alice Upon Her First Reading of Jane Austen." Weldon's collections of essays to her fictitious niece enrich the experience of reading Jane Austen's novels by exploring what makes certain works absolute classics, what life was like for women in the early 19th century, and what Austen's life was like as she was writing these novels.
on October 10, 2002
You will find Jane Austen in high school classrooms, as inspiration for contemporary movies and fiction (Clueless, Bridget Jones' Diary), and at a book club or two. Otherwise, she is not part of us: Her laser-eyes, scathing commentary about society, and merciless fun at the expense of over-the-top piety are missing. In our current Press-Release era, where ads blanket our cities, and celebrities alter their image every other week, Jane would have a field day-- her observations would have been invaluable, her sharp humor liberating.
"Pride and Prejudice"-- the story of independent-minded Elizabeth Bennet's journey to a happy marriage and her rousing rebellion against the stultifying and stale social system of 19th-Century England-- is an adrenaline-rush of a book.
As Elizabeth battles the defenders of society (her marriage-obsessed mother, a condescending suitor, and several members of the "upper-class" trying to stem her promising relationship with the affluent and handsome Mr. Darcy) we sample a world where family, money, and class dictate your friends and suitors.
When Elizabeth and Darcy move to his stunning home, they leave the hostility of an uncaring society behind. Through rebellion and stubbornness, they have found Eden.
on April 10, 2003
I want to recommend you this novel,"Pride and Prejudice". Have you ever heard "Pride and Prejudice" and "Jane Austen"? I read it two times, last year and early this year. It's very interesting for me to read this book.
Jane Austen lived small village so her view about world is limited and her works mainly deal with marriage. A model example is 'Pride and Prejudice'.
There are many character in the novel. Many man character and woman character enter the story. At first, each person misunderstand each other but they remove misunderstanding and finally many man and woman character fall in love each other. The story is happy ending.
Many character point the other man's mistake but they don't know their mistake. They realize that they made a misunderstanding, they begin to know themselves mistake. I think many people make a mistake like the character's mistake. I also the same so I read this novel and realized many things. I presume that maybe the novel teach you many things.
The novel show character of realism. Generally realism literary work explain everything in details. 'Pride and Prejudice' is the same. Writer explain everything very detailed so people said that realism literary work is limited people's imagination. I don't agree with that because I think that the more detailed writer describe, the more detailed we image. For example, if the writer describe like that "There are a table and chair and a flower vase and so on.", I can image like that "maybe the table color is black and chair color is same, and.. maybe the flower are rose and forget-me-not. So I think realism literary works can make us more imaginative, just my opinion.
I recommend 'Pride and Prejudice'. I'm sure that you'll be intersted in this novel and Jane Austen.
on February 29, 2016
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Thus begins Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners. If you notice, the very first sentence itself is a masterpiece of tongue-in-cheek social commentary, and instantly paints a picture of the socio-cultural situation of the era.

You would think that it is representative of what is to follow; and to an extent, I would agree, but not really. It is just a very tiny glimpse of the mastery that Austen has over her craft. I could rave endlessly about the excellent plotting, or characterization, or even about how Austen's wit and the wisdom reflects in the narrative. But I realize that anything that has to be said about this book, has already been said, in much fancier language than I can ever hope to express.

Nonetheless, I am not going to let that stop me from gushing over it, because this has been more than just a book for me - it has been an experience - a very special one.

It is special for many reasons - for one, the language is delightful beyond comparison. I used to be intimidated by old texts as they are often dry and difficult to read, but I truly loved the way some words are used in this book, and wished language would still be dealt with in the same manner. But I also wonder - is it really the language of the era, or a superior skill of presentation that Austen possessed?

And secondly, I am amazed at how relatable and relevant this book is (even after 200 years of it being written!). The characters are interesting, the family dynamic is amusing, and kind of all over the place (but that is really how it is with all of us) - there's love, loyalty, concern, annoyance, and exasperation even!

Having said that, the first half of the book was kind of a slow burner, and while it was still interesting, it was going nowhere fast. But I labored through it, and the book just got better and better! The romance between Mr. Darcy and Miss. Bennet is not one that I am going to forget anytime soon.

Read full review at SHANAYA TALES DOT COM.
on December 12, 2003
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a very romantic story about Elizabeth Bennet and Darcy and the pride and prejudices of the various characters in the novel.
My favorite chapter is nineteen of volume three because everyone is happy. Elizabeth is married to Darcy and Jane is married to Mr. Bingley. Mrs. Bennet is happy because three of her daughters are married.
Pride and Prejudice is appropriate for people 15 years and older because it is interesting and romantic. I would really recommend them to read the novel because they would really like the novel.
One literary device that I appreciate was how Jane Austen uses the letters in the novel to advance the plot in the story. For example the letter from Darcy to Elizabeth told the reader that they might get married because now Elizabeth would know that Wickham was a liar. The way that she did that was when Darcy wrote to Elizabeth to tell her that Wickham was not saying the truth about him and that Wickham was a liar . Another example would be when Jane wrote to Elizabeth to tell her that Lydia had run away with Wickham. Lydia has to marry Wichham so that it wouldn't be a disgrace for the family.
I like the novel because it makes us think about pride and prejudice against others, and about knowing people before we judge them. This novel is also very romantic for people who like romantic novels. I would recommend everyone to read it.
on February 4, 2004
Like others, I came to this novel after years of it being pushed upon me like a drug. "Read it, you'll love it!" It took several starts and a snowy winter far from home to finally render the book's period drama elements understandable. As a student and fan of history, particularly women's history, I was initially drawn in not by the plot of the story (though it is what soon carries you through to the delicious conclusion) but by the fascination of viewing family life in another time. While reading it I began exploring life in England in the early 1800's. As with any period piece, geographical, political, and mannerly allusions are lost without some historical understanding of the time. Having taught literature, I realize that not every great book is for every person. The Bennett family are immediately presented in an amusing light but you'll see it only if you get into the language and manners of the time period. The book is very much a romance and you must be willing and able to romanticize to truly appreciate the heroine's struggle and change of heart. So don't feel you must read it just because others tell you to. But if you find yourself in a wistful mood, ready to be immersed in another world, give this one a try. Chances are, it will lead you to a minor obsession with Jane Austen.
on November 24, 2002
It is almost 200 years since "Pride and Prejudice" was first published. It ought to be the equivalent in literature of those faded, dried flowers that used to be found pressed between the pages of the old family bible. Instead it is redolent of freshly cut flowers still carrying a sprinkling of morning dew.
The freshness and the perfection of form are certainly astonishing. Jane Austin is as good as story teller as ever picked up a pen, knowing exactly how to construct plots, and what incidents and dialogues to detail in full and what to briefly summarize. Her "world" is small but intricately constructed. Every characteristic, quality and idea has a precise and fixed value, all being ranked strictly and sternly according to decorum, logic and morality.
Despite its architectural perfection, however, a recent re-reading reveals one or two construction features that are questionable. How could it be, for example that Fitzwilliam Darcy could have such a dragon for an aunt? I also wonder about the friendship between Darcy and Bingley. How did it begin? It is obviously important to each, but we are given nothing of its history.
Jane Austen lived long enough to see this book published and enjoyed amongst her own family and a small readership. Her mother entertained family members with it, reading it, in Jane Austen's estimation, a little too quickly. Distinguished British actress Lindsay Duncan reads it with perfect timing and inflexion in this highly recommended audio tape format, which presents the novel in an unabridged version of just over twelve hours.