countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

on May 24, 2015
I am only about Half way through the 750 page story of how these young aristocratic adventuresome men, estranged from their families, live an alternative life in the elite corps of Louis XIII's Musketeers. The language used by Alexandre Dumas is, to me, delightfully archaic and amusing departure from modern English. I suspect the translation from its original French has more than a few inaccuracies, but it nevertheless makes for a very diverting bedtime or waiting room read.
on April 4, 2016
A classic. I've read it several times and love my beat-up paperback but this copy means I can bring it with me wherever I have my tablet, too. This book is intense, hilarious and clever. A story I'll always enjoy.
on April 8, 2013
This translation of The Three Musketeers is a joy to read on Kindle. Not only are the typos at a bare minimum, but the story has been translated extermely well. I have thoroughly enjoyed re-reading this classic that I studied (and thus didn't enjoy nearly as much) years ago. Highly recommend this title.
on December 4, 2015
My e-book version of The Three Musketeers arrived safely with no electronic glitches. This is one of my favourite historical fiction books of all time, and I enjoyed reading it again. I will probably reread it a few more times! Highly recommended.
on June 28, 2015
Leaves you turning every page and saddened when the last one is turned.old language some I'm poo possible to translate,handy to have French as a second or first language to understand some words. A must read as a small thumbnail into history,war,language,and love.
on July 23, 2007
This Pevear translation Of The Three Musketeers evokes the thought, "such a good damn read; why did I wait so long to get through it." I award another plume added the chapeau of Mr. Pevear. Oh, this is wonderful!
on July 18, 2009
If you're going to read The Three Musketeers, which you should, this is definitely the translation to get. Stay far away from the Lowell Blair version, which saps much of the fun from the novel. I had read the Blair version twice before reading this and Pevear injects new life into an old favorite; he really brings out the boisterous and joyful tone.

Other than issues of translation what else can be said? The Three Musketeers is probably the best adventure ever told and remains one of my favorite books of all time. This version also has the cute cover art going for it, which is much less dreary than the drab portraits on many other editions.
on May 9, 2004
What can I say? My first connection with anything to do with Dumas, D' Artagnan, or the Musketeers came from this "abridged" audio book. Michael York is a very compelling narrator, so much so that I read The Three Musketeers for the first time immediately after finishing this audio book. Though I wish he had narrated an "unabridged" version I could not neglect to praise this work. The Three Musketeers is my favorite novel, having read it for the first time nearly a decade ago. This book still captivates my soul. And contrary to common Hollywood interpretation, the story is neither about Casanovas or sword-fighting. All of these features are here, but the entire collection of the D' Artagnan Romances is the chronicle of the ever-enduring friendship of four men. I strongly suggest you read all five (yes, five) of the D' Artagnan Romances. It will teach you more about the sacrifices that true friends will make than any other work of fiction I am familiar with. And this audio book is a great place to start.
on March 31, 2004
The Three Musketeers
By: Alexandre Dumas, et al
Reviewed by: E. Kim
Period: 2
The book is about that a young cadet, D'Artagnan, goes to Paris to be trained as a King's musketeer, who teams up with Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Cardinal Richelieu and his spy, Milady de Winter, are trying to thwart the evil schemes to save the Queen's honor. Milady de Winter has poinsoned D'Artagnan's true love and gets revenge on Richelieu and Milady de Winter. There, an another spy of Richelieu, Count Rochefort, was part of this evil scheme. There D'Artagnan was having a sword battle with Rochefort and there Rochefort got stabbed by D'Artagnan's sword. Then Athos, Porthos, and Aramis called upon an executioner to execute Milady de Winter. Then D'Artagnan was called upon Cardinal Richelieu and promotes him lieutenant of the King's musketeers.
I liked the book because it is an action/adventure book that all children and adults would really enjoy. I really loved that quote,"One for all, and all for one!" because that quote saids that we must work together as a group or with a friend. In this book, it saids that they say this quote every time they fight or they did it beacause they are fighing as a team. I think that if everyone did this book as their project, they would get As or Bs. Then they will be very happy.
There will be no people rejecting this book, because they think that this is the best action/adventure book published by Alexandre Dumas. The people should get this book, it tells about the medieval period, help on your history homework about what it is like during the medieval period, this chapter book can help you with your comprehension skills.
My favorite part of this book is when that D'Artagnan and Rochefort are fighing at the church, because the sword fighing has the same technique has the medieval period. The least favorite part of this story is at the beginning of the book, because, it tells the boring stuff, no conflict, etc. The middle and the ending part is okay, but the beginning is verry dull and it doesn't tell you what happens next. So, I really enjoy this book and you might enjoy it too.
on December 6, 2002
THere is a reason that most classics are regarded as classics: they are timeless and very fun to read, often far more interesting fun than you would imagine. THis is a long book, 900 pages in the French version, but I sliced through so fast that I was sorry when it ended.
The plot outline is simple. The four musketeers - for there really are four - want to help the queen in her love for Lord Buckingham of England. All the rest is intrigue and adventure related to that. But the episodes are so funny, the chemistry between the characters so subtle and realistic, that it makes for a truly great read. Indeed, the characters of the musketeers are so well drawn, their inter-relations so complex, that a film or even a miniseries simply cannot do it justice. The glimpses at historical personnages is also fascinating, from Richelieu to Louis XIII. Finally, you get a flavor for the Paris of that epoch, with the rumbling of the religious wars in the background. But this is not a dark book, Like the Reine Margot: it is a great frolic of brotherhood and good guys and bad guys. Taken for what it is, it is one of the greatest.
Highly recommended.