boutiques-francophones countdown Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on March 27, 2009
At its core, 'Three Day Road' is an paean to a time, a society, a people. And for me, this was the most difficult aspect to deal with. (I'm talking about native North Americans here, not WWI, where the story is set. Though I feel obliged to add that I'm finding my tolerance for 'reverence of war efforts' has been consistently sliding over the years. This is *war* I'm talking about, not the soldiers called on to sacrifice in its name.) Boyden's stark style lends a very powerful voice to the paean, stripping away all artifice, leaving the reader with unadorned truths.

The fact that he was able to weave two different stories from three different perspectives was a striking counterpoint to the simplicity of style, and because all three POVs were those of native peoples, the voices themselves rang true; there was no blurring, no faux pas on any cultural levels, and this was an important victory for me, because it allowed the tale to unfold with its own distinct integrity, intact.

'Three Day Road' is by turns wistful, brutal, harrowing, heart-wrenching, sobering. It is a loving testament to a maligned and forgotten people, and I'm grateful to the author for having crafted a novel that honours so much. It might not be an easy read, but it is satisfying in ways that will stay with you long after its completion.
on March 4, 2007
Some of the war scenes were too gruesome for my tastes, but necessary. The stories Niska offered made up for the brutality. Well worth the read!

I can hardly wait to see what Joseph Boyden does next!
on September 14, 2009
I purchased this book based on Amazon's recommendation and the description they provided. I have to say this is one of my favourite books of the last couple of years. The opening chapter really grabbed me...even brought tears to my eyes, not many books do that right from the outset. The detail of native life and mysticism in northern Canada and the awful life in the trenches during the latter part of the First World War were engaging, shocking, educational, emotional...etc. The author's bio was also very interesting, I will be buying his other book offered on Amazon.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 19, 2010
This novel does a fantastic job of recreating World War I in the imagination, tying it together with the First Nations history in Canada. The battle scenes and the descriptions of what happen to the soldiers involved are a real treasure.

My only complaint is that the book is over-long and the "shocking" twist at the end undermines the sense of reality that the book otherwise engenders. The fact that you are expecting some tiresome "surprise" rather reduces its impact. Otherwise, a fantastic book.
on March 24, 2016
A gritty, haunting tale of two First Nations young men who go to the battlefields of WWI. Aside from the pretty needless sex scenes in the book that seem either forced or unnecessary, the book is fantastic. The downward spiral of the brother who scalps the German soldiers is unforgettably dark. A pleasant surprise, and a beautiful tale of the healing of one's body and soul after years of darkness. Really enjoyable.
on May 8, 2014
I will likely read again. Based on the experience of a native Canadian soldier during the Great War as told from his point of view and his aunt who raised him according to the traditional ways. Highly recommend this Canadian author.
on March 3, 2016
I enjoyed the pacing and storytelling aspects of this book. The horrors of war were blended with a perspective on the natural and spiritual realms.
on May 20, 2013
Although difficult to read at times because of the experiences it relates, it presents a strong profile of the unspeakable acts performed in war.
on March 18, 2014
Excellent book - a good portrayal of the horrors of the trenches with a different slant. I found some parts a bit long and drawn out.
on October 3, 2013
I enjoyed reading this well written novel about the very difficult times in WW 1
I've never experienced this of course