Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 20, 2018
Amy,

You are everything that I see in my Chinese wife, and mother of our 10 year-old.

I am Canadian, of mostly Northern European decent.

I think the largest point for others to understand is that kids who are being 'helped' along in their educational pursuits, to the level that a Tiger mom will 'offer', is that these kids know the rules. They are going to get hit hard with words if they show disrespect, by way of laziness.

What some may see as abusive insult is really just verbal inspiration. The kids understand this.

It's only taken me 14 yeas (and the reading of your book this eve) to draw upon the conclusion that my kid is tough, he can handle his Tiger mom, just as she can handle he.

Meaning, if you set the bar high, kids will adjust to that target, just as if you set the bar low.....

Amy, thanks for the humor!

This was a wonderful read!

Cheers
Hening
on June 1, 2011
This is a very informative read and some insight into Chinese(mainly) mothers who push their kids hard. I look forward to other "tales" by this writer. I experience the concerns my students have even up here in the north( I tutor Canadians in English mainly Chinese students who in addition to a Tiger mother's shove up the academic ladder, want to do more themselves). A great price and the delivery was prompt.
2 people found this helpful
on March 20, 2017
I really enjoyed this book. All of the negative publicity made me think that this book was not worth reading. However, I am so glad that I changed my mind. It is wonderful! So funny and entertaining. I recommend it to all of my mother friends.
on November 16, 2013
Super interesting read. Chua's discipline and demand approach made me realize how free and lax my own amazing childhood was. I never thought of her as a villain, I admired the energy she had to keep pushing and pushing her daughters, even past the point of ostracization. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, her daughters are disciplined, talented and successful.
on April 7, 2018
meh
on June 5, 2015
Well written, funny at times. Had me questioning whether the western way of parenting was right or wrong at times.
on February 19, 2011
Chinese parenting or Western parenting - which one is better? I never really gave much thought in the past about any specific differences between the two styles. I did, however realize that a lot of Asian children seem to be more `gifted' academically, technologically, and musically but put it down to longer school hours and Saturday classes in the Asian world.

Battle Hymn Of The Tiger Mother is the true story of a Chinese Mom raising her two Chinese/American daughters in the Chinese parenting way. The level of respect, obedience, altruism, and integrity that is expected from the child(ren) is almost mind-numbing! An immensely enjoyable book that had me pulled in from the first page where Ms. Chua lists some things that Chinese mothers would NEVER EVER allow their Chinese children to do. I understood completely the comparisons and the clash of cultures and the bluntness and almost arrogant and insulting way these children are raised in.

In the end, who is the better parent? Well, that is for each of you to decide after you've read this amazing, humbling, and brutally honest story. I'd highly recommend this book to any one, I read it in one sitting, it mesmerized me!
9 people found this helpful
on October 22, 2015
Okay
on August 20, 2011
There's lots to admire in this parenting saga. I'm glad to see such strong conviction that kids are strong and don't need protection from challenges. The whole family network including the dogs gets into the drama, and things get hotter than hell's kitchen. It's a titanic clash of wills that I wish every family would discuss.

Amy Chua doesn't really care if her kids get rich or famous. She just want's them to stand head and shoulders above all competitors, for the sheer excellence of it. She's an Olympic mom. I don't think it's a Chinese thing. It's an immigrant thing. Lot's of people in China are far more concerned to fit in than to stand out.

Maybe we're all prone to assume that something or other is the greatest thing in life, be it money, fame, love, religiosity, or whatever. And if that chosen whatever is the greatest thing, then do we have any valid excuse not to go flat out for the gold medal in that, even if it's to the exclusion of almost everything else?

Chua's book makes you think, and we need to think a lot. We know those kids on the Olympic podiums spent their entire childhoods striving for their moments of glory. We know there were huge costs. We also know that the kids who never really strove for anything have no future we'd want. But is life just a relentless competition for the top spot? Or does the art of life involve finding the best balance?

--author of A Galaxy of Immortal Women: The Yin Side of Chinese Civilization
3 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2011
As difficult as it was to read a large part of this book, it's a true disservice to criticize it before you finish it. I can see why it would be easy to throw the book down in disgust after the first few chapters, but if you waited for the punchline, you'd come away with something much different.

The first two thirds of the book is a straight forward recounting of a driven mother enforcing her delusions upon her two children. She offers no insights and no evidence to back up any of her ridiculous assumptions about "Asian" parenting and its supposed superiority. If anything, I simply took it at face value as an interesting look at what it takes to get your child to elite levels of performance. However, it is a difficult read. It was not funny. And, as a parent (and a Chinese one), I choked at her unabashed abuse of her authority and power over her kids.

As I said, though, you have to finish the book as the lessons learned don't get delivered until the end, and I think it ended correctly (yes, Chua does come to her senses) . She concludes quite rightly that if your child grows up hating you, all your efforts would be for naught. We all want our kids to work hard and be successful, but if your child does not love you, then you have absolutely failed. The fact that her kids and husband have not left her could be attributed to her openness and honesty, and the love in her family is very apparent at the end. All in all, I'm glad to have read this book.
9 people found this helpful