countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 20, 2011
This is my first time buying a Chef Michael Smith's book and I can only say that I love it! I have cooked so far 1/3 of the recipes and I am getting amazing reviews from my family. The flavour'combination, textures, everything tastes so good and delicious and I have 3 children (age 7, 3 and 1) so, a very picky crowd! I would highly recommend this book.
on January 21, 2012
Let's start off with the fact that I don't enjoy cooking. So when I heard about Michael Smith's 100 of My Favorite Easy Recipes, the key word here is "easy." I have tried 4 of the recipes so far and I love them. Not all of them came out perfect the first time, but I know what to do next time (reading and paying attention helps). The recipes are not too complicated to follow, there are not too many ingredients and you don't need a lot of skills. You can feel his passion for making food and sharing it with company through his hints and comments. If you are not fond of cooking, you will enjoy this book. I am actually looking forward to making more meals with this book.
on September 14, 2011
I have all of Chef Michael's books and I ecxpected this one to have the same style of recipes. I would say that this is his best book to date, great pictures new easy recipies, all in all a great book!
on January 30, 2012
I love cooking/experimenting and was hoping that Smith's book would provide me with some new ideas and tricks to try. I got just what I wanted! His recipes have lots of easily accessible whole foods which I have used verbatim or modified for my own tastes with great success. The from-scratch rib sauce recipe got rave reviews from my company last night, and I can't wait to make the blueberry muffins again. I would recommend this book for someone who doesn't need a lot of detailed instruction but rather a reminder of the variety of foods we can easily make for ourselves.
on October 2, 2011
The only thing I can really say about this book is it is amazing!!!
I only wish Chef Michael came with it....I have tried 3 or 4 different recipes so far and will be trying alot more for sure!
Chef Michael makes his recipes so easy that anyone can follow them,I would and have recommended this cook book to all of my friends
and they too can't wait to buy it!!
on January 30, 2012
We've had the opportunity to try many recipes from Michael's book. They are simple and delicious and not to mention nutritious. I knew this would be a good purchase and so far I've been proven right.
on February 5, 2012
Every recipe I have tried is unique and delicious. Favourites so far include Italian-style meatloaf with olives and sundried tomatoes which is a wonderful twist on a classic, and honey mustard ribs which have a tangy, quick to make sauce. The recipes are easy to follow and full of easy tips and substitutions, for example, for the ribs, he includes a tip for folding two pieces of foil together to make a better seal if your foil is not big enough to fit your pan. Lots of nice pictures, and a well-organized index as well!
Michael Smith wins the "most likable Food Network personality" award hands down. Unpretentious, passionate and talented, he depicts cooking as a relaxing, creative pursuit and inspires confidence in his viewers. In his new book, Smith translates his on-air philosophy into simple but delicious and fresh recipes that readers can easily modify as desired.

Containing 100 recipes will full page photos, the book feels like the perfect length - not encyclopedic but both satisfying and wide-ranging. From Oatmeal Crusted French Toast to Honey Mustard Barbecue Ribs to Pan-Seared Scallops to an array of vegetables, grains and side dishes, "Chef Michael Smith's Kitchen" suits every taste. And yes, it even includes Smith's most famous dessert: Iron Chef Strawberry Shortcake!
on February 15, 2013
I have always been very fond of Chef Michael's recipes, and would like to address my attention to one particular item in this fine book: namely, the Caramel Milk Chocolate Mousse, found on p. 236.

Chef refers to this sinful concoction as "...the holy grail of desserts...." No truer words have ever been spoken.

Having made this item on many occasions, I would like to share several observations.

1) The making of one's own caramel from scratch: This is the part of the recipe that requires the most patience - yet, in the end, is the most rewarding. I have found that a shallow, wide-bottomed sauce pan speeds up the caramelization. The heat is spread more widely and evaporation occurs more readily. This cuts down on preparation time.

2) 250 g of chocolate are required. Consider using 200 g of milk chocolate and 50 g of dark chocolate. The end result has a titch more punch. As with any ingredient, the quality of your chocolate is paramount. I adore the Finnish chocolate (both milk and dark) made by Karl Fazer of Helsinki, certainly among the finest anywhere. Impossible to find at your corner store, I import it in bulk to Winnipeg from Viking Foods and Imports, Toronto.

3) Make certain to retain some extra chocolate and grate it on top of your mousse just prior to serving.

One spoonful and your very being will shine with a heavenly light....
on December 28, 2011
What a fantastic cookbook! My husband got me this for Christmas and it has turned out to be my favourite gift.

The recipes in this book are fairly simple and use ingredients that are normally on hand. Aside from a few recipes, I would almost always have what I need in the house to make any of these dishes. I have to say that this is the first cookbook I've owned that I'm likely to make every single recipe in the book. I very rarely cook from a recipe as I prefer to be creative, and maybe that's what I love about this book. Michael Smith encourages the cook to be creative and includes tips to help you do so.

So far we've tried 3 of the recipes and they are all fantastic. I especially like the Vegetarian Protein Power Soup. I made a pot, froze into individual serving containers and have them ready to go for lunch.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone looking for recipes that call for good, wholesome ingredients that are easy to find and affordable.