Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Nintendo Labo is available now

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(4 star). See all 267 reviews
on November 23, 2017
Story was alright..
on December 6, 2013
The book was good, It`s an easy read and it is entertaining. I didn`t particularely care for Frey`s writing style but others that have read it didn`t mind at all.
on June 4, 2017
Service was quick and item was excellent.
on November 15, 2014
A great book for anybody who has gone through or knows somebody going through recovery. It really helps you climb into the mind of a person suffering from addiction.
on May 19, 2017
a must to read
on October 2, 2003
A friend of mine saw me reading this book. He asked what it was about and I said "It's about a man's addiction." He asked what he was addicted to. "Everything," I said.
James Frey walks into a treatment clinic in Minneapolis. He is literally hooked on everything: alcohol, pot, crack, heroin, glue, everything. It's hard to imagine anyone who has abused his body to this degree and isn't dead. Frey is hanging on by a thread.
This is a horror book, there's no other term for it. Even if you are familiar with drug and alcohol abuse, you'll find this book frightening. It is a very honest, powerful look at addiction and how it affects not only the individual, but also every person and institution he touches.
Throughout the book, Frey is adamant about several things: He believes that addiction is not a disease. He believes that there is no God. He believes that his addiction is his fault, no one else's. And he denies the Twelve-Step Program. Over and over.
Just what does he believe in? His parents, who help him understand what may lie at the root of the problem? A girl that he meets in the treatment center? His own abilities to heal himself?
"A Million Little Pieces" is a hard book to read, not because it's formatted differently than most other books (no paragraph indents), but because you really can't stand to read such harrowing events for too long a time. Taken in small chunks, the book is very enlightening, but it's not fun reading.
I came away wondering what addicts do to get clean. Frey did not believe in the Twelve-Step program, but you never really know what got him through it. Maybe he's not sure himself. Regardless, this is an extremely powerful book. If you're easily offended by language, violence, and sex, this is not the book for you.
385 pages
on March 28, 2004
James Frey's memoir will take you on a wild ride, one that's certainly not for the squeamish. It's raw, convincing, tense, taut and compulsively readable. It's also at times a bit too much. Frey's style is unique and stripped down, with unconventional punctuation rules and almost-cloying repetition. There were times when his style seemed to over-complicate or over-state the emotions and events in his story. He could have stepped back from it in more than a few places for a simpler, and I think, more effective read. In these sections, the prose loses its sharpness and the style gets away from him.
Still, it's worth it. It's a broken life put back together on unusual terms.
on May 25, 2011
I do, Sort of. But what I remember most was Oprah. Everyone always remembers Oprah because she has serial killers on her show one day and writers who obscure the truth the next.

James Frey received critical acclaim--a National Bestseller-- for his book, A Million Little Pieces, a perfect title for a book which would effectively make his life fall into such. I rarely re-read books which don't steal me by surprise but I found it on my bookshelf, sitting beside books I appreciate to a much higher degree, grabbed it and opened it to the first page:

"I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin. I lift my hand to feel my face. My front four teeth are gone. I have a hole in my cheek, my nose is broken and my eyelids are swollen nearly shut."

Frey recognizes, through those swollen eyelids and with a hole in his cheek, that he is on a plane. Red flag. What sort of man ends up on a plane, without a chaperone, with a goddamn hole in his cheek? Surely Oprah might have questioned this. But a memoir is a memoir and a memoir isn't always factual. (Please note: The Third Sunrise, fortunately or fortunately, is) The bible, I'm holding my breath here, is also not factual. Frey scared all future memoirists with his tryst down memory---lack thereof----lane.

Search: A Million Little Pieces on Google. The first two pages: Wikipedia and, what a surprise, Oprah come up. Oprah seems to find her way into every controversy.

Wikipedia states:

"A Million Little Pieces is a semi-fictional memoir by James Frey"

Oprah's website has Frey sitting on her plush couch trying to explain how addiction erodes memoir etc etc while Oprah has her leg crossed, she stares at Frey, and her eyes could kill. See picture below. Nothing is worse for your career then pissing off Oprah. Ask James.

Oprah states (and I am stifling a laugh over here because the Guy in The Other Room is still sleeping):

"James Frey is here and I have to say it is difficult for me to talk to you because I feel really duped. But more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers. I think it's such a gift to have millions of people to read your work and that bothers me greatly. So now, as I sit here today I don't know what is true and I don't know what isn't. So first of all, I wanted to start with The Smoking Gun report titled, "The Man Who Conned Oprah" and I want to know--were they right?"

James responds, deadpan:

"I think most of what they wrote was pretty accurate. Absolutely"

What a brilliant response, truly. Bravo James.

She goes on and interrogates him like he has just killed someone. I must ask: why did she not notice that he had no visible scarring on his face? Would a hole in your face not leave a scar? Maybe addicts have great dental care in America.

Why am I bothering to re-hash this? Simply because in the first few pages of the newest edition of A Million Little Pieces, Frey explains that certain things were embellished for the benefit and readability of the book.

His (past) publisher Doubleday states:

"We bear responsibility for what we publish, and apologize to the reading public for any unintentional confusion surrounding A Million Little Pieces"

So, here's what we have:

-A seething Oprah angry because she has been made to look a little gullible. Oprah, understandably, does not want to be seen as anything but absolutely correct. She is a monarchy in her own right.

-James Frey, maybe a little embarrassed, but if any publicity is good publicity he couldn't have planned this any better. The book goes on to sell another million copies and as such, his life remains in piece.

-As for Doubleday, well, they went ahead and took James of the list of clientele. He finds another publisher and off he goes, broken nose and all.

Case in point: a man with a bleeding hole in his cheek would probably not be on an airplane.

[...]

Sincerely,
Natalie

[...]
on November 6, 2003
I have only just started this book but am freaked out by the dental surgery this guy endured without anesthesia. I understand(I think) that addicts in recovery cannot have narcotics for anesthesia/pain b/c it starts the whole craving cycle up again but surely there was SOMETHING thy could have given this man. He may be a drug addict but he is still a human being. I would not do that to my dog. What if he'd suddenly developed chest pain and they found he needed emergency bypass surgery.....now they wouldn't have split his chest open without anesthesia would they? I'm not crazy about his writing style but I am compelled to keep reading this tragic story.
on August 21, 2003
James Frey was a tortured drug/alcohol addict, and his autobiography was a grueling manual on the forays of living a self-induced purgatory on Earth. After reading about Frey's abuse of crack, alcohol, glue and every other possible inhalant, I experienced the author's torture first hand, and I was stirred accordingly. At one point in his recovery plan, Frey was forced to write a comprehensive account of his sins (in addition to those involving substance abuse). Frey's account of misdoings was full of hatred, evil and cruelty. Frey was not a likable guy. Ironically, Frey was of the opinion that all blame for his descent into Hades rested solely on his shoulders. Frey refused to blame his environment, his parents, biological influences or heredity. Far be it for Frey to name genetic anomalies for his abusive drug induced life. However, during one therapy session, it was revealed that Frey suffered from a horribly painful ear infection during infancy that went untreated/undetected until he was a youth. The parents recognized their son's constant crying as abnormal, but had no way of knowing that it was a cry of physical pain. Perhaps infant Frey developed hatred towards his parents and used drugs to lash out at them because of a subconscious memory of his constant untreated physical agony. Nevertheless, even faced with this possibility, Frey refused to blame his parents and their inability to alleviate the ear pain.
When the book began, Frey awoke from a stupor on an airplane. He was a physical mess, and he had missing teeth and a hole in his cheek. His clothes were covered with spit, urine, vomit and blood. Frey's despondent parents were finally able to get their tortured son into rehab. Almost all of Frey's account occurred inside the rehab center. Frey met many intriguing damaged individuals (an ex champion boxer, a judge, a university professor, etc.) inside the unit, and his account of their stories was mesmerizing to read. Frey also met a troubled drug-addicted whore in rehab and fell deeply in love with her. All of these stories, along with Frey's own personal elucidation, made for an incredible read. Sadly, Frey remained unconvinced that the AAA 12-steps program or God had anything to do with his sobriety before, during or after rehab. Frey was convinced that the changes that converted him from a near dead zombie to a chain-smoking, married, drug-free, relatively valuable member of society were totally self-induced. Frey simply made the choice to stop abusing and that was enough to make it so. Sure Frey!
Jay's Grade