countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on May 17, 2015
I am not a runner...

This book's title grabbed my attention enough to read the "A hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen"... then I read the reviews. Before I knew it, I was curious enough to buy the book! What a journey, after starting the book I had to give up on a little sleep and could barely put it down. No, it is not a book about just running or sport - not at all, it is book full of fantastic stories! Highly entertaining, superbly written and best of all - it's based on facts and truth. Reading it makes you want to go for a run, yes, but more than that - it teaches human history, it teaches human present and how to protect your body and mind. Top 10 diseases killing North Americans today could be all but gone ... how? Read this book and find out. Isn't that a bold claim?

This book surpassed my expectations by a very long margin! So much so, that I am actually thinking of becoming a runner... or maybe I've always been one, born to run...
on June 25, 2014
A very nicely written and inspirational book. In the age of fancy running gears and injuries, it is humbling to read about people who still run just for the fun of it. I see my little one's face light up with joy every time he breaks into a run and that is the smile I imagine on the Raramuris. McDougall's narration is very gripping. He does a good job of explaining the science and brings in various characters (some quirky and some borderline insane) adding a lot of wit.
I bought three copies of this book as gifts (so far) for friends and family and always recommend this to anyone who loves running.
on December 10, 2013
This was a fun read and got me really interested in the subject of barefooting which caused me to buy 2 other books. I now run barefoot and even walk around barefoot as much as possible now.

Way better posture and no more pain. I love running now like a game instead of a chore.
on July 16, 2015
The characters are very interesting and the story is well told. I enjoyed the insight into world of ultra-running.

The book hangs at few particular points when the story is set aside to present theories of human evolution and how running may have figured in. Theorizing evolutionary branches is a ridiculous exercise, I felt like I was wasting time and brain cells when it was obvious where the line of thought was heading.

Still, I enjoyed the read. If not for the evolutionary guesswork I would have rated higher.
on February 1, 2014
I loved this book for its story and research. Christopher McDougall was one of the regular washed up run-for-health kind of people looking for a better way to run. He risks, falling off a cliff, snake bites, drug dealers, dehydration and a slew of set backs to learn the secrets of running better and farther. He discovers the super human Mexican tribe, the Tarahumara runners and world class coaches and runners to undergo a crazy 100 mile plus race through treacherous bad lands. I liked the explanations that McDugall gave to people's natural ability to run and how running barefoot and in worn out runners is healthier and more beneficial than the high end running shoes we have all been duped into wearing.

This book really inspired me to continue and improve my own running. Runners and fitness enthusiasts will love it.
on April 26, 2012
I'm glad this book was recommended to me. There was a thrill and feeling of personal adventure that went along with reading about the feats of endurance undertaken with the ultra-distance races described. It made me want to run and although I think that I'll always plod along at short distances the book is an inspiration at keeping me out there pounding the pavement. Dream along with other readers and runners as the author delves deep into the mystique and history of distance running. Learn about shoes, injuries, and the personalities behind some of the greatest races ever performed. Even if you are not a runner you will probably find the book interesting and a page turner.
on December 8, 2015
I found a list on here of recommended books that mentioned this book. So, being a running enthusiast, I decided to borrow the book from the library. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. The information is compelling, the story captivating, and even non-runners will be pulled in by this non-fiction book.

Needless to say, I bought the book, and I'm currently reading it again. And it's still just as captivating the second time around.
on August 13, 2009
Without doubt, "Born to Run" is a book that will entertain you, teach you a thing or two that you didn't know before, and get you thinking about joining the next marathon near you. The book is divided into two parts: one part narrative on ultra-runners, the Tarahumara people, and the incredible long distance race you've never heard of; the second part is an anthropological and scientific analysis of human evolution.

There is no doubting McDougall's writing, he knows a good story when he sees one. The stories about Barefoot Ted, Jenn and Billy, descriptions of the Copper Canyon in Mexico, are all highly engaging. However, McDougall's exploration of the scientific part is incomplete at best. For every study and report that shows that barefoot running is better for you and that persistence hunting was the reason for modern human development, there are peer-reviewed academic studies and reports by scientists that refute the claims made in the book, none of which McDougall includes.

Overall, I found this a very interesting and quick read and I gather most readers will as well. My only caution is to take McDougall's claims with a grain of salt and to seek more complete information if the topic so interests you.
on October 12, 2013
For anyone that has 'wanted to want to run' this book is for you. I tried running off and on for years and injured myself almost every time out (shin splints mostly, with an impact fracture of my right leg that ended my experiments ten years ago). This book rekindled my desire to try again, with new data about what I was doing wrong (chunky running shoes, landing on my heels) and why. I've been going strong for months and I owe it all to this book.

Written in a very engaging style, Born to Run is a joy to read.
on March 16, 2014
Read this book in one sitting, unable to put it down! Even if you have no interest in running, it is a well told story that is both captivating and informative. I found it to be very inspiring and have since put into practise it's basic concepts. I would rate it as the best fitness reading I've done. I would recommend following this read with Eric Orton's "The Cool Impossible" as they are a natural fit and together these books are assisting me with my new goals.