Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite sports Tools

Customer reviews

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$25.23+ Free shipping

on March 2, 2016
This. It changed my life.

The author might've been a mormon and I might find some of their acts horrendous, he might've said stupid homophobic stuff, the theory behind his book is so solid that we can judge these actions as having strayed from the principles he was enlightened enough to isolate and put into words. But as he said it, they are so vast that life isn't enough to fully understand and master them, which is why we must teach them to the next generations, so that they can continue perfecting them.

I was very low in life when this book landed in my hands. And with the help of it, I was able to change myself in ways I couldn't have hoped for. But to read this, you must at least be strong enough to discriminate against the pure principles he tries to transmit, and his own vision of them. But in his writings I get the feeling that he is intelligent enough to let people be their own judges. His own biais is only human, and if you understand that you won't hold him grief like some people I have seen, who rejected these principles solely on that. Their loss (and society's).

This book has material for years and years of deep reflexion and personal growth. I've been on this series for more than 10 years and I haven't finished, and I feel it's the only personal growth book I'll ever need. And once you start to make those principle yours, you will know how to apply them to your own thoughts and beliefs. Even if he's a very heteronormative and prude mormon and you're, say, a BDSM transsexual pagan. Trust me. This books tells you how to trust in yourself and build your own road.

I cried when he died. I wish I could've met him, even if I do believe we would've had a very hard time relating, because are values are too different.
on December 16, 2013
I have read 7 habits for successful man, i really buy-in the idea the author gives to me.so i want my family to be happy and effective, so i bought this book
on September 4, 2014
Good read. Good transaction.
on October 13, 2014
It is a very good book
on April 20, 2003
This book takes the concepts outlined in "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" to a much more accessible level.
While the original "7 Habits" were lauded for their content, at times they were criticized for the generally business oriented approach chosen.
"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" renders these principles much more accessible and provides easy to follow advice that can be applied in day to day life.
Subsequently, by applying the principles presented in "The 7 Habits", they will become just that - Habits! As habits they are exercised/applied without thinking about them anymore, therefore eliminating the need to constantly focus on them.
The experience is somewhat similar to learning to drive a car. Initially a lot of attention to operating the car is required, because it is such an unfamiliar process. After a while, however, driving the car becomes a matter of habit, mostly executed on a sub-conscious level, while the attention can be focused almost solely on the traffic and environment.
For anyone not familiar with either one of the "7 Habits" books, I recommend to start out with this one, and then - if necessary, or desired - to read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" at a later point of time for the primary purpose of its more business oriented approach.
In order to be able to focus on business, it is worthwhile to already have ones house in order; therefore the family should come first - including the family's "7 Habits".
For a multi-sensory approach, I suggest to also listen to the corresponding book on CD. This will trigger different areas of the brain and therefore lead to a faster learning curve.
Reading by its very approach has to happen on the conscious level, while listening can happen in situation where the primary focus is on something else, i.e. stop-and-go traffic. Dr. Covey's soothing voice in such scenarios will manage to engage the listener on a subconscious level, driving the message home even more effectively.
on July 17, 1999
heard the taped version of stephen covey's the 7 habits of highly effective families . . . this was good, though not quite in the league of covery's most famous book, the 7 habits of highly effective people (put this latter one in your MUST READ category) . . . in highly effective families, covey relates the following habits to everyday family situations: 1. Be Proactive 2. Begin with the End in Mind 3. Put First Things First 4. Think "Win-Win" 5. Seek First to Understand . . . Then to be Understood 6. Synergize 7. Sharpen the Saw
i liked the countless examples that were used, along wtih the author's commonsense approach . . . one section, in particular, caught my attention . . . covey notes: The Emotional Bank Accountrepresents the quality of the relationship ou have with others. It's like a finanical bank account in that you can make "deposits," by proactively doing things that build trust in the relationship, or you can make "withdrawals," by reactively doing things that decrease the level of trust. And at any given time the balance of trust in the account determines how well you can communicate and solve porblems with another person.
he then proceeds to list some specific ideas--some "deposits" you can make in your own family--that may be helpful; e.g.: Being Kind, Apologizing, Being Loyal to Those Not Present, Making and Keeping Promises, and Forgiving.
on August 10, 2001
The use of the word "effective" in the title is a somewhat misleading. When you think of what you want from a family, you probably don't think of "effective", you probably think of "warm", "supportive" or some similar term.
But don't be thrown off. This book is an accurate guide to all of the positive things that we all want for our family. It cuts through the noise and points directly at the things that will lead to success in family life.
For those that have read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" (another excellent book), this follows the same principles but is more than just a re-packaging of the material. The discussions on how to apply the principles to family life is well worth going over it again.
on June 5, 2011
I listened to the Audio CD version of this book. The presentation was well organized. With breaks built in for thought, action and reflection.

The primary message I received is that strong families do not just "happen." They take work, thought, leadership, time and give and take from all members.

The anecdotes are relevant. The habits are doable. I came away from this as someone who needs to work on their family feeling that there is hope.

A very worthwhile read (or listen.)
on September 6, 2000
My wife bought this book a while back. I didn't read it because I figured it was just a repackaging of the original -- sort of like City Slickers II. This book is different in a couple of ways: (1) Covey approaches the 7 habits from different angles; I gained new insight into them, despite having read the original book several times. (2) Covey fills this book with examples that most people will be able to relate to.
This book is very welcome. Most of us who read the original 7 Habits book focused on applying it in our work lives. This book compels us to take another look at the Habits in the context of family. This is a must read.
on March 21, 1998
This is far more applicable than the original 7 habits book. The family setting is one of the best for applying the Covey principles, and this book helped me understand the 7 habits and give ideas on how to practice them in my family setting. I would recommend this book to both those who have strong families and those who would like to have strong families. Read it together.