countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(5 star). See all 140 reviews
on June 2, 2017
The best part about this book is that it's self-critical. Tim realizes that the methods and techniques discussed in the book may not be entirely correct (in theory), but he supports them nonetheless because he has first-hand experience with the results they produce. I can't put this book down!
on May 29, 2017
There is literally something for everyone in this self-improvement treasure! This book is so far above and beyond any fitness, diet or sport specific training regiment I've ever seen... the outcomes are scary especially when considering how comparatively little inputs are required!
on August 3, 2017
my boyfriend loves it. Good book for those who struggle with weight troubles or just try to stay in shape.
on May 19, 2017
everyone will get something out of this book, Tim Ferris is an original
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 16, 2016
I don't read book but I thought this would be a great one to start with. I must say after being recommended by a few friends who have read this, I also enjoy it. I will be recommending this book / guide to my friends and family .
on June 21, 2017
Read this book cover to cover.
on June 20, 2017
great book!
on May 8, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book and have adopted a lot of Tim Ferriss' advice. That said, a lot has to be taken with a grain of salt - or, better yet, just testing it out to see what works for you because everyone is different.

The most intriguing to me was his approach to weekly cheat days, in particular how to binge without negative effects. A summary from conscientiousintrovert.wordpress.com follows:

Tim Ferris already does an amazing job of condensing key info so I won’t summarize his whole 4-Hour Body book. However, I find his advice on how to binge one day a week very interesting. His main recommendations follow:

1. Minimize insulin release by blunting jumps in blood sugar.

First meal of the day should have 30+ grams of protein with insoluble fibre, i.e. legumes. This is the only meal that won’t be a binge; it will be closer to 300-500 calories.
Consume a small amount of grapefruit juice before the second meal for its fructose.
Consume lime or lemon juices for citrus.
2. Consume caffeine (100-200 mg or 1-2 cups of coffee) with the biggest binges to help empty the GI quickly.

3. Do 60-90 seconds of muscular contractions (i.e. squats or even just tensing leg muscles while sitting) before and after eating. This is expected to help fuel muscle instead of fat.

Bonus: cultivate healthy gut flora with fermented foods and probiotics.
on April 19, 2011
Love this book, it`s my bible now.
Sure the ways to lose body fat is eating repetitive meals but hey, it works.
I`m not too sure about avoiding fruits 6 days a week so
be sure to add multi-vitamins supplements if you`re following the fat-loss diet.
Make sure you drink plenty of water and most of all, feel great. (ok now i sound like some tv-advertiser lol)
on February 5, 2013
Give this book a good chance, try out his suggestions. And if you're going to review the book, pls read the damn thing first (darkshadow77 + others). No skipping intro's or skimming pages. Sit down and read, take a few days, try some of it out.

Over the last 15 years I've tried just about everything to lose bodyfat. Various diets that did next to nothing, excruiating workout programs, counting every calorie I eat. Nothing gave real results or truly educated me about what I could be doing wrong. They just left me hungry, tired and frustrated. And now 31, I was starting to think it wasn't possible for me.

Recently I even suffered through 2 60 day Insanity sessions (6 extremely high intensity workouts a week, each about an hour long)back to back while following their food guide to the letter. At the end I had gained muscle and endurance but still sat at my previous 31.5% bodyfat (funny coming from a workout that is 75% cardio). The worst part was I was completely spent physically and emotionally (not a great state for a stonemason to be in). I was truly ready to simply give up.

About 2 months later I had lost much of my gained muscle mass, endurance was in the crapper and my bodyfat% was higher then when I had started the program (even though I was still following their food guide, which is basically the same as every dieting food guide out there, to the letter. And yes, I had adjusted my portions to take into account my greatly reduced exercise routine).

So, on a whim while at the local book store I picked up this hefty guide.

First let me point out that reviewers such as darkshadow77 have obviously not read the book (btw Chris B, ty for doing such a wonderful job of pointing that out). WebMD does an equally poor job of it, going so far as to claim the author recommends sleeping only 2 hrs a day (he explains polyphasic sleep and how it works but states that the long term effects are unknown, as we don't understand sleep enough to say that the 6 hours of non-REM sleep we get are wasted. Nature isn't wasteful.)

Now as far as my personal weight loss goals are concerned. In the month since starting his "slow-carb diet" I have lost 7.5% bodyfat (slimmest I've been since grade 10) while eating whenever I am hungry (every 4 hours I eat a good size meal). I haven't counted a single calorie (btw, he does an good job of explaining why the buzz word calorie is useless on pg. 31) and my energy level is through the roof. And that lost muscle mass? I've put every bit of it back on with only 2 hrs of exercise total over the course of a month.

If you want to lose fat, gain mass, gain strength without mass gain, improve sex (and it has, very much) or just learn some useful information then you will not regret buying this book.

This isn't the end all and be all of "fitness" books. The author makes no claims that it is at all. But it's a damn good place to start, especially for those like me who have tried everything the "professionals" try and tell you.

I've come to the conclusion that those "professionals" have a vested interest in it being hard and taking time, makes them more money. I will literally never listen to anyone who preaches about calories again. If they want to discuss blood sugar levels though, then I'll listen (skeptically, as Tim suggests even in regards to his own book). Otherwise they are simply people who think a calorie is a calorie and that everything you eat goes into your blood stream.

If I felt crappy I may be worried, but I feel just amazing. It's like I'm a 18 years old again.

Money spent on exercise and diet programs to date: $1815 - results = minimal ; knowledge gained = next to none (same info repeated over and over, much of it false)
Money spent on this book: $31 - results = holy s*** ; knowledge gained = a good amount (and now much more able to figure out what is bs and what is gold)