countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle sports tools Registry

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on November 19, 2000
I am working my way back through all of the Datlow/Windling annuals, and although I love all of them, this collection is definitely outshines some of its colleagues (such as the third edition, which is the least thrilling of the ones I have read so far). Many of the stories will cling to your memory, and the scope of genres is commendable. The editors have found works form many different countries and languages and brought them all together into a very good volume. My favorite entries include "The Ragthorn" a truly frightening story about scholarship, information and resurrection; "Our Lady of the Harbour" Charles de Lint's Newford version of the little Mermaid; "Call Home" a truly scary story about a little girl and the man who doesn't molest her; "At the End of the Day" a disturbing and surreal narrative about endings; "The Poisoned Story" an upside down retelling of Cinderella in Puerto Rico by my compatriot Rosario Ferre; "The Peony Lantern" a Japanese ghost story and "The Witch of Wilton Falls" about human monsters and adapting to unusual circumstances. If you have read other Datlow/Windling anthologies and you want to buy other ones, get this one first. If you have never read these anthologies, this is a great place to start.
on September 24, 1999
624 pages packed with the best of the best! It's like having all of your best friends at one party! Guaranteed sleepless nights. This book is a must for anyone who enjoys good horror. I also recommend, Steward's--"Tales of Dirt, Danger, and Darkness" a new fresh, up and coming author.
on August 3, 1999
This edition is the best I've read yet! All the stories had some sort of magic element. They were all smart and well written.