Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

on August 6, 2012
A friend lent me his copy of this book after I tasted some of this bread at his home. As a long-time traditional bread baker, I was amazed that this was bread created without kneading and proofing.

I've been working with the recipes for the past three weeks, and I can say that this method and these recipes work like a charm. The bread is delicious: moist inside (even the day after it's baked), the crust is thick and crusty. It is remarkable.

While you can make very good-tasting bread with basic equipment, using a pizza stone and pizza peel as the authors recommend does help. The dough is good baked right away, but it is incredibly delicious after it's aged a few days.

I have to give the book back to my friend, so I've just ordered my own copy, because I can't imagine being without this.
3 people found this helpful
on March 9, 2016
For bread lovers this is one of the best books available, simple and easy to follow and the recipes are delicious. It is quick to make, I was sceptical when it said that you can make bread in 5 minutes until I tried it and it really is that quick and simple. Prepare a 4lb batch of dough in 15 minutes and you store it in the fridge and when you need a fresh loaf simply take what you need from your batch, shape it, let it rise for 40 minutes and place it in the oven.
on January 16, 2010
'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day' promises to "help home bakers make great daily breads..... and still have a life outside the kitchen". The book achieves this goal and more.

The master recipe couldn't be easier - I had to take another look to see if I had missed doing something and I hadn't. I love crusty, chewy bread and my bread machine just wasn't getting the tastes and texture that I like so I gave up using it. Nor was I prepared to put the time and effort into mixing, proofing, kneading, resting, rising, punch-downs and further rising time that's involved with traditional bread-making, so I started buying artisan breads which, while excellent, were very expensive. Having Hertzberg and Francois' delicious, satisfying 'master recipe' dough on hand at all times means I haven't had to buy any other kind of bread since I started using this book. It's just too easy and takes no time at all. I even find myself looking forward to putting a fresh loaf on and to trying all the other recipes it contains.

I feel like a bit of a fraud when I enjoy the results I get from making this bread - almost, but not quite. I mean, I do have to spend five minutes getting it done and no-one else needs to know it's so easy!
on October 16, 2012
I am so totally thrilled with this book, it's caused a revolution in our house! And, I think, for the many friends and family who have been inspired by the bread I have served them and stories I have recounted.

I am kind of lazy and very busy, a tough combination, but because of this book I now bake all of our bread - and we are a family of 4 who eat bread with at last two meals a day! Really and truly, I bake it all. The 100% whole wheat sandwich loaf for our day-to-day bread, school and work lunches. The master recipe in endless shapes and sizes for serving guests, taking to special occasions, round-the-house enjoyment. The olive oil dough is divine, I especially love it in the focaccia recipe. The olive loaf was devoured in seconds when I served it at a party. Endless great things to say...

So, is it really that easy? Everyone asks me this and looks dubious when I explain but it truly is. Take the master recipe, in a nutshell: four ingredients put in a bowl, mix with a wooden spoon, wait, take a chunk out and shape, wait, bake. Done. That simple. And here is the added bonus: you can store the dough in the fridge, often for up to two weeks (depending on the type of dough), so that when you want to bake a loaf you just take out what you need, shape, wait, bake.

If you have any curiosity at all about trying bread making and are daunted by traditional methods, give this a go. If you know how to bake bread but could not fathom doing it for all your bread needs, try their method. And if you just fancy smelling fresh bread cooking once in a while - this is the book for you!

Oh, I have to go, it's time to put this morning's loaf in the oven!
on August 8, 2013
I honnestly expected more out of this book with all the reviews it received on amazon.com - fell short of my expectations and for that price point I would recommend one of the bread "bibles" instead which are much more complete.
on March 22, 2016
Love this book! Gained weight though, had to stop making so much bread! The olive oil pizza dough is one of our favourites; so easy to put together and stores so well!
on February 21, 2016
Not expect to have mostly the seed cell.Only few have fruit inside. Very disappointed. Understand there might be different grade, but for AAA grade should have more good selection of fruit body. This I found out from different sources on these product.
on December 6, 2014
Amazing resource to have in the kitchen. Recipes are very easy to follow and go from very simple to the more detailed and involved recipes. I like that the instructions are very descriptive and that there are suggestions for trouble-shooting. Every recipe I've tried is delicious.
on July 4, 2015
Do you love good bread, but struggle to bake a good loaf? Does your dough turn to stone when you knead it? This book will walk you through a good method to bake great bread without expending much effort.
on May 16, 2014
I love this book. Instructions are simple and concise; and the recipes work well every time. For anyone who likes 'real' bread, with a good crust and tasty crumb: this is a winner.