Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

The Art of Fielding: A Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 24, 2017
This was one of the better books I've read lately. Kept me wanting more and really learned a lot on the art of fielding.
on January 16, 2018
This is not about baseball, this is a love story.
on August 26, 2017
Great read.
on August 26, 2017
Our book club selection for Sept.
on June 6, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, couldn't put it down and when I did, I couldn't wait to get back to it. I cared about the characters and their lives. Will read it again down the road I'm sure!
on December 24, 2011
There are very good reasons to find The Art of Fielding a most endearing read, and quite a remarkable first novel. For any knowledgeable baseball fan the conflation of many great shortstops in the tangential, yet relevant, character of Aparicio Rodriguez, as well as the paragraphs describing the choreographies of the middle infield, fully justify giving The Art a chance. For American-lit fans, finding the references, explicit and veiled, to Melville and Moby Dick, also makes the book worth reading. Being more of a baseball fan than a Moby Dick one, I confess to enjoying it on both counts. This is a very recommendable book. As for being "the best of 2011," I humbly disagree with the New York Times.
2 people found this helpful
on April 23, 2014
Had to read this for our book club. I disliked nearly everything about the book. There was no central storyline. There were 5 protagonists instead of one or two, poorly written (he jumps all over the place and there were numerous superfluous segments throughout). Definitely not recommended. I will never read another book by this person.
One person found this helpful
on June 19, 2017
Interesting read, great characters and I completely enjoyed the writing style. While a book seemingly about baseball wouldn't normally be a top choice for me, I'm very happy I came across this novel. Having finished, I will miss Henry, Owen, Mike, Pella and Guert. Highly recommend!
on July 29, 2012
Pas besoin d'être un amateur de sport pour apprécier ce roman. L'auteur propose des personnages diversifiés qui soulèvent des thématiques variées (sexualité, paternité, monomanie, etc.). L'intrigue est soutenue tout au long du roman avec quelques points culminants plutôt efficaces.

No need to be a sports fan to appreciate this novel. The author offers diverse characters that raise various themes (sexuality, fatherhood, monomania, etc.). The variety of narrative points of view on events makes the plot steady throughout the novel with some rather effective climaxes.
on January 25, 2014
This book is so much more than "about baseball," but it also raises baseball to a level that I've never considered before. I hope it's not long for his next book.