Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition Luxury Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

on August 26, 2016
Full of the quirky ideas and novel concepts you expect from any Jasper Forde book. I couldn't put it down at several points and am likely to read the follow ups, because I'm not ready to say goodbye to Eddie and Jane yet
on April 26, 2015
I loved this book! However if I had known that I would love it this much and if I had known the sequels were not out yet I may have waited. What a huge disappointment it was to find out I could not read the second book right away! I never rarely give books 5 stars but I would give this book more if I could.
on March 15, 2015
The story starts rather slowly, but the characterization is terrific, the plot extremely interesting, and from about the middle, the tension is retained all the way to the end. Thoroughly recommended, and persevere past the first 50 pages!
on January 21, 2015
Not what I expected.
on May 30, 2014
Great condition. Thanks. This is a hilarious book and a recommended read, can't wait for the prequel/sequel one of these days.
on January 7, 2014
In a world where colour hierarchy means everything, you better hope your hue is prefect.

This book has changed all previous opinions I had on what a brilliant book should be. It was simply everything I want in a book. A unique world, fun character perspectives, brilliant & quirky writing, it made me laugh and I could not put it down.
I've spent hours after thinking and trying to imagine myself in a world where I could only see 24% red or 72% yellow.
I found this book by chance and after finishing it I discovered this is only book one in a trilogy. Thank God for that because after finishing I was excited, but also disappointed that the adventure was over. I will re-read and then re-re-read and then re-re-re... you get the point, this book... and I cannot wait for the next one.

Favorite Quote:
"The cucumber and the tomato are both fruit; the avocado is a nut. To assist with the dietary requirements of vegetarians on the first Tuesday of the month a chicken is officially a vegetable."
on March 10, 2013
Since I really like all of this author's writing so far. I was pleased to see a potentially new world storyline. Perhaps a little more intense, but still fun to follow.

A good read and a good story. The comedy style suits me, and all I can say is read this book.

You will enjoy it -- especially if you like his other works
on February 11, 2013
Never read something as unique as this book. Very clever and a page turner. You just want to know more and more about the characters and this world of colors and rules.
on June 30, 2012
Shades of Grey is set after "the something that happened" and portrays a society rather different from the one we live in. The ability to see colour dictates one's place in the hierarchy and who one can marry (it is taboo to marry someone who can see the complementary colour to yourself ). The manufacturing of spoons is forbidden according to the book of rules written by Munsell and a person's postal code, allocated at birth, cannot be changed. Doctors use colour swatches to heal patients while drug addicts get high from peaking at Lincoln green.

This is a very intelligently written, believable tale following the life of Eddie Russet as he begins to question the oddities of his society. It has an undercurrent of humour, creative use of vocabulary (I have to admit that I needed to look up the definition of "retrousse") and a well-paced plot. It is a very entertaining and thought-provoking read.
on February 8, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this latest offering from Mr. Fforde. While I don't consider this his best work, The Fourth Bear holds this honour, it's still a very enjoyable and fun read. I never once felt the book dragged or was a challenge to read. If you've read Fford before you know his books are best described as children's book for adults. This again delivers in the thought provoking yet fun genre he seems to have mastered. While I won't give away the plot or any further details I will simply state, "if you're a fan of Fford this book won't disappoint. If you're not a fan...what's wrong with you. If you've never read Fforde before, there's never a better time to start than now." Enjoy.