Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Vinyl Day sports Tools

Customer reviews

All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 26, 2015
This was a wonderful read for me personally. I always felt drawn to Ashley Judd due to apparent similarities in her life and personality to mine. I'm so glad I read this book and appreciate her courage and honesty about her childhood and the pain it has caused her. Ashley's story offered me the validation I've been seeking from my own childhood which I have never been able to get anywhere else.
on March 5, 2014
This memoir is brutally honest and painfully detailed. I have been deeply challenged by Ashley's profound journey, and as a result, I have become even more thankful for the life I have.
I have highly recommended this memoir and will continue to do so.
on May 1, 2015
Exactly as described - delivered on time
on May 11, 2015
Didn`t realize I had ordered a `used book` - but it`s okay! It`s the book I wanted and I am enjoying reading it! It came before the estimated time or arrival. Very pleased.
on November 6, 2013
I really like Ashely Judd, but this was a gift. I'm sure it was greatly appreciated. Will let you know how the person enjoyed it.
on October 6, 2014
Great read - very heartfelt !
on March 6, 2017
I have always been a fan of Ashley Judd ever since she was on the tv show Sisters, i've also always been a huge fan of the musical duo of her mother and older sister The Judds. Ashley is very down to earth and has a sweet soul. She is very open and honest in this memoir of her life growing up being sexually molested by a family member, and tells the truth about the lies her mother has told in the past, especially the lies told in the autobiography by Naomi Judd called Love Can Build a Bridge.
on May 5, 2011
Ashley Judd's book exemplifies a courageous and soulful individual who openly shared her experiences, insights, and emotions.
The book is an account of the author's outpouring of her own life challenges growing up, as a young woman, and experiences during her philanthropic work around the world. The author's own life demons and dsyfunctional family, along with her own recovery, seems to have provided her with the lens to 'see' , understand and empathize with others. The book was no doubt cathartic for the author and demonstrates her commitment to awareness, acceptance, and action.

One key message in the book is that 'keeping secrets is toxic'. It is also a story of hope and commitment to helping others, demonstrating the spiritual principles that guide her life and own recovery. While the book reveals the many horrific situations that exist around the world, particularly for women and child, Ashley's spirtual disposition offers us something positive - a chance to reflect on the lives of others. By example, the book reveals we can take steps to heal ourself and/or make a difference in the lives of others. Would the memoir be popular if Ashley was not a celeb? Who really knows. Notably, Ashley's integrity and compassionate intention in sharing these true stories, revealing both facts and the realities of her experience, is evident. Her celeb status has no doubt facilitated her sincere commitment to the philanthropic endeavors she has undertaken.

The book is extremely well-written and structured, providing the reader with clear timelines and explicit accounts of events in the author's life and work around the world. If nothing else, after or during the reading of this book, one may not resist the need to take stock of their own lives.

Thank you Ashely.
on November 14, 2011
I enjoyed Asheley's memoir, it was a very honest and heart warming story, one that was therapeutic as well as painful to write about. I found her work with her charities and the stories that centered around those countries that she had travelled to, to be very sad, yet inspiring by her, and the women involved. The only part I didn't enjoy with the book was it tended to be very spiritual and hookey. I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the paragraphs were she tended to become very religious. I have always loved her as an actress, but found a new respect for her and the talents that she is using to bring forth the suffering and hardships that others are facing, and the differences she is trying to make. In the end, I would recommend this book as a worthwhile memoir to read. All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A MemoirAll That Is Bitter and Sweet: A MemoirAll That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
on January 7, 2013
While I admire her courage, determination, and her inner strength, and we all could take a lesson from this book,
I found it a bit long winded...