Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Home Office Kindle Paperwhite sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(1 star). See all 294 reviews
on February 13, 2018
This edition does not have the correct title. I bought the paper back version of Ulysses and I received a copy of Dubliners by James Joyce with a cover that says Ulysses. I don't understand how this is even on Amazon as this "oversight" seems to be intentional by the publisher to sell books.

I will be keeping my copy as a curiosity and will read it anyway. Buyer beware. Ulysses is over 700 pages and this version of Dubliners masquerading as Ulysses is only 100 pages or so.
on January 8, 2018
Kindle version Doesn’t have chapter titles or even a break to let you know when the scene is over. I was confused when I went from the first scene directly into the second one. Wasn’t until I looked at a hardcopy that I realized what was going on.
on July 17, 2013
Ulysses is (to me) the most important novel of the 20th Century. I have read it nearly every June since the late 1950s. I obtained a Kindle a while back, and have been reading on it, as it is lighter to carry and to read in bed.

Unfortunately, much of Ulysses has been maimed in the transfer to electronics: the itemization of Bloom's expenses (in the Ithaca section) is rendered absurd by listing items on on scheen and the amounts on the next one. Molly's final soliloquy -- some of the finest half-dozen pages in English literature -- is made nonsensical as "I'll" is reproduced as III (Roman 3).

Ulysses is still a great novel: the Kindle version is a disaster.
on February 25, 2014
I might just be too dumb to work my way through this unpunctuated trash. Sorry. Not for me. This tripe gave me a headache.
on February 6, 2002
(This was written in response to the Gabler edition of the text, but the website has it crossposted to all editions of _Ulysses_. So ignore this unless you're looking at the page for the Gabler "Corrected Text" edition.)
This is a review not of Joyce's masterpiece but of the Gabler edition. Gabler's "corrected text" is an appalling defacement of a classic book; it should not be used. For an excellent account of Gabler's edition--of the legal reasons for its extensive modifications of the text, of the dubious textual methods employed, of the subsequent scholarly controversy--read Bruce Arnold's excellent little book _The Scandal of Ulysses_. Joyce's book has now twice in recent years been messed around with by dubiously-motivated editors--more recently, the "Reader's Edition" that was the subject of a wrangle in court to suppress it--which is an absurd indignity to be visited on one of the touchstones of 20th-century fiction.
on October 30, 2000
Okay, before we start, I know you've never read Ulysses--sure you've dabbled or read the first 100 pages, but no one's ever actually read it.
I knew I wouldn't be able to read this beast--I've tried & failed three or four times--but I figured I'd read some criticism about it. Well, the critics have such overblown & grandiose interpretations of the book's meaning & Joyce's importance that they were alternately making me laugh or become violent.
But last night I had an epiphany. It occurred to me that Ulysses is the greatest hoax of the century, ranking with Conan Doyle's Piltdown Man. Surely, Joyce must have realized that Ulysses was the inevitable & fitting conclusion to the Romantic Age. Art, cut loose from the mooring of God, had steadily drifted away from the universal & towards the personal. Ulysses is the culmination of this trend--a novel that could only be read, understood or enjoyed by its author. Spare yourself.
GRADE: Hard to give a low enough grade to the single most destructive piece of Literature ever written, try (F x Googolplex)
on April 27, 2001
Recently I was staying at a friend's house and in the library was Ulysses, I pulled the book out from the shelf and started to read it. I knew the book was famous, considered by many the greatest book of the 20th Century, and I had a vague recollection of having tried to read it when I was still a teenager. Fully conscious and wide-awake I closely read the first 40 or 50 pages. I can't say I don't remember what I read, but I can say I had no idea where the "action" took place, no idea of who was talking, and absolutely clueless to what any of the characters thought. The experience was completely mind-numbing. I then turned to the last chapter, and turned page after page looking for the period at the end of that chapter's opening sentence. I don't know how thorough my scanning was but I believe the whole last chapter, several pages, is one very long sentence.
Joyce is an aesthetic bother of Marcel Duchamp (known for The Fountain, a urinal, now a museum piece) and John Cage (the composer of pieces for prepared piano, where the piano's strings are mangled with trash. He also is the "composer" of violin piece where the performer goes through the motions of playing without making a sound. I don't know if Amazon's audio capabilities can capture the nuance of that piece.) In this "club" we have a composer who writes noise or silence, an artist who exhibits a toilet, and a writer who is incomprehensible...long may they rest in peace.
Two positive things I can say about James Joyce is that he has a great sounding name and he gives wonderful titles to his works.
on April 12, 1999
You shouldn't have to be a literary expert to enjoy a novel. Why anyone would say this is the best novel of the 20th century is beyond me. Joyce seems to have many different themes going and breaks new literary ground in this lengthy novel - but why all in one work? This book is extremely difficult to read, to say the least.
This book has so much innuendo and hidden meanings that it makes your head spin! What's with all the foreign languages? A novel should be enjoyable and not so much a study guide. A blind man can see that ("tap tap tap tap").
What book would you wish upon your worst enemy?
Ulysses by James Joyce in any form.
Ghost of William Shakespeare
Friends, Romans, Countrymen - lend me your annotated copy of Ulysses!
Maybe Im being too hard on the book but I dont think so I will give it another shot in a few years with a copy of cliff notes in my hand but I dont think it will help very much can you read this you should check out the last chapter of this utterly pretentious socalled novel by the way dont tell reviewers of this or any book that they are inexperienced you shouldnt have to go to Joyce 101 to understand a novel I wish I could give no stars
on April 4, 2002
while most readers claim that samuel beckett was talented but no james joyce, i'd say that james joyce was pretentious and negative but no samuel beckett. while beckett's plays and stories are difficult to pentrate, they do have a recognizable theme and a coherent message that is conveyed after some rewarded persistence by the intelligent reader:the incomprehensibility and meaninglessness of the larger part of our experience. joyce, on the other hand, wants to play bohemian and toy with being an alienated 'intellectual' whereas it seems fairly obvious from just dipping into ulysses that not only does it not have a message, the message is that it's oh so cool not to have a message. avant garde writing can be great and, in my opinion, is greater and more authentic than traditional 'literature' when done right, but this is just mystification and nonsense sprinkled with some negativity and obscenity. i'll never forget that profound quote of joyce's from this mealy mouthed toilet of a 'novel':"the grey sunken c**t of the world." splendid!
stay away.
on October 5, 2001
There are few books that could actually change your life, as in change the way you view artistic creativity, and Ulysses is one of them; reason being because Ulysses is the bible for modern writers in its unparalleld absorption of culture and human folly. Typically, this novel is a university favourite as there is so much to discuss, unravel and admire.
I don't see how anybody can say that Ulysses is their favourite read. Like all of Joyce's works it is not particularly warm and, for me, wasn't a work to inspire and enflame the spirit. As you all know, or should know, Ulysses is the most important fictional text of the 20th century and that in itself makes it worthwhile to the patient reader.