countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle sports Tools

on May 27, 1999
Who could imagine that a book about the English language could both engaging and genuinely funny? Well, this one is. It is both entertaining and scholarly. The chapter on names and swearing are both gems. Many things are answered for which we never knew we had questions!
on May 14, 2000
Although this book has some of Bryson's wit and the character of his later work, it's missing a lot of the verve that his travel books have. It also contains wrong information, for instance the rather obviously false assertion that language is the basic mode of thought.
on December 9, 2016
Fond of stuff about the English language, I am. So I really enjoyed this Bryson book -- especially because there were a lot of things I hunted down on Google, following his lead. A good book to dip into and out of if you can only find the time to read once in a while.
on January 25, 1999
I'm a high school junior, and very interested in reading. I read this book and found it the most informative and entertaining book ever. My friend thought it would be just another boring history-type book. I read her a few passages, and now she is reading it.
on September 29, 1996
Written in an engagingly familiar way, but full of informative and interesting facts about the complexities of English. Essential for anyone who has an innate curiosity interest about the origins of the way much of the world's population speaks and writes
on September 29, 1996
on June 23, 2003
Can anyone right a book like Bryson? He makes etymology fun in this hilarious and interesting book. Have you ever why a certain word means a certain thing. Where did these words come from? This book will answer these questions and make you laugh out loud.
on December 5, 2016
I reread this book after a space of several years and rediscovered so many interesting bits of information that I'd forgotten. Bill Bryson also makes me laugh out loud....which I thoroughly enjoy. This book is a must read.
on January 30, 2017
Each book that I read by Bill Bryson teaches me more information and this one was no exception.At my age of soon to be 92 I still enjoy reading and learning many new things.I am a Bill Bryson fan!!
on July 22, 1999
This was a great book. After reading Bryson's Walk in the Woods, I fell in love with his sophisticated humor and wonderful style of writing. He is great author! This was another mind pleaser