Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Somewhere I'll Find You
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 11, 2017
Somewhere I'll Find You by Lisa Kleypas (Audio Edition)
Narrated by Rosalyn Landor
Series: Capitol Theatre #1

3 Stars - This book was ok. It was not very intriguing and I found I got bored of the hero just trailing after her because he wanted sex (or so it seemed to me.) He kept using the line “we both enjoyed it”…She on the other hand, just kept pushing him away and while sometimes that plot works, here I found it didn't. The writing was decent, not the best Kleypas I have read - normally I love her books! I will say though, when the characters were actually on good terms and discovering their relationship together, it was good reading. I wish there had been more of that.

This book took me a very long time to make my way through. The narrator did a wonderful job, which definitely helped me finish it.

~Paragraphs and Petticoats~
on December 14, 2003
This is an unusual romance between a disinherited British heiress turned actress and her despised husband, who she hasn't seen since her 4th birthday. Damon, the Marquess of Savage's wastrel father needed the money that Lady Julia Wentworth would bring to a marriage with his eldest son. Julia's father wanted his daughter to wed a title - a future Duke. And so two children marched dutifully down the aisle. They have not seen each other since their long ago wedding because neither of them wanted to be wed....or at least wed by force. Julia left home for a successful stage career as Jessica Wentworth, determined to make her way alone in the world. Damon has been seeking her for 2 years to determine whether or not she wants to dissolve the marriage. The detective he hired was not able to come up with any information after she left her home and family.
They meet as actress and noble. Sparks fly. She knows who he is. He remains in the dark and pursues her with mucho ardor. She is beautiful, intelligent, talented and he is a hunk. You can guess most of the rest...except Julia/Jessica won't give up her independence and career. Romance, love and feminism in Regency England = a terrific read.
Lisa Kleypas has remained one of my favorite authors after reading almost all of her books. She herself is quite talented, knows how to tell a story with the best of them and writes with flair and intelligence. This is not one of her 5 star novels, but it is still a terrific read!
JANA
on November 15, 2002
"Somewhere I'll find you" is the story of Julia and Damon. The two of them were married when they were just children in order to bring the two families close and never met after that.
As they grow up they both realise they don't want to keep this wedding. Julia leaves her home to become an actress and Damon searches for her in order to get an annulment. They meet without knowing each other's identity and find they are attracted. When Julia realises that Damon is her husband, she tries to get away from him but Damon runs after her. After finding out that she is actually his wife, he is begining to think that their marriage might not be so bad after all. Julia refuses to stay with him though, because she knows he will ask her to stop her career as an actress but Damon won't take "no" for an answer...
I read "Somewhere I'll find you" after reading "Because you're mine". I loved "because you're mine" and consider it one of the best books of Kleypas after "Dreaming of you" and "Then came you".
"Somewhere I'll find you" was a nice book and a definite page turner. But after I finished reading it I realised one thing: the two main characters (Julia and Damon) have never shared a true conversation in the whole book! They never really talk about anything: their likes and dislikes, their interests, why Julia loves the theater so much, why Damon is so rigid and autocratic. All these come as realisations and deductions to each other. In fact, the only powerful attraction between them seems to be sex rather than love.
Besides being an entertaining book, since Kleypas has the talent to write moving scenes and keep your interest, it is the most empty (from feelings) book I've read from her. When did lust became a synonym for love? As soon as it was over I felt that I didn't knew any of the characters and really don't care much about what happened to them afterwards. Besides the whole idea of their marriage, on which the story relies on, seems to be a little unstable since they both seem to acknowledge at the end of the book that their marriage was not a valid one anyway!
I would suggest saving your time and skip this book. If on the other hand you are a Kleypas fan as I am and have plenty of time in your hands, you certainly will spend a few pleasant hours reading it.
on January 10, 2004
While this book isn't quite as good as Lisa's best works, it's still a pleasurable read. Heroine Julia Wentworth is that rare thing in the early 1800s--an actress who isn't a prostitute. And, she's married, but no one knows it; after all, that's not her real name. The man she was forced to marry as a child, Damon, Lord Savage, falls for the actress only to discover she's his wife. Intriguing scenario, but as another reviewer mentioned, the reader lands firmly on Damon's side thanks in large part to Julia's hesitancy. Excellent hero.
Logan Scott is a fabulous secondary character and appears, as mentioned, in other novels. The triangle between Scott, Julia, and Damon leads to interesting revelations as well. A romance between side characters also adds interest, as do Julia's interactions with her parents. The scheming mistress is the least interesting and least convincing part of the book.
Kleypas writes well, as always, but she has only improved over the years. Don't miss this one, but realize that there are better ones, too.
on February 15, 2000
One of Lisa Kleypas's best books.
The characters of the book seemed very alive to me and I was happy to encounter a heroine that stood to her own dreams and yet knew when to relent. Damon seemed like a heartless person at the beginning, but as I read on, I started to find some very good qualities in him.
The back cover blurb reads: "All of London is at Julia Wentworth's feet. The beautiful, enchanting actress is the toast of the theater world--and anything she desires is hers for the asking. But the incomparable leading lady guards a devastating secret: a mystery husband whom she does not know, dares not mention...and cannot love. For years Damon Savage has been searching for the stranger his unscrupulous parents wed him to without his consent. Wanting no more than to be legally rid of the foolish chit, Damon is shocked to discover his "bride" is the exquisite stage perfomer whom he intended to make his mistress! But though his wife by law, Julia will never truly be Damon's--until he conquers her fears, his formidable rivals...and the stellar lady's proud, independent heart."
BECAUSE YOU'RE MINE is the continuation of one of the characters of this book. Although it gives a glance of what has happened to Julia and Damon, it's not as good as one would've wished.
S.
on August 28, 2002
I am an avid fan of Lisa Kleypas...I will buy just about anything with her name on it that I can get my hands on....so when I purchased "Somewhere I'll Find You", I was very eager to get started on it..... I have this thing where I can't leave a book until I've finished it...believe me..I tried, but I couldn't do it...to put it bluntly, this book was awful. The story dragged on and on...and the characters were not at all likeable...it got to the point where I didnt even care what happened to them..I just wanted it to end..I adore Ms. Kleypas, but "Somewhere I'll Find You" is definitely NOT a story that I would recommend.
on June 14, 2003
Well, I can really tell how much Lisa Kleypas has grown as an author. This book was put out in 1996 & it doesn't compare with her more recent novels. I do believe that alot of historical romance readers would like it, but it just didn't thrill me. As usual, LK wrote an original storyline; I really enjoyed reading about the lives of thespians. As in her others novels, LK made the characters come to life for me. There were a number of secondary characters that really added to the story & the hero & heroine were good people..... but it just took sooooooo long for them to come to grips with what each other wanted & needed - it dragged on way too long. I did major skimming in this one. Also, the love scenes were not near as sweet & sensual as LK's newer releases. However, I've read enough wonderful LK books that I will definitely stay a loyal fan of hers.
on May 10, 2000
I was immensely disappointed. This could have been so much better... Damon was an obsessive, controlling, stalking idiot. I did not want the heroine to be with him in the end... he was scary! She should have married Logan! And Logan was interesting--business and money. I'm sure the sequel is more interesting than this. Why did she keep coming back to him? Why do all historical romances have to be based on sex? Why do all heroines have to give in? And why do they all have to be beautiful goddess, their lovers gorgeous, perfect gods? But Damon wasn't perfect--he was obsessive. If this were a contemporary romance, he'd be put in jail!
on April 24, 2002
Both STRANGER IN MY ARMS and SUDDENLY YOU are better than SOMEWHERE I'LL FIND YOU. I am an actress, so I was very much looking forward to reading this one. But I just didn't find the chemistry between Julia and Damon all that exciting. And about halfway through, the book started to become entirely too long. Or was this because I was reading it in an airport? Who knows?
I've read the sequel, BECAUSE YOU'RE MINE, which I thought was much better. I found Logan to be a much more interesting hero.
on May 5, 2003
I found the characters insipid, and what could have been a really intriguing plot weighed down by "yes we can, no we can't type dialogue. "
The fact that Julia is referred to as Jessica only part of the time also confuses the reader, as does the character of Logan Scott, who we are supposed to believe resists the temptation to be her 'leading man' for years but suddenly decides to marry her and make her a business offer she can't refuse when the long-absent hubby turns up.
The supposedly pregnant mistress is just a silly plot complication, as is the feckless brother William.
The couple spend hardly enough time with each other to really get to know one another. The life depicted on stage as so wonderful Julia would never dream of giving it up is ridiculous given the nature of the theatre in this period of history, and especially given how actresses were treated.
A little bit of fluff to pass the time, but don't expect any real romance or high drama except between the actress and her father (or was that melodrama...)