countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on September 16, 2016
It's the same book I know, only now there is more of it.

The edition is nice, very portable, smaller than you would think.
on September 12, 2016
I like Gaiman. He's like a more mature, controlled Ray Bradbury. I've never read the comics, but I loved Neverwhere. And I really enjoyed American Gods.

Shadow, on early release from prison, attends his wife's funeral, gets hired by a god, is visited by his dead wife (“I’m cold, puppy.”), meets old-world gods and fey and heroes, serial killers and fortune tellers who lie (and even worse, fortune tellers who tell the truth), finds out where Americans really worship, and helps arrange a battle of the gods.

I really enjoyed this book. Mostly because of the writing, itself. If you're a fan of Gaiman you really don't need a review, because you are a fan of his writing style. (note: he is also very easy to listen to) The man's a born storyteller. One of the true greats.

If you've never read Gaiman, then this book is about a man who is lost, existentially. He has no direction, no purpose, and not much of a clue about what's happening, nor does he really care. The novel's about his finding a purpose, in a situation that may hold apocalyptic consequences.

Enjoy!
on August 30, 2016
Very cool book. I am 5/8th of the way through it and love it so far. It's going to be a tv show in 2017 so look up the trailer :)
on July 16, 2016
I had actually read Anansi Boys years ago, ages really, and very much enjoyed it, so I'd always intended to give American Gods a try. With the tv adaptation coming, I got that little extra push to pick it up. Five out of five for the book itself. Great writing. I've always enjoyed Gaiman's work. One out of five stars for paying way too much extra for content I cannot see on ANY of my devices. Not one. I realize my kindle is old, so whatever, but my phone sure isn't. So I settle for a three since I cannot review twice.
on June 22, 2016
Many of my friends read and recommended this book in highschool, now ten years later I finally got myself a copy. I can see why many find this book enjoyable and why it won so many awards in its time. It's very distinct in its approach to building plot and characters. If you're a new reader, this may be just the book that delights you to dive into the fantasy genre. However, I found myself struggling to get through this novel. Perhaps this is because I've been reading fantasy my whole life and this just wasn't anything super new or intriguing to me.

The main character mostly floats through the plot and the plot is like a maze with a hundred dead ends. Every chapter introduces a dozen new concepts without tying up any loose ends. To be honest, I tried my best and only got through 46% of it before I couldn't force myself to read another word.

A super interesting concept that's well drawn out, but it failed to take it anywhere substantial, instead feeding you little spoonfuls of icing when you want the whole cake. Since I did not finish it, I assume the whole cake is given at the end, but I want willing to stick around when there are so many other things to read.
on June 9, 2016
A fine, restored edition sandwich between delicious pillows of contextually significant content. Perks into process, learnings, appreciations, and even a counterpoint offering from a different piece, a contrasting perspective of you will.

I'd feel embarrassed that I've waited this long to approach the book except that I'm more than a lot thankful this is the version I dove into.

Brilliant work accompanied by bountiful preamble and afterwards.
on March 22, 2016
Really enjoyed this book.
on February 13, 2016
Bought this for my brother for Christmas, he likes it!
on January 6, 2016
Gaiman 's style is so unique, but I'm hesitant to call it fantasy. It IS fantasy, after a fashion, but so much more too.
on January 2, 2016
Following Shadow through America was an amazing ride. His trials and tribulations relatable for the most part. It was a fun read.