Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Vinyl Day sports Tools

on July 22, 2017
This book was recommend by a psychiatrist while I was waiting for an appt. I had some anxiety issues and there are some wonderful pages that can get you concentrating on other things and how to avoid anxiety. The price for the book was awesome. It will be a go to book and one I would recommend to others .
on May 16, 2015
The title is a bit of a misnomer but JKZ explains the phrase early in the book. Whether you're enjoying life or going through a major crisis, it's highly likely that this book and the lessons within it will enrichen your life. If these lessons on meditation were introduced into the school curriculum from age eight, I believe the world would be a much more peaceful place.

I had several misconceptions about meditation before I read this book and was pleasantly surprised by the simplicity and "real time" experience of mindful awareness. However, it takes work and commitment to remain in tune with the inner calmness and peace that meditation can bring. The instruction and exercises in yoga and body scanning gets us in touch with our bodies in new ways. You will also feel empowered to realize that there are alternatives to lifelong mental scripts about yourself, others, and past experiences. Although it is not intended as such, mindful awareness and meditation are consonant with principles of cognitive therapy.
on October 30, 2017
Easy to read and helpful presentation of the mindfulness approach so helpful to shifting how one views and deals with stress and anxiety of day to day living. Very refreshing!
on June 2, 2017
This is a very heavy book. I will keep it on my bookshelf and will try again maybe next Winter.... I will pick it up from time to time.
on January 9, 2012
Jon Kabat Zinn offers practical advice, hope, insight and practice to those human travelers suffering pain, depression and worse. This is my third copy, since each is ultimately given away to some friend in need. I cannot recommend this book more highly because it puts you in charge of the investment in your wellness. No magic potions, no pills - just learning to focus, to pay attention.

"He had also learned that the sick and unfortunate are far more receptive to traditional magic spells and exorcisms than to sensible advice; that people more readily accept affliction and outward penances than the task of changing themselves, or even examining themselves; that they believe more easily in magic than reason, in formulas than experience. These are matters which in several thousand years since this era have probably not changed as much as many history books claim. But he had also learned that a seeking, thoughtful man dare not forfeit love; that he must meet the wishes and follies of men halfway, not showing arrogance but also not truckling to them; that it is always only a single step from sage to charlatan, from priest to mountebank, from helpful brother to parasitic drone, and that people would far prefer to pay a swindler and be exploited by a quack than accept help given freely and unselfishly. They would rather pay in money and goods than in trust and love. They cheat one another and expect to be cheated themselves..."

Herman Hesse - Magister Ludi
on August 21, 2015
Really gets down to why we freak out and how to respond vs. react to those crazy messages in our heads! Really, really worthwhile reading. I have had this book for 10 years and I still pick it up on a regular basis to remind myself how to live more peacefully. Very practical, based in sound research. You'll also learn about mindfulness meditation - very valuable.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 31, 2017
Interesting. Read it right through.
on July 24, 2017
It's like a text book for anyone interested in MSRB. (If you don't know what MSRB means, then it's not for you.)
on April 3, 2017
This book was recommended for a university course and we have not covered the whole book. But what I have read so far is very good. There is one thing I would suggest to the publisher is that the print could be sharper - it is quite faded and difficult to read at times. Thank you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 19, 2017
This book really helped me.