countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on April 16, 2002
Before anyone is discouraged by the negative reviews here, I hope they will read this one.
I don't understand when someone says nothing happens in this book. Granted, the action is subtle in the form of politics and intrigue, however it is still there. We finally get to see the everyday life of these wonderful people as they try to find a place to call their own. They have spent so much of their lives running from one thing to another, not really having a home that this is refreshing. People adore these books because of Diana's amazing ability of bringing characters to life, yet bash this book for the same reasons. When you nurse and have small children, bodily functions are something you have to deal with. One of the most humourous sections is Roger and Bree dealing with potty training Jemmy.
There is plenty of action, political intrigue and drama. We travel with Jamie and the militia, find some new characters, deal with almost losing not just one but two of the major characters and see the return of another. Some loose ends are tied up (wondering about the Tory gold and just who was Otter Tooth?), some are still hanging and new ones pop up (who was that with Laoghaire in the arbor and what about Claire's nighttime visitor?). The action is there if you care to read it.
It's true this book was split in two, Ms. Gabaldon didn't get as far as she would have liked with it, but it is a wonderful book all the same. I finished it in 2 days and had to reread it almost immediately. It is a slower starting novel than previously, something like Dragonfly in Amber, but still filled with the characters I have grown to love. Read it, you won't be disappointed.
on August 12, 2016
While this book was a middle book and more focused on daily life, i was enthralled all the same and learned a lot. I did not find it slow and read it entirely in a couple of days. It focuses on relationships a great deal. There was a lot of intrigue throughout including murder, the lost french gold, stalking an enemy, divining through common means the dna of Jemmy, and provided the depth in this novel. I am going on to the next book immediately!
on March 17, 2016
Trigger Warnings: Slavery, Colonialism, Murder, Racism (by characters), Attempted Hanging, Hanging, Graphic Depictions of Surgery and Field Medicine,

It is so hard to review these, sometimes - in terms of capturing the breadth of each novel, without spoilers. The Outlander novels are delicious glimpses into mid-20th century citizens transported back to (at this point in the series) the 1770s backcountry North Carolina.

This volume was lovely -- illegal whiskey distilling operations (and interference from corrupt sheriffs wanting in on the take), skirmishes in a leadup to the revolution, a clan gathering, and dealing with the reappearance of the dastardly Stephen Bonnet.
on November 20, 2013
Diana Gabaldon keeps you on edge throughout all her novels. Am very looking forward to her next book due to come out next spring. Would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about historical events.
on November 24, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - for the fourth time. Such a fabulous story and a fabulous writer. I will keep on to finish the series for the fourth time, then into the Lord John Grey books and her novellas, I cant get enough of her writing.
on December 28, 2008
Loved this book as much as the rest of the Outlander series; although, I really struggled with Brianna. I found myself wondering how this spoiled girl from from the 20th century could go back to the 18th century and become an action hero without any difficulty. Suddenly there was nothing she could not do in this rugged, untamed land. She could out-hunt, out-shoot, out-everything everyone else. I found myself wishing that she would get eaten by a bear, shot by a wayward arrow, or some such thing. Other than her, I found the story very fasinating and another excellent read in in this series.
on August 25, 2015
This book is outstanding it keeps u reading as u feel u must find out what is happening on the next page. I have sat up several nights unable to sleep until I read at least a few pages more. It is entertaining and the same time educational.
on February 22, 2013
I have read all the books so far in this Outlander series and I am impressed with the story, characters and setting that this author, Diana Gabaldon presents. I love her style of writing - the story just seems to roll out of her pen.
on March 7, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I've found Gabaldon's previous books to be engaging reads - enjoyed the characters and their development and interaction, and found the plots to be believable. However, getting through this latest release has been a labor of love - I started it while on vacation in January and haven't finished yet, and that is almost unheard of for me.
The reason? Like most people, I have my own sometimes mundane life, filled with trivial details that would be a bit boring to relate - definitely no entertainment value there. This book is filled to bursting with the mundane, trivial details in the life of Claire, Jamie, Briana, and the rest of the clan on Fraser's Ridge. Every time Briana lactates, it's in the book. Every time someone has to change a diaper, it's in the book. Same goes for superating wounds, slaughtering animals, and routine surgical procedures. The detail with which these common everyday functions are portrayed is a bit much and distracts from what should have been an interesting story. Given the location and the time period, you would think that Diana Gabaldon would have risen to the occassion with a little more of her usual flair. I'm not giving up - but next time I might wait for the paperback.
on February 1, 2016
I devoured the first Outlander books but found this one a little laborious. Maybe it was the fact that it was set in the Americas that makes it my least favourite. However Ms. Gabaldon's writing was superb as always.