Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition Beauty home Kindle Tools

on November 17, 2017
The book was in very good condition.
The story is touching and very sweet.
on October 25, 2017
Makes one understand a bit more what autism is and how difficult, frustrating and yet sometimes very amusing the life of an autistic person can be like. The book arrived in a timely manner, well packaged.
on October 21, 2017
Absolutely superb! Clinically and humanly accurate. Couldn't put it down.
on October 15, 2017
amazing! It came when expected and the book is funny but suspensful.
on October 9, 2017
This book was so well done, by the end I was convinced he was autistic himself. Having raised a child with Aspergers, I recognized many behaviors. When the website for the vacation ad, turned out to be authentic, I was convinced! I really thought Christopher to be a real person and the book a true story! Boy was I surprised to learn it is fiction and Mark's knowledge and understanding is just next level impressive! As an avid reader, I have to say this book is incredibly unique. :)
on August 7, 2017
Excellent!
on July 24, 2017
A humorous look inside autism - most enjoyable.
on July 3, 2017
I was hooked from the very first chapter’s number: 2. Yep, who cares about conventions, right? I’m all for throwing them through the window when they don’t suit my taste and have no disastrous consequences for anyone. So I started bonding right there and then with the narrator and protagonist, Christopher Boone.

It is nowhere mentioned that Christopher is autistic – although it is obvious to anyone who has basic knowledge on the subject – so I don’t see why people insist on using autism as a sales pitch. It is quite obvious that the writer didn’t want to put a label on him. And in fact, I wouldn’t even say that his autism was one of my favourite aspects of the book. On the contrary, I found him very “textbook” autistic – as in very stereotypical. Which is okay, but there is so much more to this book than that.

Christopher might seem very different at first, especially for a close-to-100% neurotypical reader (which I’m not, I’m 50-50 so to me he wasn’t that much “weirder” than the 90%+ neurotypical characters I read about all the time), but as the story progresses I think most people could realize he’s more like them than they would ever have thought. Which is often the case with anyone you think is “different”.

The characters are all unique, believable and not always very sympathetic. I had very mixed feelings for almost every character in the book (except Mrs Alexander, she’s the best). They were mostly loveable, but then they did that thing of which I disapproved (a different thing for each). However, that’s part of what made them so realistic. I felt deeply, in particular, for Christopher’s parents.

That being said, to me the most interesting aspects of this book were the plot and theme. Although Christopher keeps saying that “this is not a proper novel”, I think it is. There are several interesting mystery and adventure elements, but mostly it’s a story about life and how different people deal with it.

The main theme, to me, was that of courage. In the later half of the book, Christopher shows the kind of real-life courage that cannot fail to have an impact on me. Some other characters also show their courage… or lack of it.

Finally, this novel is refreshingly non-moralistic. Good people do good things and bad things. They care for the people they like and want to protect them, but they hurt them too, sometimes. They don’t mean it. Sometimes emotions cloud their judgement, sometimes they can’t understand how the other person thinks, and sometimes, one person’s needs are simply too much for what the other person can give. There are all three examples through the story and I *loved* that.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 2, 2017
As informed readers most of us grasped this book hoping for some level of insight into the thought processes of those suffering from autism. If we had read the back cover more thoroughly our hopes would not have been so severely dashed. This, in fact is a novel written by someone who, at a much younger age, simply worked with autistic children. Working with for a short period of your life and understanding the clouded world they live in is not even close to being the same. The word 'novel' is defined as being a book that is created within the imagination of the author and is not based on factual evidence. This, in fact, is a novel and nothing more.

I worked with a number of schizophrenic patients during my career and while I did not even think that I may have understood a few of their thought processes, I certainly never would have the hubris to state that I knew how they fully functioned. But, with this author, we are led to believe that he does understand an autistic person's functioning and, writing this novel in 1st person, further lures the readers into believing that he is an expert on how they think. I have only a single word for this; BUNK. But, on the other hand, he did succeed in his venture by creating a totally fictionalized view of autism, having it become a best seller, and, in the process, make a great deal of money. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching. To me, Mr. Haddon has no integrity whatsoever....................
on January 17, 2017
Wonderful writing but utterly depressing