countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 4, 1998
According to this book everyone in a specific blood type should eat or avoid specific foods. What a bunch of rubish!
on April 14, 2015
I am now in perfect health. No more heartburn at all. All I did was stop eating the bad for my blood type foods.
on May 13, 1997
This is a book about individuality that just happens to have a dietary component. A very good book, I might add
on September 24, 2014
Loved the knowledge this book gave. Following food list, feel great already and only 1 week in.
on June 21, 2003
I heard about this book through a chiropractor. After borrowing it from the library, I even ordered my own copy. Before it arrived, though, I started thinking through the premise of the book: that through evolution, each blood type has developed its own distinct food tolerance patterns, and a diet suited for one's particular blood type is the only healthy one.
This theory doesn't hold up, though; and I had only to look in my own home for the proof. According to D'Adamo, my husband and I, both type O, should thrive on the same diet. But what makes my husband healthy--high carbs--makes me fat and lethargic. Gender difference aside, since according to this book that is not the issue, my husband and I should both need and also adversely react to the same lists of foods. But it just isn't so. And the more I considered the evidence right in front of me, the more I realized this is just another trendy grab for the desperate dieter's hard-earned cash.
I returned my ordered copy and moved on. South Beach Diet, anyone?
on April 23, 2003
I, a type O of African descent, edited my postive 5 star review of this book because I went ahead and actually DID the diet. And guess what? I gained weight.
The reason I gained weight was so stupidly simple I could have kicked myself for having bought the book (got a refund though.) See, I did exactly what the author said and ate the foods on the "highly beneficial" lists for type O's of my descent in order to lose weight. I ate nothing on the "avoid" list. And then I GAINED WEIGHT. The reason is scientifically plausible though I'm no scientist: Some foods on his "benefical" lists are high in starch.
And if that isn't bad enough, many of the foods in the "neutral" categories which he claims don't help or hurt type O's are high in starch, which causes MANY people to gain weight fast. In conclusion? THE ADVICE IN THIS BOOK [IS BAD].
I'm really tired of all these extremist books. The only thing I know for sure is that high-protein diets do cause weight loss, but I would like to find or create one for myself that allows low-starch veggies and fruits. Okay, back to the planning board!
on June 7, 2002
A few things to consider, for those interested in what they've heard about this book:
1. All blood types evolved millions of years ago. Agriculture began about 10,000 years ago all around the world. So, we were all hunters/gatherers once, and then we all became farmers.
2. Lectins are present in most foods, they don't survive cooking and digestion, and there is no evidence they can 'agglutinate' blood in the body. If they did, you wouldn't 'feel bad' - you'd feel dead when your extremely fine capillaries were blocked.
3. "ND" stands for Dr. of Naturopathy. Compare the training to MD, or PhD.
Judging from the other reviews, it apparently doesn't matter how much reality might differ from the claims made in this book. We're told this isn't for 'scientific review', it's for 'the people'. No one is allowed to review it who hasn't tried it, and everyone gushes over how 'scientific' it sounds. Unfortunately, unlike Amazon.com, science doesn't rely on peoples opinions. The 'method' keeps real scientists honest, whether they like it or not. D'Adamo and those like him avoid it, and even attack it, for very clear reasons.
Fortunately, you'll lose weight on this plan anyway, because ALL of the diets recommend eating less, eating healthier, and getting more exercise. Except for the O's, who are encouraged to get heart disease.
Save your money. Follow the 'nutrition pyramid' and get more exercise.
on August 10, 1998
I knew this book was a load of bull when I looked at the list of foods to avoid and foods recommended for my blood type (A+). At one time in my life, in a misguided effort to reduce below the weight Nature intended me to be, I tried all the current fad diets, and the high-carb, low-protein diet was a disaster: I felt weak all the time and had no energy. (To be fair, the high-protein, no-carb diet was just as bad!) I concluded, finally, that I was healthiest when I ate a balanced diet, exercised regularly, and accepted the shape that I was born with. But nobody wants to believe that: we're looking for the "magic pill" that will transform us all into hunks or supermodels, and anyone who writes a book purporting to be that magic pill is almost guaranteed to have a best-seller.
As for all the readers who think this book is wonderful, my years of dieting experience have led me to the following conclusions: (1) Any fad diet will work for anyone for a while. (2) Any fad diet will work permanently for SOME people. (3) No fad diet will work permanently for everyone. I'd like to talk to those enthusiasts 5 years from now, and see how many of them are still following the "blood type" diet and how well it's working; my guess would be about 5% for both questions.
on January 24, 2016
Like other review, found some discrepancies in what to avoid yet same items listed in recipes.
on May 5, 1999
I want to know if this book was translated into other languages such as arabic.