countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 15, 2003
I am a huge Engelbreit fan, and I just love this book. Every page is dazzling. My two year old loves it as well; he just gets lost in every illustration. He points to this and that and just can't get enough of just LOOKING. Engelbreit's bright colors and attention to detail just shine in this book. They just don't come any better than this!
on November 1, 2000
In preparing our list of Christmas books to share with others, we had to search far and wide on amazon to find this particular book, a paperback edition of the classic Night Before Christmas.
This is the book I've used for years when reading this story to my own children, passing on Tasha Tudor and other illustrators. Why?
Although we can find the same poem and pay a lot more, with award winning illustrators, the illustrations provided by Douglas Gorsline are surely the best. They are quite colorful, and offer details little children love looking into...cats lie sleepily on the window sill, we see an overview of the town, the presents spilling from the open sack are intriguing and plentiful, and Jolly St. Nick is -- well, quite Jolly (as you can see by looking at the cover!)
The story is an "abridged version" - I'm not sure about other parents, but we read this on Christmas Eve, and we only have so much time and energy. Everything we remember from the classic poem by Clement Clarke Moore is in this version.
(From "'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" to "He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, And away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,"HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!" In between we have everything, from the names of the eight tiny reindeer, to a belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly, including dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky".
In other words, don't be scared off by 'abridged'!)
Perhaps a hardcover edition might be more appropriate if you're giving a gift (unless you're giving to more than one child), but this book is one of the best offers we've found!
A classic done simply and inexpensively!
on August 18, 2003
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore, with illustrations
by Mary Engelbreit, is the perfect Family gift or chidren's present.The poetic tale of The Night Before Christmas, can become a lovely custom to sit and read with a child during the hectic days preceding the Holiday.
Every family should own this classic tale that never tires children.The illustrations are magnificent in this book, but not too
sophisticated for children.It could be any era, not just 1820.
I remember with nostalgic pleasure having this read to me,
until I began to recognize the words and reading it to myself on a nightly basis.
I am sure another generation of children will be thrilled
with this book,and their parents will likely feel the same
with the memories it invokes.
on November 11, 2003
Couldn't recommend this edition highly enough. The illustrations are beautiful and bring the magic of Christmas to life for both young and old. It truly is an heirloom edition made all the more special by the brass christmas stocking bookmark.
on November 20, 2002
"The Night Before Christmas," is Mr. Sabuda's pop-up version of Clement Clarke Moore's classic tale of Santa's visit on Christmas Eve. The phrasing has been altered; still the story is the same, except mice play the human roles. It is a delightful rendition that will appeal to both the young and old alike.
Different from any other pop-up book I've seen, the backgrounds in Mr. Sabuda's books are generally solid in nature with white pop-up's that are often accented with color. This makes a wonderful contrast of positive and negative space that is unusual, and unexpected yet, striking. In this book, the artist has added more color to the pop-ups than in his earlier holiday works. Creatively conceived, the detailed execution of the pop-ups is what REALLY captures the viewer's attention, and carries this book. They are SO fantastic I have to continually remind myself it is only paper. For instance, when Santa calls out to the reindeer, "No, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen! . . ." all eight reindeer literally fly off the page in sleigh formation with Santa trailing behind. It's brilliant! In addition, the finale is gorgeous! It is nearly an all-white scene with Santa in his sleigh, bidding adieu to a quaint little neighborhood down below. The backdrop displays a snow-capped mountain with a pull-tab that allows the viewer to draw Santa and his reindeer across the sky, "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight."
"The Night Before Christmas," is a hardbound book that measures 8 ¼" x 8 ¼" x 1 ½". Highly imaginative, both conceptually and artistically this book will make a valued addition to any Christmas collection. CAREFUL, young one's will be mesmerized by the pop-up action, and will want to grab. Probably best for children four-years and up.
on January 2, 2002
Gorgeous...that is the best word to describe this book.
Christian Birmingham's illustrations create the pictures of the story that we all have in our heads...but alas, cannot paint ourselves.
on November 13, 2001
What makes this book different from the rest of the Night Before Christmas books is the illustrations. The pictures are that of a traditional victorian home. The detail is incredible. Purchasing this book is probably one of the best buys I have ever made. We enjoy this book not only every day in December, but throughout the year.
on December 25, 2003
I thought this would be a fun way to share "The Night Before Christmas" poem with my 9-year old. The folks who were fascinated by the engineering and awed by the complexity of the pop-ups were my husband and I! This is a keeper, and a great classic Christmas present to give to adults with a sense of whimsy.
on October 25, 2012
I search for this book based on my childhood memories of the artwork. You can imagine how many versions there are and my joy when I finally found this version with the artwork I fondly remember from my Christmas' past.

Shipping was fast although just slightly outside of the window they specified. Book arrived in pristine condition and I have no complaints. Price was right (1c!) and shipping cost was reasonable to my postal code in Southern Alberta.

If you are seeking the best "The Night Before Christmas" book out there, I can recommend this version and this seller.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 28, 2010
Who could resist a book illustrated by Tomie dePaola? Certainly not anyone at our house. Through the years his name on a cover draws us as few other children's book illustrators do. He received the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure - how appropriate! For so many parents and youngsters he is, indeed, a living treasure. His other honors include the Caldecott Honor Award and the Newbery Honor Award. Today reproductions of art from his books are found in many galleries.

This traditional Christmas story comes to life once again thanks to Mr. dePaola. He has set the story in New Hampshire circa 1840, and found inspiration for the page borders from designs for New England quilts (some from his personal collection).

It's wonderful to have this sturdy board book edition to be enjoyed over and over again by young eyes and hands. It's a generous size so the art work can be fully appreciated - from the toy soldier peeping out of Santa's pack to the cat snoozing on the hearth.

Mr. dePaola has been published for some 40 years, and we're hoping for 40 more.

- Gail Cooke