Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(4 star). See all 94 reviews
on April 22, 2017
Very instructional. I had noticed self-destructive behaviors in my wife for decades. She recently informed me she had been prescribed medication for depression some years ago. Until I read this book I had no context with which to evaluate this information. I now understand that my wife has been suffering from depression for many years. I bought a second copy for our daughter & I have given my copy to my wife. The book makes it clear that medication, therapy, & self-help are all required to minimize the risk of relapse.
on May 24, 2017
Very good book.
on August 13, 2013
An insightful look at depression from a doctor who experiences it first hand..
The book reinforces principles from CBT and Mindfulness, while offering other helpful information about the
"disease" and encouragement to fight the battle.

I've read a lot of books. I would recommend this one to friends and anyone wishing to have a better understanding of depression
to be able to support loved ones.
on September 13, 1999
This is essentially a secondary compilation of all the current wisdom on the causes and treatment of depression. It imposes no forced integration, but is eclectic and undogmatic, emphasizing the practical. It describes patterns of thought and feeling that the author claims are common to all depressives. For this reader, at least, it is dead on the money. Its most notable insight is the notion of "learned skills" of depression--habits of coping developed to avoid pain, but which perpetuate the underlying depression. The book somehow manages to place on the sufferer no blame for his affliction, but primary responsibility for conquering it. It is, therefore, both comforting and liberating.
on October 28, 2002
I came to this book during a very depressed point in my life, hoping to find some encouragement and instruction. What I found was a book heavy on content of the sort a depressed person can feel overwhelmed by. I often had to put the book down and wonder Is there no limit to how messed up things can get? The author says he is aware the book might have that effect on some readers. If youre a sufferer of depression, my advice would be to buy this book and use its suggestions to prevent the illness from running your life. Maybe a disclaimer should be included: If you are seriously depressed now, skim this book and wait until a later time to read it thoroughly.
on March 11, 2003
I found this book quite original and well-written. I come from the school of thought that the greatest component of depression is biological and is most easily undone by medication. Nonetheless, there is merit to what the man is saying, especially in cases of mild depression. I'd recommend the book to anyone suffering from depression. Avery Z. Conner, author of "Fevers of the Mind".
on July 17, 2000
This is a book that teaches you how to take control of your depression. It acknowledges that depression is a very real, very serious disorder but it also shows you how to get on with your life and not become a victim to it.
on July 17, 2000