countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on August 7, 2008
Fear the power of this book's awesomeness. It will kick you in the head with its greatness, and you will be grateful it did.

Jess is exactly the kind of heroine I like best. She's strong-willed with a sense of humour, clever and resourceful. While other heroines sit and smile prettily at the men who describe them as feisty, Jess is busy climbing on roofs and defying authority figures. She never counts on having someone rescue her, instead relying on her own wits to come up with a solution to her problems.

As the hero, Sebastian is strong without being flashy, protective without growing overbearing. He thinks Jess is pretty, but it's her inner strength, her courage and wit that really draw him to her. Every bit as clever as Jess, but with a better understanding of people and how they work, Sebastian is the perfect counterpoint to Jess's antics.

What's more, I loved the interaction between Jess and Sebastian. I just could not get enough of it. Nearly every conversation is a power struggle, and with the two of them fairly evenly matched, it's just too much fun to witness.

The secondary characters are just as well-drawn as Jess and Sebastian, in particular Sebastian's aunt Eunice, whose doors are always open to young women in unfortunate circumstances, and Adrian, Sebastian's friend and a spy of many secrets. I also fell madly in love with Kedger, Jess's larcenous pet ferret who seems to hate everyone except her, but has a particular avarice for Sebastian.

The plot has twists and turns galore, and anyone who is into spy novels or mysteries will find this a fully satisfying read, regardless of whether or not they're fond of romance. By the end of the story, I only had the mystery half solved, which makes me ridiculously happy. I always love it when an author can keep a surprise for me at the end of the story, because it so rarely happens.

Something else worth mentioning is Bourne's prose. It's beautiful, with a touch of poetry. The woman knows how to turn a phrase, and not a word is wasted. If more romance novels were written like this, people would stop thinking of them as trashy.
on December 25, 2015
I am a huge fan of Joanna Bourne and her gift for writing compelling intrigue and romance. I consider her other novels in the Spymasters Series (The Spymaster’s Lady, The Forbidden Rose, Rogue Spy, and The Black Hawk), to be 5 star reads. Although I have not rated My Lord and Spymaster as 5 stars, it is still an exciting read of 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

I was keen for heroine Jess to find love. She was clever and likeable, with a colourful history on the streets. Hero, Sebastian, was honourable yet deadly, and likeable. He was also heroic and protective of Jess. They were well matched but for good reasons, were in conflict with one another.

While the romance was lovely, my heart rate didn’t speed up for it as much as it did for the intrigue. I was absorbed by the suspense, and felt nervous for Jess as she faced danger. Her amazing, youthful history caught up with her and this was fascinating to me, more so than the romance (which was still good).

I very much enjoyed the inclusion of characters from “The Spymaster’s Lady” and “The Forbidden Rose”. I would suggest a reader who is new to this series should read those novels before My Lord and Spymaster, if possible. You get an excellent feel for the characters in those novels who are secondary or even fleeting in My Lord and Spymaster. This novel stands alone quite well, but in my opinion, prior knowledge of those characters enriches the reading experience in My Lord and Spymaster.