Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

The Help
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 17, 2015
I find that if a book doesn't grab my attention and curiosity within the first page or two... I tend to not bother reading it. If the book isn't interesting, I get bored really quick and stop reading. But, this book had me hooked within the first few sentences. I really enjoyed that this author wrote the book in the way that people spoke in that time and location. At times I actually caught myself reading aloud with the accent in which it was written. Then I would giggle at myself...haha. This book is definitely an awesome read. Enjoy!
One person found this helpful
on March 22, 2013
This novel is a very well written piece of writing, tackling racism in Jackson, Mississipi in the 60s. Instead of focusing on "flashy" topics like slavery, voting, and equal rights, this book looks closer to home for content, examining relationships with the hired help. While the society ladies are busy throwing fundraisers to help the "poor starving black children in Africa", their Help raise their children singlehandedly and are not even good enough to use the same washroom.

In the Help, Skeeter comes home from school and is looking for work writing (instead of settling down with an eligible prospect). The only job she can find is writing a Household Cleaning advice column. The problem is she has never cleaned anything in her life, but takes the job and get her good friend's hired help to help her answer the questions. In doing so, she starts taking a closer look at Abby's life and treatment, while she searches for the truth behind the departure of her own maid while she was at school. In a (rash) attempt to impress an important editor and get into the work she wants to write about, Skeeter promises to write an expose about the hired help. Seems good on paper, but finding maids willing to talk about their experiences will be difficult as, if it got out, their lives could be ruined.

This book is definitely worth a read. Kathryn Stockett manages to tackle some very deep issues in a well-written, easy read. The book is written in a light tone, with humour throughout the pages.
One person found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 9, 2011
This is the story of three unforgettable women who strive for change in America. It takes place in 1962, Jackson, Mississippi during the Civil Rights Movement.

Aibileen is a black maid, raising her seventeenth white child. She also does the cooking, cleaning, and ironing for a mere $43 a week from 8-4, six days a week. She is a lovable character, devoted to the child she is raising, and an honest and proud lady. Looking after baby Mae Mobley is a distraction and a help in overcoming the sadness she feels after losing her son Treelore.
What boggles her mind is that she can raise white children but she cannot use her employer's bathroom.

Minnie, Aibileen's best friend, also a black maid is a sassy one. She is short and stocky, but the one problem she has is that she can't hold her tongue. She is known throughout for being a great cook, but because of her loose tongue, she loses one job after another. However, her best friend Aibileen gets her a job with a newcomer, Celia Foote,a poor country girl who has married a wealthy man and has never had a maid. Minnie goes for the job interview and gets the job providing she keeps the job a secret. Mrs. Celia Foote doesn't want her husband to know and wants her husband to think that she is doing all the work by herself. Minnie doesn't like the idea but goes along with it until........

Miss Skeeter, a 22 year old white socialite, has just returned home from College, Ole Miss,with her degree and a need to write. Her mother makes nothing of her degree and is only interested in seeing Skeeter married. Miss Skeeter has plans of her own and has applied for an editing position at Harper and Row Publishers. She receives a letter from Elaine Stein, Senior Editor, with a couple of suggestions. Firstly, to be in the business of writing she would need a minimum of five years experience. Secondly, she tells Skeeter to write about what disturbs her, particularly if it bothers no one else. Skeeter gets a job with the Jackson Journal and her writing begins.

Miss Skeeter decides that she is going to write about what it's like to be a black maid in a white home. To do so, she goes directly to the black maids themselves and promises them she won't reveal their names, because they are fearful of losing their jobs and under those conditions they agree. Word gets around and very soon other black maids come forth to tell their stories and a story is in the making.

Kathryn Stockett's writing is so refreshing and humourous, but at the same time she gets her point across on the evil of Racism. She has a talent for capturing the way Aibileen and Minnie would speak in comparison with the well educated Miss Skeeter.

This book will fill you with sadness, anger, frustration as well as Hope for a better life.

Kathryn Stockett's debut book is a WINNER.
2 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2011
I found this author to have a very good writing style. Very easy reading and found this book very interesting. The underlying stories are really a book within this book. You get to really care about the characters and feel what they feel. You feel optomistic when they do and scared when they do.
My favorite "voice" was a tie between skeeter and abeline.
I would love to see a sequel to this book picking up where their lives left off and of course years into the future where we believe things have changed.
I would definitely reccommend this book and would definitely read this author again.
2 people found this helpful
on January 19, 2012
The best fairy tales give us a profound look into human nature, even if we know reality might be a little different. The famous chocolate pie incident comes to mind as I write this. I can understand a maid putting that particular (also brown) ingredient into a pie designated for a certain racist former boss, but I can't get how she'd blab about it. In Mississippi in the early 1960s, wouldn't that be just too dangerous? What about the KKK? In any case, this is a great read, with engaging characters and a plot that takes a little while to pick up but does get going. I hope Ms. Stockett writes more books!
on August 23, 2017
Absolutely fell in love with this book! It was inspiring and captivating. The Help is extremely well written and touches the emotions of the reader. It completely opens your mind and offers a new perspective on the way people think. The book is full of humorous aspects and well as tear jerking moments. I highly recommend this book to anyone!
on August 15, 2011
I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I can't believe this is the first book Kathryn Stockett has written. I can't imagine what a challenge it would be to write from the perspective of a black maid in the 60's, but I think she nailed it. I adored the black maids. They are such lovable characters, and I was touched by some if the strong relationships between the black and white women.
on September 9, 2011
Couldn't miss out on reading this one. Everywhere I went friends and relatives were raving about it. I don't usually 'go with the crowd' but this novel was in your face wherever you went. Bought one for myself and then one for my mother. As soon as I finished the book I followed it up by going to the movie with my sister. Both the book and the movie are well worth the time. You'll end up caring about these women just as much as we did. P.S. Take a kleenex or two with you to the movie.
on January 18, 2015
I have bought 4 copies of this book now, and gift them to people on memorable events. The book will show you how people work together in spite of perceived differences to achieve something for the good of all rather than the benefit of a few.
on April 13, 2018
I enjoyed the book a lot. I dont like the Lords name used as a common swear word AT ALL which it was several times - but other than that it was great. Thanks