countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 120 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on July 15, 2016
The set came in great condition and I'm still able to keep the books in their original box even today. The first novel is enjoyable, the second not so much, and the third is good except for the epilogue. It's a nice series with good characters and definitely worth checking out if you still haven't wondered what the hype about this YA series is all about.
on July 23, 2012
I found the final book in the series to be different enough to keep me interested and light enough so that I could pick it up when I had some time to spare but put it down when my attention got diverted... all in all I found it was a good summer read
on December 5, 2015
I like that it had all three books in one. The trilogy is really good, although I found it to become boring with the third book. The first two books were extremely entertaining and exciting, and I blew right through them. With the third, I found myself forcing myself to read it, because it seems that the author just threw it together with reckless abandon.
on September 19, 2013
Would have liked a little more detail as to why things turned out the way they did. Too much emotional flatness, apathy bringing this series to a close. Katniss seems to never dare find any emotion. PTSD for sure, but, hey, she & Peta really paid their dues and deserve more real emotions.
on May 16, 2015
If you are looking for a lot of action and big battle pieces, then you maybe a little disappointed as the big adventurous battles and gore, doesn't come till the end. And even then the ending feels anti-climactic, as it doesn't have the big show-down that readers maybe expecting.

But if you are looking for a character drama, a young adult novel that unexpectedly delves into the traumatic mind-set of a strong leading character, who really is a 17 year old girl, thrown into situations, which people twice her age barely would be able to handle, let alone someone who is 17, then you will enjoy the final book in this series.

I liked that in an unexpected twist of the YA genre, the author here actually goes into detail the level of physical and mental trauma that Katniss suffers as a result of having to kill and seeing her loved ones getting killed and her life pretty much destroyed. How does she pick up the destroyed pieces and find a way to rebuild a new life? Who does she choose to rebuild her life with, Gale or Peeta? You'll also be asking yourself, what happens to Panem, after President Snow is finished? Does it become a better, more democratic society? Does Katniss play a role in making that happen?
on January 7, 2015
Generally, I don’t watch the movie version of a book until I’ve read it, but The Hunger Games flashed on the screen during a long-haul flight a few years ago and I gave in to the hype and my curiosity. I wanted to flush the movie version out of my system before I read the book. I’ve since learned that “flushing” is not possible, so I read it anyway.

The Hunger Games is dystopian YA set in a post-apocalyptic nation called Panem. During an uprising 75 years previous, 13 districts rebelled against the ruling capitol and the capitol won. The capitol wiped the 13th district off the map and created the Hunger Games as an annual reminder to the remaining districts of their failed uprising and as a disincentive to ever rise up again. Each year the districts must sacrifice a girl and boy Tribute between the ages of 12 to 18 to participate in a fight-to-the-death reality show called the Hunger Games.

This is a dark and disturbing read with a generous helping of physical and emotional wreckage. The world-building is imaginative and tightly woven into the story. The characters are interesting and the plot moves along at a good clip. There were a number of points in the story where I questioned the premise. Perhaps I’m a bit of a cynic, but I found it hard to imagine living under the conditions imposed on the districts or the conditions of the games. Easy to say from my cushy perspective, I suppose, but nonetheless… I’m looking forward to Book II, Catching Fire.
on September 18, 2012
** Spoiler**
So, I just finished this book and I have to say it was beyond what I expected. I mean sure there were pages, chapters in which I was skimming because it wasn't all that entertaining. But I liked it because for me, I found it realistic. I found it not some fairy tale happy ending where everyone lives and the end. Katniss is completely screwed up because of the Capitol and she will never be the same. Same goes for Peeta, if not more messed than Katniss. Gale, even though I rooted for him and Katniss, but you can tell which way their relationship will go, because its more realistic. This book isn't meant to have a happy twilight ending.

Despite the fillers and such, the ending chapters when everything is coming to end. I did not want to put the book down. When Suzanne gets into a scene, boy does she get you going with the action, drama, excitement and she gets your blood boiling wanting more and more.

Overall, I was pleased with the way this ended. Because once again, its gives you a realistic twisted ending. If anyone of you were reading this book expecting a Disney ending, we'll that sucks for you guys. Of course Katniss would end up a little crazy after the hell she's been though. Of course Peeta would never be the same. Of Gale and Katniss would never be together because she blames and anyone whose not blind can see see loves Peeta. These characters have been through hell and back, ten times over and I absolutely loved how Suzanne pulled everything together.
Its worth it to purchase the series. Just prepare yourself for the unexpected.
on July 25, 2012
Mockingjay ties up most of the loose ends well. I was not left wondering what happened to any of the characters. That said I would have loved another hundred pages of detail thrown in. Some peoples story lines were ended quite abruptly.

This third book was very satisfing. I wasn't disappointed as can often be the case with trilogies. Mockingjay focuses mostly on the war and there is very little further character development. Katness' internal torment is the focus of much of the story. The full toll of her experience coupled with her age takes effect on her psychologically. I love how Collins hasn't glossed over the fact that this girl was ripped from her home and forced to kill other children and made a pawn by two sides in a war. Part of what makes this series so compelling is that the lead characters do feel pain and suffering. It humanizes them and helps the reader to relate.

I found myself sad that this series is now complete. This has been a great reading experience and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and it's always sad to say goodbye.
on June 8, 2012
Diary of a young woman forced to survive against the odds.

The Hunger Games is very enjoyable and hard to put down once you get into it. You are introduced to Katniss Everdeen and see a harsh post-apocalyptic (yet surprisingly lush) world run by a tyrannical "Capitol" which hosts the Hunger Games each year to entertain the populace, discourage rebellions, and generally control populations in a bloody survival game.

The Hunger Games reads like a diary as it is written in first person perspective through the eyes and memories of Katniss. Most of the story line is dealing with a consistent time line, but now and then, there are flash backs to earlier periods in Katniss' life. You will also notice that Katniss has little to no emotion and a supreme distrust of almost everyone. Much of what I enjoyed in this book is her overcoming this emotionless existence and how she begins to build trust in others.

This is an awesome book that drives the reader along an emotional journey. While hard to relate to, you develop concern over the characters and are swept along throughout the book until its excited, plot twisting conclusion... all the while picking up minor hints here and there that there is something bigger bubbling under the surface.

I give this book a huge thumbs up and agree with all the hype about this book.
on May 22, 2012
The book carries the reader swiftly from the start to the end in a futuristic story that has a very personal feel within the framework of a very compelling adventure. It is told in the first person through the eyes of Katniss who gets embroiled in the Hunger Games, an event akin to the ancient Roman gladiator fights in the Coliseum. The arena even has the underground rooms and tunnels like the Coliseum. However, unlike ancient Rome the Hunger Games takes place in the framework of advanced technology with frequent technological surprises along the way. The story of Katniss's participation in the Games reveals the structure of an adversarial society where the aristocrats or oligarchs in the Capitol control those living in the 12 districts. Those in the Capitol hold all the wealth and power and privilege while those in the districts suffer in poverty and food shortages and fear. Like a good adventure story there is plenty of action as well as a web of relationships and interpersonal stories. All these operate within the framework of a society that monitors and controls its citizens very closely.The Griffon Trilogy: Part I