countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty home Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 15, 2014
Could you kill a human being?

Could you kill 23 of them?

What if you had no choice?

For the last few days, you’ve been training mentally and physically in the Capitol for the Hunger Games. Living in the poor mining community of District 12, your mouth waters every time you breathe the lovely smells of savoury soups, fresh breads, fragrance fruits, and sweet desserts. It has been ages since you’ve scrubbed away the dirt and the grime from your skin with hot water and soap, and dressed in clean clothes. You are treated like royalty, but then you remember tomorrow they send you into the arena. Will you kill for survival or die to keep your morals?

Complete Review: [...]
on June 29, 2015
I loved it. I was hooked from the first chapter and I enjoyed reading it. It is original and makes you constantly want to know what will happen next. It is also very interesting the way people think of Katniss, and some phrases you hit making you realize things that maybe you had not stopped to think. It's very good. Certainly I prove more dystopias, because the truth is they are very attractive!
on September 21, 2014
Draws you in. Kept finding myself way too tired but compelled to keep reading. Found that the author, Suzanne Collins, she has an acute understanding of human nature, on both individual and group scales. The world presented seems (to me) fairly different than our own in many areas (though still in ways eerily like ours), yet the characters' motivations, reactions, and reasoning are heartbreakingly realistic reactions to the setting and events.

Most importantly, makes you think. I like works that make you think, the more difficult, grey, or even uncomfortable, the better.
on December 10, 2013
This third and final chapter of the Hunger Games saga is a bit of a bore but, at least, there is closure. Actually, I must compliment the author in taking her time to end the story well. Unlike many thrillers where everything happens in the last 20 pages, this book and the story come to a slow, natural ending. I found the first half of the book pretty frustrating because Katniss is such a boring, whinny, self-centred character. Fortunately, the author provided enough distraction with the life in District 13 and other battles to keep me interested through the first part. The 2nd half of the book is better and the action picks up as the final confrontation with the Capitol starts. I'm glad that I read the whole series but, the 2nd and this 3rd book are nowhere near the quality of the first one. I give it 3 stars out of five (good).
on April 9, 2015
I am reading the book for the second time and am still turning each page as quick as I did the first read. You are compelled to continue reading until you are finished the book. There. We're things that really hit home after reading it the first time. A real keeper! I will likely read it again when the complete series has been complete in film just to compare the movies to the actual book. So far so good!
On one hand, you could probably read the first 75 pages of "Mockingjay," skip to the final 75 and not feel like you've missed a whole lot in between. On the other hand, Collins' final instalment in "The Hunger Games" trilogy takes readers on such an intense journey that the ending feels satisfying after slogging through the middle.

Collins fills her pages with heavy violence, cruelty, death and sadness but also maintains a sense of honesty. Katniss, Peeta, Gale and even Coin come across as believable characters in the unbelievable hell that Panem becomes. The author embraces the brutality and horror of a post-apocalyptic world and displays the result of a human race at its breaking point

Battered, broken and challenged at every turn, the series' heroine, Katniss, never gives up. But the story's end doesn't come without scars and heartbreak; victory always has consequences. Readers will likely keep "The Hunger Games" in their thoughts long after turning the final page, especially since, at times, Panem doesn't seem all that imaginary.
on June 20, 2015
Great set for a fan or someone planning on reafpding this series. The books are beautifully put together and well made. I was surprised to find lovely embossed details under the dust overs of each. They could -with the dust covers removed- look at home on a shelf of collected antique books. I would suggest them to anyone and am very happy with my purchase.
on March 2, 2012
the was a great buy! the books are all the hardcover editions which are very nice and though i've only read the first one so far, i can't remember enjoying reading a book so much! i would definitely recommend
on February 21, 2015
I absolutely loved these books. I was skeptical at first but once I opened the cover to the hunger games, I didn't close it until the mocking jay was done! It was filled with mystery and thought provoking situations and it may even make you cry. So thrilled that I got these for Christmas.
When I find a good story, I am awful for re-reading them and these will definitely be on the night table for a while.
Excellent!
on November 25, 2013
These are well written books. I couldn't put them done and can admit that I've read them more than once, ok 3 times in a row. It's not like any other futuristic book, as at first it seems like you're put back in time with the way the people in district 12 live. But of course the human race has advanced just in a place called the Capital, (government dwelling) while the lesser districts are left to starve. And of course there are the annual Hunger Games designed by the Capital to keep the districts from rebelling each year a male and female tribute are brought to the Capital to take place in these games. Which means they fight to the death. Well I won't go into more than that as I'm sure most people have heard of the movies if not the books. The movies have been great so far and the books are even better in detail.