countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout All-New Kindle Home sports tools Registry

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on August 24, 2016
I'd watch this if it was turned into film. It's a healthy chuckle filled with mild but fun frustrations weaved into its plot. I tend to find the men in most of Kinsella's books flat, and the women overly spunky, but they amalgamate to make a breezy, satisfactory read for its genre.
on August 22, 2016
I’m a big fan of Sophie Kinsella. I love her humorous, easy to read writing style. Can you Keep a Secret? is a laugh out loud, hysterical romance novel.

Emma Corrigan was petrified when her plane hit heavy turbulence; she was convinced that she was about to die. While the passengers behind her were weeping and reciting prayers out loud, Emma began to blab to the man sitting next to her, every dirty secret that she had. When the plane didn’t crash, Emma was immensely grateful that she was going to be able to continue her mundane life in one piece.

At Emma’s work everyone was in a tizzy because Jack Harper, the American founder of the company, was coming to visit. When Emma saw who the owner was, she nearly fainted. He was the same man who had sat next to her on the plane. Emma was hoping against hope that he wouldn’t recognize her. But of course, Jack Harper did. He also remembered every single embarrassing little secret that Emma had told him.

Sophie Kinsella does a brilliant job taking an innocent meeting of two people on a plane and turning it into a hilarious story. Although this is not one of the author’s newest books, it’s one of my favorites. If you have not read this book yet, you’re in for a treat. You’re going to laugh out loud…a lot.
on August 2, 2016
The story line was interesting and Emma's character was funny and quirky, but the writing was painful and lacked a seamless flow thoughts. Can't say I would read her books again.
on June 28, 2015
Another awesome Sophie kinsella read!!! 😊 now onto the next Sophie book! Such great reads that captivate you from start to finish!!!
on November 16, 2014
Amazing book
on September 22, 2014
Kept me laughing.
on March 2, 2014
If you are a Sophie Kinsella fan you will enjoy this book. It is a fun and easy read! Very good!
on September 3, 2013
Marketing Assistant Emma Corrigan is sent from London to Glasgow by her boss to seal a partnership between her employer, a beverage company, and another brand. After things spill over, literally, she leaves without success and nearly meets her end on a plane ride from hell where she confides in a stranger who turns out to have a connection to her employer.

The book is amusing and funny in usual Kinsella style. I thought Emma was too ditzy to be endearing. I would have liked to see a few more smarts from her. There are similarities to Emma and Bridget Jones both as a character and a storyline, except that the "Daniel Cleaver" type character is likeable.

She writes great dialogue, but as with her other books, this one has about 40 pages of extraneous blather. If I could rate it three and a half stars I would, but I don't know how to give it a half. If you liked "Remember Me?" this one is about equal to it. "Twenties Girl" is my favorite to date.
This review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm[...]

My Thoughts: This was the second time that I read this book. The first time that I read it (way back in May 2008) I rated it a 4.5/5 stars. Ya, I loved it and found it hilarious. This surprised me because the other two Kinsella books that I had read (including the first Shopaholic book) I didn't love ... at all.

So how did I feel about this book the second time around? Weellll, I liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps it's because I kind of knew what to expect. Or it could be that Chick Lit is becoming a genre that I tend to stay away from because I truly think that it's one of the hardest genres to write well -- at least if the author wants to impress me. Either Chick Lit comes off as clichéd and silly or, if done well, it can show us a humourous journey as the main character 'finds herself'. However you look at it this book didn't impress me as much the second time around.

I know that one of the things that bothers me with Chick Lit in general is that it usually begins with a clichéd, dowdy and misunderstood main character who is typically a complete push-over and looking for the perfect man and/or dress size. Unfortunately Emma is no exception for some of those clichés. She is continually degraded by people around her (especially her cousin) and just takes it for the bulk of the book until she begins to view herself differently. That's great that she 'finds herself' and 'comes into her own' but until then I wanted to reach into the book and shake some sense into Emma every time she didn't tell her cousin off after one of her negative comments about Emma's love life or career. Gahhh! I guess that's just not how I work. I'd be sitting that cousin down and having a heart to heart.

I understand that chick lit is meant to give it's readers a nice, light and enjoyable read and not delve into heavy subjects or spark debates. I get that. But for a Chick Lit novel to impress me and keep my attention is quite rare. The first time I read this book I remember feeling shocked that I enjoyed it so much because I hated Kinsella's first Shopaholic book. I found 'Can You Keep A Secret?" to be quite funny and Emma to be an endearing character. So you can either chalk this review up to me now being a more seasoned reader (or perhaps jaded) because this review's rating is much lower than my first rating or how masses of other readers feel about the book.

While this book did have some funny moments as Emma shares her inner-most secrets with a complete stranger (I even found them funny the second time around) those funny bits unfortunately didn't make up for the overall feel that I got from the book and the unease that I had reading about how Emma was used as a doormat.

My Rating: 3/5 stars
on December 1, 2012
Warning: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IN PUBLIC! YOU WILL LAUGH OUT LOUD! This book is really funny. really funny. Its a fast easy read. Awesome book. Recommend to all.