countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 6, 2009
I just finished reading The Associate. It's a wonderful Grisham legal thriller. I found it hard to put down and finished the last 2/3rds in one sitting tonight. I had an inkling of what would happen to Kyle McAvoy but overall the ending and the events preceding it caught me off-guard. In fact, this is a Grisham book that frankly cries out for a sequel. What happens next? I want to know and likely so do many other readers.

I won't go into the plot and characters. Other reviewers have done it but I don't want to spoil the story. Suffice to say, it is crafted a lot like many of Grisham's other legal thrillers, but hey, it works! I was engrossed and if I hadn't needed sleep and to work, I probably would have read the whole book in one sitting. No, it isn't The Firm, but then, that's a classic - and if you haven't read the novel but seen the movie, read the novel as it's much better.

I rounded up on my rating - I'd give it a 3.5. The characters could use a little more fleshing out, especially some of the secondary ones. Some of the plotting too could use a little more exposition but then, my favorite author is Tom Clancy so I'm spoiled with details. Overall though, I found this a much better novel than other reviewers have. Give it a chance!
on November 15, 2010
I found this to be a great thriller, not up to The Firm, but better than some other Grisham novels. I had much difficulty putting it down, and I did so only twice - for dinner and for sleep. It falls flat at the end, as though Grisham had come to his quota of pages or run out of ideas. Too bad. I gave it 4 stars to offset some of the 1 star reviews.
This review is of the 2009 hard cover edition.
on January 22, 2016
A great read but a disappointing ending. Bennie is still at large and the dramatic impact of John McAvoy's intervention I was hoping did not happen.
on August 31, 2015