Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Fair Game
Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 25, 2018
Love this story by one of my favorite authors.
on August 3, 2017
I particularily like Brigg's Alpha and Omega series because you see and hear more from Bran, who is hands- down my favourite character in the Mercyverse.
on March 23, 2017
Another enjoyable Patricia Briggs novel.I always appreciate her character development and the depth of comprehension of interpersonal relationships. Not to mention, always a great story!
on June 22, 2015
I like all of the Patricia Briggs' Werewolf series very much (she's writing two distinct story lines that occasionally overlap) with their intriguing mix of werewolves, fae, humans & vampires. The world she has created has great internal consistency, the mix of human and 'other' is very well-handled. One gets really involved with the characters who generally have very engaging personalities--both the "good" guys & the "bad". The challenges they face make for an exciting read--and Fair Game is no exception. Collect 'em all!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Always love it when I get to read more about Charles and Anna. This story has them on the trail of a serial killer while working with the FBI and a mix of very interesting characters including a Fae lord. Loved it!
on April 14, 2013
I really enjoy both series from the writer, good stories and interesting characters are very appreciated. The women who are central are not the norm and do not flow the expected even discounting their fantasy nature and I appreciate that as well.

If you like some action and strong female characters this is a well done series and I can't wait for the next book!
on April 3, 2013
Enjoy the premise and the urban fantasy genre. Easy to read and the characters are interesting and well developed. Nice addition to the series
on July 19, 2012
BUT it had a different vibe than the first two books. It was really well done, and I enjoyed reading the whole thing but I kind of forgot it was part of a series. Not really sure what that means for the book but I still really liked it.
on May 16, 2012
I received this audiobook for review from the publisher. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and the views expressed herein are my own.

Fair Game takes place close to a year after Hunting Ground ends. Not just the wolves have been 'outed' to the public, but also fae. As a result, CNTRP (pronounced can-trip) has been created, which is a new agency formed to deal with preternaturals. The acronym stands for Combined Nonhuman and Transhuman Relations Provisors.

A serial killer has been on the loose in Boston, and the FBI has invited CNTRP and the spokesperson for the wolves, Adam Hauptman, to consult with them to see whether they can aid in the investigation. Adam is the Alpha of the Tri-Cities pack and, because his mate has been injured, Bran decides to send Anna as a replacement to act as their spokesperson. Anna is very perceptive and highly skilled at reading people, and she also gives off a non-threatening presence. From the forensic photographs, Charles recognizes not just wolves as some of the victims but also fae. Charles and Anna must work with the local Boston Alpha, Isaac, who was Changed about the same time as Anna. When another fae is kidnapped, it is a race against the clock as Charles and Anna try to uncover who is responsible for these hideous crimes.

Fair Game is quite a bit darker than the rest of the books in the Alpha & Omega series. The violence is more graphic, and the book just has an overall darker feel to it. It matched the change in Anna's and Charles' relationship, which has also become riddled with problems. Because the wolves are no longer a secret, Bran has put tighter reins on the packs and cannot allow any wolves to behave in a manner that is out of control. Problematic wolves are dealt with much more severely, which means that Charles is sent out more and more often to carry out the Marrok's sentences. Where before newly-Changed wolves may have been let off with a warning, they are now being eliminated by Charles. With so many kills, his guilt is getting the better of him and he is plagued by the souls of those he has punished. To keep Anna safe, he shuts down his bond to her so that they troubled souls cannot harm her. However, by doing so, he has severed the part of him that gives him peace. Anna and Charles are both suffering from his withdrawal, and she even is at odds with Bran because she blames him for his part in making Charles the way that he is now. When her pleas fall on deaf ears, she turns to Asil to see if he can intervene.

Despite the increased tension between Anna and Charles, there are some tender moments like this one:

'"I need to go," she said to his chest. "I need ' " His mouth closed over hers, hot and hungry, warming her mouth as his body warmed her body. "Me," Charles said, his voice dark and gravelly as if it had traveled up from the bottom of the earth, his eyes a bright gold. "You need me."'

This book ends with what promises to be excitement in the next chapter of the Alpha & Omega series! Briggs is going to really shake things up!

With each book, I feel as though I am getting to know all of the key players on a deeper level. I love that. Briggs doesn't create one-dimensional characters; they are multifaceted. I also like how she changed up the relationship a bit between Anna and Charles. Until now, their relationship has evolved in a healthy way. Because of the nature of Charles' responsibilities, his change was unavoidable. And his reaction was so...Charles ' sacrificing his own mental health because of his love for Anna. I like how Anna is not afraid to give Bran a piece of her mind! She is the only one that can get away with that.

I'm so sad that I am caught up now in the series! I now have to go and read Briggs' sister series, Mercy Thompson. That will have to satisfy me until the next installment in the Alpha & Omega series comes out.

I was so pleased that Narrator Holter Graham reverted back to his original vocalizations for Bran and Charles as first portrayed in Cry Wolf! Graham's narration is the right blend of emotion and intensity, and he really is a delight to listen to!

MY RATING: 5 stars!! It was superb! I loved it, and I will likely re-read it again in the future! You should definitely read it! Thanks to Penguin Audio for the review copy!
on March 21, 2012
I find spending time with Charles and Anna makes me feel like I am coming home. The characterization that Brigg's puts into them makes me feel like I know them and I get totally invested in the story. I try to ration it, I try to slow down and I just can't. This was not my favorite in the series but there isn't one of the Alpha and Omega stories that I don't really enjoy which, in my experience, is rare for a series. I did find that Charles' and Anna's relationship felt stalled in Fair Game but there was enough action going on that I found I didn't mind that much. The secondary character's didn't get short changed we meet a few new people and we see more of the "brother wolf" side of Charles. The Game Changer at the end of Fair Game will have huge ramifications in the A&O and the Mercy universe. Even after rereading the whole series in preparation for Fair Game I found myself reluctant to leave their world and started again at the beginning of the series to keep from having to say good-bye again until the next installment comes out. For me Charles and Anna are *sigh* worthy and I just can't get enough.