countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on June 2, 2016
I first read this book in 2010, so I nearly laughed my whatsit off when I noticed a review stating that it was a Grey knockoff (that nonsense was published in 2011). Although Lord Caire chooses to display himself as uncaring, he is wrapped so tight he is winched to the eyeballs and suffers at physical contact with another unless he initiates it himself. Temperance Dewes (her siblings have even odder names) is one who feels unworthy no matter what she does, and refuses to admit to seriously caring for any of the orphans in the Home which she runs with her overworked brother. The two come into contact with each other while he is looking for a murderer in the seedy part of town in which she lives, and it all goes on from there, including a devastating side story regarding one of her sisters. Also, at the beginning of each chapter, is a short segment of a short morality tale which syncs well with the book's storyline.
The writing is sound and lures the reader onward. Many characters present themselves (this is Book 1 of a series) and are also well defined and complex. If explicit erotica which is less than gratuitous offends the reader, they only have to elide it (it does have a purpose, but is not vital).
I wona a copy of the ebook (good! my print was in tatters), then got the audio on sale at Audible.
on August 10, 2010
I might have put the book down while I cooked supper and went to the bathroom but that was most likely it! I loved this book.

Mrs. Dews is a hard working, self sacrificing, self punishing, altruistic widow who works with her brother at a foundling home for orphans. Lord Caire is a cold, unemotional, sexually deviant aristocrat who can not stand to be touched. He requests Mrs. Dews help as a guide in the St. Guiles area to find the murderer of his former mistress.

The way Elizabeth Hoyt wrote the book kept me intrigued and excited for what might come next throughout the entire book. I didn't want the book to end so I am glad it will be a series.
on September 29, 2015
Although interesting, the story and main characters are very dark and somber. Yes life was really tough in that era in the very poor sections of
London - and how people survived I don't know. But when I read a romance novel, I want more than a depressing history lesson. I didn't get that from this book - it was too overloaded with sorrow
on February 13, 2016
Some really engaging characters with twists and turns enough to keep the reader involved from the first page to the last.