Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

Showing 1-10 of 335 reviews(5 star). See all 503 reviews
on July 17, 2016
The book contains 3 things: the author's extensive experience, the research studies that back up his advice, and parents' stories about their own experiences. It's written in a way to let you jump straight into the chapter you need to read based on your own sleep reserve and the age of your baby. It's well organized.

At times, the book is a bit preachy and repetitive - the author notes that himself at the beginning, to make sure important points sink in. I did find it a touch annoying (possibly because I was severely sleep deprived).

But, importantly, I was able to use his advice and improve our sleep within a week! We still don't sleep through the night - there's no magic to that - but we sleep AND nap a lot better, and I feel more sane as a result.
4 people found this helpful
on August 14, 2017
My doctor recommended I read this when my baby was 8.5 months and we were both sleep deprived. I highly recommend it, even if you never want to "sleep train" it has legit research and information about how important sleep is to a baby. It also has some clear answers of what to do, when xyz happens. I dig it out every time we have a few bad sleeps or naps just to see what he recommends. I credit this book with finally getting my baby to sleep through the night and getting my evenings back!
3 people found this helpful
on June 19, 2016
Highly recommend! I have three kids and hadn't read this til now. My recent LO has been so fussy and I didn't realize it was because he hasn't been sleeping that well. Once I figured out his cues and different cries, I was able to recognize when he's tired and get him on a schedule as suggested in the book. Now he's very well rested and so much happier! Plus it's so much more pleasant to get him to sleep now as well since he's not so overtired anymore!
A must read!!!!!
One person found this helpful
on September 6, 2017
This book gave me the confidence I needed to get through sleep training with my daughter.
Don't be intimidated by the size of the book as all you need to read are the chapters that apply to you based on age.

My daughter was sleep trained in days and I've already passed it down to a friend who has just sleep trained her son in days as well.

It's a great book and worth the money if you ask me.
on May 15, 2017
This book was recommended by a friend and it is a life saver!!! Includes chapters on the various ages/stages and gives you the knowledge to make good decisions for your kid which will ultimately benefit everyone in your family. The info in this book literally saved us while on vacation in Europe when our kid was pulling back-to-back all nighters. Our son has slept through the night (10+ hours) since 7 months in no small part to Dr W.
on September 16, 2016
I purchased this book twelve years ago after trying desperately to find out from a scientific perspective, what kind of sleep and sleeping pattern my child needed. She was 6 months old at the time. I can honestly say this book saved me a lot of frustration over the years. Sure, I made a few adjustments that didn't quite sit well with me, but every parent should do that anyway. I used the amazing information provided in the book to educate myself, make positive changes at the time and to help understand my child's needs throughout her life. She is a teenager now and a great sleeper. Highly recommend this book as a reference.
on June 2, 2016
Works like a charm! I found the initial suggestions for sleep training, and the change in strategy for naps from 3 to 4 months particularly helpful. A week before my daughter turned 4 months old she just stopped napping and seemed sleepy but unable to sleep anymore during the day. I read the 4 month chapter, followed the advice and changed our strategy for putting her down for naps, and she went right back to napping well. An amazing book that helps you keep on top of your child's ever-changing sleep needs as they develop. Would recommend to any parent!
One person found this helpful
on September 19, 2016
This book is AWESOME. I would recommend that all new parents-to-be read this book so that by the time baby comes, they will have a good grasp on how your baby needs a good routine right from the get-go. As I watched niece-in-law do many things against what this book advised, I witnessed two beautiful girls (yes twins) struggle to get a good night sleep. Now 2 years later, she still has to lie down with them for naps and bedtime because they have difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep. They each wake about 3 time each night (and not at the same time). Niece-in-law blatantly ignored this books (and others) advise to maintain the babies nap/sleep schedule and still makes them skip nap times and keeps them up way past bed time, all to suit her schedule. Bed time is CHAOS! New mom's, new dad's do your new born a big favour and help them become accustom to a healthy sleep schedule right from day 1!!!
on March 20, 2012
I got this book from the library when my daughter was about three months old (she's ten months now), and bought it shortly after. I wish I had gotten it at the beginning! A lot of practical advice. It's a big book and seems overwhelming at first, but it's split into age groups and therefore it's easy to find the applicable sections. I've read a few of the other popular sleep books, and this one seems to be the most researched. It offers solid advice, and I've found that his recommendations really do work. My daughter now sleeps from 6pm-8am with one short wake for food. He also states what is common and to be expected - it's very reassuring to know my child is not the only one who does these things. Highly recommend this book!
on April 25, 2015
When my son was 10 months old he still was not falling asleep or sleeping through the night. I was so exhausted that one day while stopped at a red light a trucker got out of this truck and ran up to my window to tell me that I had just run a red light and he'd almost hit me. I was so shook up that when I got home I knew that I needed to figure out how to get my kid to sleep. We followed the plan laid out and I learned so much about infant sleep and mainly how important it was. For him it took one night and he slept the whole night through no issues... and still does. My youngest was as smooth but took several nights - still worked though. I recently gave this book to my sister-in-law as her 14 month old was up all the time. I just got a call to say thanks for the book and that my niece has been sleeping 12 hours a night and everyone in the house us much happier. I have shared this book with many and it's always helped. Highly recommended!