countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on April 22, 2016
This novel is barely at the "teenage novel" level. I can't imagine any adult enjoying this book, unless they can tolerate bad writing, clumsy rhythm, shallow unidimensional characters, and a plot that goes, uh, nowhere. There are grammatical errors, poor sentence structures, and editing mistakes. Very amateurish. I would not recommend this author to anyone, not even a teenager (there are much superior teenager books out there). Unfortunately for the author, and fortunately for me, this is the first time I read Ms. Hamilton's poor writing, and also the last.
on May 23, 2017
It is a great product. Fits into our product block. SINDY very love it , very recommend . love it . fast .
on July 13, 2003
For those of you who're new to this series: Anita Blake, vampire hunter/zombie reanimator extraordinare, is involved with two men. One's a werewolf (he's the "nice" boyfriend) and one's a vampire ("naughty" boyfriend). For most of the series, she's been doggedly keeping her dual relationship chaste -- and the sexual tension has been stretching tighter and tighter, like a rubber band. In "The Killing Dance," it finally snaps -- and what a relief! Thanks, Laurell. You've been torturing your readers for so long, and now we finally get the payoff.
On a non-raunchy note, this book is just as action-packed, gory, and darkly humorous as the last five. In it, Anita is faced with three annoying dillemas. One: She's been approached by a vampire with a hideous blood-related disease who hopes that, as a powerful necromancer, she can cure him. Two: Her wolfish boyfriend, Richard, is trying to overthrow the current alpha male of the local pack and become alpha himself -- but since he refuses to kill anyone, he's likely to get himself killed instead. Three: An unknown someone has put a bounty on her head, and now she's become the target of various local assassins. Throw in an expansive supporting cast of bloodsuckers, werebeasts, zombies, cops, lawyers, etc., and you've got the usual tale. Ms. Hamilton is great at keeping our interest and making us care about the characters. I won't say which boyfriend Anita goes all the way with (some other reviewer on this page has probably given it away already), but it's still rather exciting to those of us who faithfully follow Anita's exploits.
Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go buy the rest of this series.
on June 11, 1998
Starting with tightly-plotted books featuring plenty of action and character, now the series begins to devolve just a bit around the edges. It starts to look like a Dungeons & Dragons setup, with a new and worse scene around each corner. (Burnt Offerings goes to the extreme in this.) In addition, there seems to be an emphasis on description of what people are wearing. But the series' universe is peopled with such interesting characters and monsters, it's easy to overlook things... until Anita chooses the wrong man! I couldn't understand her reasoning (she's seen far worse things than her boyfriend eating his leader), and from a view of character evolution, she needs Richard to bring her back to her own humanity, just as he needs her inhumanity to make him a better leader. (Jean-Claude wears too much lace!) If in the future Ms. Hamilton could return to a tighter murder mystery, include the RPIT squad more, and tell us how Anita's family is taking all this, I will be firmly hooked once more! Reading this made me move to the next book in the series to see if Anita came to her senses over Richard. Maybe I'll give her one more chance. Hey, Anita -- grab him before you lose him permanently!
on March 30, 1998
I'm just as devoted as ever after reading this book, but I honestly have to say that this was not the best of the series. Althrough considerably steamier than previous offerings, The Killing Dance did not deliver in full on what makes the Anita Blake such a stand out in the usually formulaic vampire genre. For one thing, the book seems much more disjointed than before. The fast pace progression seemed more or less driven by the romance angle of the story between Anita and Jean Claude, and has a few holes in the overall construct because of it. Although I won't give away the ending, I will make note that the climatic conclusion needs more imagination and explanation than the author gives.
There is also a point where Hamilton flattens her usually well-rounded and interesting characters to make them conform to a sloppy ending. I'm most dissappointed in the character of Raina who doesn't have any precise logical progression from her past to her present as Hamilton chooses to essentially forget all the character developement she had done for her in previous books. A good book needs an excellent villian, and Hamilton creates the best, but this book did not have a really convincing villian due to the fact that everything other than the sex and passion existed only as a secondary character or a stage upon which the romantic angle of the story could be played.

Anita Blake is a blend of fantasy, romance, adventure, action, and horror that really hits every genre smack in the nose, but this novel dwells too much on one element and forgets to pay notice to all the action packed extras that make these books some of the best reads ever. Of the books, I most compare this one to straight forward Gothic Romance.

It's still worth picking up, in my opinion, especially if you have a night free, a glass of red wine, and lot of unreleased aggression, but I'm eager for the next book if only to see Hamilton rectify all the loose ends and unsupported explanations in this one.
on April 17, 1998
I enjoyed the first five books in the series soooo much! What happened?! I guess I liked this book, but it wasn't that good. What's with the choice of Jean-Claude over Richard?! I mean, I like Jean-Claude and was hella crushed in "Circus of the Damned" when it seemed like Anita was losing interest in him, but...I guess I just don't like the commitment that Anita made. Personally, I would have choosen Richard because he has more morals. Anita is supposed to be a hard as nails vampire slayer but she couldn't even face the fact that Richard is a werewolf. I mean, some of the things that Jean-Claude has done in this more than 200 years of "life" are just as bad. And over the years, he's gotten every single woman he's ever wanted. And that's alot. What's to say that Anita isn't just another one of his "lusts" despite what he says? I was majorly disappointed in this book. After waiting for a whole year! It really destroyed my interest. I hope that the next one, Burt Offerings, won't be a repeat of this...
on June 18, 1997
Book 6 of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series gives a refreshing new twist to her tough as nails necromancer. The story starts with the complicated love triangle between Anita, the vampire Jean Claude and Richard the werewolf who happens to be a teacher. It continues with dangerous politics as Richard finds himself in a struggle to take control of his pack without the violence everyone wants him to use and Anita and Jean Claude must join to help him to do this. Considering the breathtaking pace at which Ms Hamilton paces the story with it's high tension sexual moments and it's nail biting combat, it becomes impossible to lay the book down and you'll find yourself propelled to read it in one sitting. Longtime readers of the series will likely be in for a surprise as Ms Hamiltons departs from her previous formula for writing the Anita Blake books and truly adds even more detail and depth to her much loved character. As always with the Anita Blake series, the supernatural, the backstabbing politics and one woman's struggle to scrape a living raising the dead will sure to delight the reader and make us all wait with anticipation for the next novel
on April 2, 2002
Anita shows her quick and deadly skills to perfection in this 6th book in the series. Anita is alerted by Edward that she is being hunted by some of the best hired killers dumb enough to hunt her. But everyone can use the $500,000! Everyone except Edward, Anitas pychotic male version of herself. I mean, of course he can use it but what are friends for? :) She enlists her vamp and were friends to help her solve the mystery of who is behind this.
On the other hand of things....
Richard is having a problem where he is finally going to have to [tough] it up and take on Marcus, the head alpha of the local wolf pack, so that he can be Ulfric and Anita is trying to convice him that someone is going to get killed and she would rather it not be Richard. Things happen and Anita sees things as they truely are and she reacts as only a human would and runs back to who she views as the lesser evil, Jean-Claude.
We see her become increasingly confused about who is a monster and who isnt and we, along with Anita, realize that she is distancing herself from her human friends. Will this lead to more problems? We shall see...
on February 4, 2002
This was the only book of Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series that I've read, which was recommended by a friend. It is also the only book I'll read of Hamilton's for reasons I'll state in this review. Being an avid vampire lover, and a writer, I had very mixed feelings while reading this book. I'll touch on all the things I loved about it first.
The world and characters that have been created are truly phenominal. Hamilton did a wonderful job at bringing the vamipres and lycanthropes alive with her use of words and descriptions. They are well developed and thought out, everything is detailed and has underlying stories waiting to be told. I was sucked into this elaborate world of vampires and other worldly "monsters." I was intrigued by the world Hamilton created because I'd never read a story where the vamipres were known to the world. It reminds me a great deal of the X Men world. Anita Blake is a strong character that you can't help but want to learn more about. Her life is filled with excitement and mystery. I wanted to know what was going to happen to her next. It's always great to see strong women characters--even if they are a bit bitchy like Anita.
Now for the downfalls of this story. What kept it from being a great book in my mind would have to start with the details of the story. They were too much. Details are great, but I was bogged down by them. As a reader I don't need to know EXACTLY what every person is wearing unless it has something to do with the story or furthering character development. I don't NEED to know every detail of a room, unless the position of the antique clock on the stone fireplace has something important to do with developing the personality of the character who owns it or some plot device for the story. Otherwise it becomes too much information.
The dialogue of the characters is too straight forward and awkward. Instead of letting the reader find the subtext in the dialogue, Hamilton lays out the meaning for the world to see. And her characters sound unnatural--awkward--while speaking at times, as if they are reading lines like an actor instead of feeling the words naturally. On that same note, I felt that some of the characters' actions were out of character. There are scenes between Anita and her Vamipre and Werewolf boyfriends that made me lose connection with the characters because I no longer felt they were being true to their personalities.
Lastly, there was way too much going on at once. Too many stories interwoven around the main one, though all were part of the main plot, they served to confuse. Switching from the detailed world of the lycanthropes to the equally detailed world of the vamipres and Anita's intricate ties to each of them were whole books in there own right.
I love a great story, with great characters, but "Killing Dance" is merely an okay book. With maybe another editor or Hamitlon's own open-mindedness to maybe do a few more rewrites to the story, "Killing Dance" could have been a great book. Though it's low points are strong enough to get me to not read another of Hamilton's stories, I did honestly like the book.
on April 15, 1998
All-in-all, an excellent book, well-written, snappy dialogue, well-rounded characters whose motivations make sense. This is the first book in the series that I've read, so I came to it with no preconceptions. A number of other reviewers seem to feel disappointed that so much time was spent on the relationships, but a book whose people aren't people is always a bore in the end. The relationships are what made the book work. I will admit to some disappointment at Anita's choice of Jean-Claude over Richard. For one thing, Jean-Claude has gotten every woman he ever wanted for over two hundred years, and he's obviously wanted plenty. He doesn't deserve this one. Richard is not a wimp because he prefers peace, light and harmony to bloodlust and murder. He loses Anita (if he's lost her) because he did exactly what she wanted him to do. He faced his enemy, killed him and then dealt with the consequences of that decision. Anita is the one who couldn't face those consequences. In this context, her choice of Jean-Claude was an act of cowardice. She wasn't running to Jean-Claude, she was running from herself. Nevertheless, a very good book. Considering what happened here, I'm not going to read the earlier ones, since I know how it all turns out, but I will certainly tune in for the next one.