Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Deathwish Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on January 6, 2015
A type of superflu virus escapes from a military facility, spreads rapidly and kills 99% of humanity. The survivors come together in one of two camps: Good and Evil. Tensions between the two groups build to an inevitable confrontation.

While beautifully written and compelling, I do have some issues with the book:

1) Stereotypical deaf character. Very few deaf people read lips perfectly - it's actually an incredibly difficult skill to master. For some unexplained reason, he is also mute, which is convenient for the story, but is not characteristic of deafness.

2) There's no real insight as to why the opposing deities are trying to annihilate one other, other than one is good, the other is evil, so just because. I'm not big on the black/white, good/evil scenario, preferring a more nuanced story where there is at least a shred of sympathy for both sides.

3) The title is a complete misnomer because the stand never happens. They're on their way, they're prepared to do battle, and .... the outcome would have been exactly the same no matter what the characters did. I felt gypped.

That being said there is much to recommend the book. While the major conflict is lacking in nuance, the characters are not. We see them thrown into the worst possible circumstances and are with them every step of the way while they learn to adapt, or not, and grow into their better (or worse) selves. We are taken from the very beginning of the tragedy, through the spread of the superflu, the aftermath, and the reconstruction. The ending leaves us with the idea that the conflict isn't really over, just on hold for now.

While "The Stand" is not horror, it is terrifying in a totally different way. Do NOT read this book during flu season.
on October 16, 2017
Love this book and love that it is the extended version. I have read the original twice and the extended version once as well, but happy to have it on my Kindle which makes reading much easier for me. This I believe is King's best novel.
on November 10, 2013
Just finished this on my Kindle and loved it! I had read the paperback version way back (way way back!) and quite frankly had forgotten that I had read it. Once I started reading it I realized that it was the same book, but the new uncut version has enough new content that I relished reading it again. Fantastic author, I don't read nearly as much as I would like to, but I have to say Stephen King is my favorite! He makes me see things so clearly that it's almost as if I'm actually there, he's truly gifted. The Stand, an awesome book, it was very hard to put it down once I started reading it :).
on April 15, 2018
I certainly didn't want it to end. I really wanted to know whether Fran and Stus baby was a bit of girl. This was a great read. Highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon June 10, 2014
I needed something to read while I wait for the new Walking Dead hardcover comics to be released and this series filled that void.

The characters are well described and the world is dark and bleak! They introduce a ton of characters so sometimes it is a bit difficult to remember what character was in what situation last but I found it hard to put down.
on July 19, 2017
As mentioned by the author in the very beginning of the book, it is much longer and has much more details than his other books. It takes a while for the story to start. That being said, it is a very good read, captivating and a good page turner.
on October 1, 2016
Fantastic read. Starts a little slow but once it picks up... it picks up. Finished all 1200+ pages within 2 weeks. Highly recommended for thriller fans.
on March 25, 2015
This is the classic end of world novel. The first 3/4 is as good as it gets.I have found the ending a bit long and the climatic event in Vegas rather hard to believe. But man it is great book
on June 2, 2017
The best of King...excellent read!
One person found this helpful
on January 14, 2015
Same problem for me as King's IT, with too many main characters, but a much more enjoyable story with much more relateable characters and a vastly more interesting world.