countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 244 reviews(5 star). See all 328 reviews
on February 23, 2012
John Green has always written very interesting, well-thought out novels. I've always enjoyed them - but there's also always been something in them that has annoyed me. I was never completely satisfied with the conclusions of Looking For Alaska and Paper Towns.

The Fault In Our Stars, however, rectifies even the tiniest problem I've ever had with Mr Green's novels. This book is amazing - a realistic, gripping, heartfelt novel from start to finish. I couldn't put it down; I was too engrossed in the characters. It's definitely worth a read. His best novel yet, by far.
on March 15, 2017
This is an excellent YA novel. Based on reality. Simply written.
on March 26, 2017
Love the story
on July 14, 2017
Book much better than the movie
on July 6, 2017
Très bon!
on February 11, 2016
****careful. A few ending spoilers****

Oh my where to start...?
Ive had friends reading this book for so long and it never interested me. I learned it is a book about cancer and I immediately thought it was some boring philosophical book with zero romance. (I'm a romance sucker.) Because I never actually read the pitch.

It's actually thanks to Breeze of Life by Kristy Dallas that I looked twice at this book. I recently read Breeze of Life, loved it and was reminded by this book because the protagonist there has cancer as well, and is on a limited life span. So I looked it up, read the summery and was immediately blown away. The only thing that could have hooked me more was the pitch--too short, too little info.

Well today I spent the day in bed and read every last word.
The romance was a little quick and happened fast, but it was beautiful and so sweet. Another thing that could have been better is for the author not to rush through it so much. The plot seemed rushed at times and I wish I had more of a chance to be with the characters. (Or maybe not because then I would have cried more.)

But it was overall very good. I'm giving it five stars for all the emotions it made me have.

The ending blew me away a bit. Well, not the ending, but when she learns he is dying :( :( Throughout the novel I kept feeling like she'd die, but that was a saddening surprise.

The ending itself was iffy for me. In plot and sentimental reasons, it was beautiful. Asking Peter to write to her for him..awwww.
But I found it didn't end the book up enough. I'm left with a pound of questions. Does she die?? Or better yet, when does she? What's the rest of Isaac's life like?
And you know what...? Even as I write this I just understood the ending. John Green made it so TFiOS ends just like Peter's book; no definite ending.clever but upsetting.

I heard there is a movie coming out so I watched the trailer. Despite knowing that I'll bawl like crazy, I want to see it. Judging from the trailer this movie will be bang-on to the book. Every scene and piece of dialogue was exactly like the book ^__^

And to sum it up, do you have any idea how difficult it is to sob at that book while already having a cold??? I couldn't breathe!!!
on June 5, 2014
I'm not sure where to start for this beautiful book. It has left me speechless and unable to write anything because I know anything I'd write about this soulful book would not do justice to the story. It's beautifully crafted with the story of Hazel Grace who has cancer and meets a guy Augustus Waters (another cancer patient) and they both fall in love. Although I knew the book would have a tragic end, still, the conversation between Hazel and Augustus kept me smiling all the time. It was heart-wrenching to know that they won't last but I still hoped of some miracle. I simple loved this book and would recommend everyone to read it--no matter if you read romance or not...just read it. It will make you cry and laugh at the same time.
** This review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm (www.thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca) **

My Thoughts: This is a book that I noticed months ago while perusing the aisles at my local Chapters and it was put on my 'TBR (To Be Read) List' immediately. It's gotten a lot of hype (which may or may not be the kiss of death for a book). In this case the hype is warranted.

This was a touching read. Even though you know it's going to be a sad book (it deals with teenagers with cancer-ravaged bodies) and will, most likely, deal with death it doesn't detract from enjoying this book. You'd think that a book that focuses on a group of teens with cancer would be a huge tear fest from beginning to end but for the most part this book was funny and, in a strange way, uplifting and oh so very touching. Yes, it's a veritable roller coaster of emotions. But it works.

For me, what makes this book stand out are the characters. Not only are Hazel and Augustus well-rounded and completely engaging characters but the secondary characters, including Isaac and the sets of parents, are all complete and give believable voices to the book. It's these characters and their relationships with each other that truly shine in this book.

Let's get back to Hazel and Augustus. I loved Hazel from the first line of the book. Her dry wit,
sarcasm and humour. Loved her. Augustus held his own too and I adored their hilarious banter. He had some amazing lines in the book that I immediately wrote down because they were just 'that good'. Here's some of my favs ...

"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a
privilege to have my heart broken by you."

"But, while not all stories have happy endings,
it doesn't make their journey any less beautiful."

"That's the thing about pain... It demands to be felt."

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"

"I love you present tense"

Some would argue that 'normal teenagers' don't speak like Hazel and Augustus. I know that I didn't sound quite so cool at that age but, man, would I loved to have been! I will admit that they had a certain "Dawson's Creek/more mature than their years" way of speaking. But, I loved their sarcasm and just their voices in general. {I'm actually a little surprised and impressed at how well John Green got into the head of a teenage girl.}

Hazel, Augustus (and even Isaac) were believable even if how they said what they said was a little mature for them. Plus, these aren't normal teens. These are kids who have dealt with cancer and the threat of death for YEARS. Honestly, I found Hazel and Augustus to have a more quirky feel to them than being too unbelievably mature for their age. These teens, after years of treatments, losing friends to the disease that they themselves have, trying to stay strong for their families and friends ... have accepted their fates. They have cancer. Cancer SUCKS but their cancers don't define or limit who they are. They still have life to live. That's empowering and uplifting.

One of the things that I liked was getting an inside view into the life of a teen with cancer. Hazel was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer at the age of 13. Since then she knows that death is hovering over her but with the help of a miracle drug she has been able to lead a pretty normal life (even though she has to lug an oxygen tank around with her for when her lungs suck at being lungs). Hazel knows she's living on borrowed time and she hates feeling like an emotional grenade so she tries as hard as possible to minimize the emotional shrapnel that she'll cause her friends and family when she finally dies. Hazel is hunkering down for the inevitable ... until she meets Augustus.

The one and only thing that I felt detracted from me giving this a full on "5 star review" was the addition of the book storyline (a book that Hazel and Augustus are infatuated with). It broke away from their relationship and, I feel, bogged down the storyline too. It may also stem from the fact that I just didn't 'get' the book.

This is a book about the strength of the human spirit, the bravery and resilience of a bunch of teens who were dealt a really tough lot in life. It shows the nastiness of cancer and the strength we gain from connecting with others. It reminds us that we can still make a huge impact on the lives of our loved ones even if we may not be around long enough to make an impact on the world at large.

Here's a quote from the book that sums up how I feel about this book:

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly. Then all at once."

Oh yes. This book got to me slowly and totally captivated me before I knew what was coming.

Highly recommended.

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
on January 22, 2012
Although middle-aged, I have been a fan of John Green's work since my teenage daughter suggested I read Looking For Alaska. He injects an honesty and youthful vibrancy into his characters that should resonate with readers of any age. I don't think his books to be 'must-reads' but they are well-worth the time and effort.

However, Amazon is not so worthy as praise as it did not deliver a signed copy even though my daughter had me pre-order the book months ago. As well, it was delivered later than other suppliers, even though all indicators point to Mr. Green having signed more than enough copies. The fault, it seems, lies with Amazon.ca. I understand that problems arise, but Amazon should take ownership of their mistake and offer even a slight recompense to the customers they have wronged.
on February 12, 2016
John Green’s approach to the ultimate existential problem (time) is rather brilliant. He has demonstrated with gut-wrenching accuracy, what it is like to feel like a ticking time-bomb, and what makes this love story exceptionally thought-provoking, is that it actually IS thought-provoking. Not simply because of its premise, but the way in which it is dealt with; seemingly mundane, and in every way imaginable, extraordinary.

For children to be grappling with life-crises most adults postpone until old age is heart-breaking as it is, but also unfathomably eye-opening. And the questions raised, while paint an ugly picture of the cruel reality of being ill, help extricate nuances (by definition, small and seemingly insignificant) which are surprisingly powerful in changing one’s mindset about why we are here, why it is transient, and whether or not that’s ok.

I was shook to the core by this narrative, and though it was becoming painful to sob uncontrollably every few pages or so, it was also incredibly cathartic because every single word confirmed a reality I know exists, but which I would never want to experience for myself.

The Fault in our Stars is unprecedented. It is raw, ugly, spellbinding, beautiful, infuriating, heart-breaking, and most importantly, it forces you to feel.

It has dawned on me that all things—whether in or out of existence—pertain to the ultimate existential crisis. Not simply as relevant to us as human begins, but as fundamental as what it means to be a rock. To be a collection of molecules devoid of what we as humans deem as ‘awareness’.

It would take a lifetime to decipher the enigma of what life is, and at best it seems, the most satisfactory conclusion is: that we simply do not know. And it can seem disheartening, not knowing what it is about life we cling onto so desperately, and why we fear its loss the most, even though there are losses far more excruciating within the realm of our experience: loss of hope, loss of freedom, loss of self, of dignity, of time.

And there it is: time. The one commodity we falsely assume we have enough of. And once you have managed to grapple with its uncompromising nature, once you think you have planned your life well enough to do all that matters to you with the time you've been given, you only wind up with more questions than answers; and not the kind of answers you find, but the kind of answers you concoct. And we do so, because not knowing what lurks in the dark is infinitely more terrifying than the death sentence itself.

So what it is about, this 'life'? Is it about living it as comfortably as you can manage? Is it about self-actualization? About leaving something behind? Is it ultimately about deciphering it? And most importantly, is this 'meaning of life' universal, or is it as personal as it can possibly get?

The most comfort I have found in questioning virtually everything there is to question has been this: That most certainly, the only thing certain thing about life and death is uncertainty. And I’ve found that acknowledging this fact has in many ways relinquished my responsibility of a life-long pursuit for answers I will never get. In some ways, that is the simultaneous beauty and pitfall of philosophy: raising more unanswerable questions, but broadening horizons in the process.

So what do you prefer? Do you prefer never loving, never laughing, never experiencing neither the peaks nor the valleys of life, so that once death comes, you can easily part with this ‘life’ you have not lived? Or do you want experience every beautiful and ugly facet of life alike, so that when it comes to part with it, you simply cannot?

It seems to me that if parting with my life is not the most tragic, frightening, and unbearable thing imaginable, then my dreams have not been big enough; that I have not been living a full enough life. And the last thing I'd want on my death-bed (or within the last seconds of still retaining my consciousness) is feeling like: 'I cannot believe I could, and I didn't.'

I believe not having anything to lose is the most tragic thing about loss.