countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 125 reviews(4 star). See all 713 reviews
on July 26, 2015
great!!!!
on June 28, 2017
It was like the book which I enjoyed so much.
on December 5, 2015
I like that it had all three books in one. The trilogy is really good, although I found it to become boring with the third book. The first two books were extremely entertaining and exciting, and I blew right through them. With the third, I found myself forcing myself to read it, because it seems that the author just threw it together with reckless abandon.
on February 17, 2014
Not really getting pulled into the hype, I waited a long time to complete reading this series. The first two were okay; "Mockingjay", though depressing, was superior. If you read it, you'll find out if it's Peeta or Gale and that not all of the trilogy's characters get to see the fate of Panem.
on March 25, 2012
Got the box set for Christmas and was urged to read the first book before the movie came out, so I did. The book lived up to its hype.
Katniss was a likable heroine and Collins' writing was solid. Though the climax of the book was tense, the ending itself was curious and since I haven't read the jackets for the next two books, I have no idea what they are about.
on November 3, 2010
Despite staying up late at night to read this book, I'm still not sure what to make of it. It's not that I did not like it. I did, but then at times, I didn't. Unlike the first two books I actually put this book down several times and left it to read something else. Perhaps because the overall tone of this book is very bleak, and Katniss has a very apathetic attitude and it's not really until the end where she finally breaks out of her depressing rut. So reading through this book can be felt as a heavy duty chore.

I would have to say however, I started to like Katniss despite her behaviour. She did a lot of growing up, and her development character-wise is very well done and accurate according to the situation and environment she's surrounded in. Yet in some ways, I think it was a bit overdone in some parts and I couldn't help but feel like I wanted to smack her sometimes.

Character development overall in this novel is excellent. Peeta's sudden change really got to me and I almost wanted to quit reading because he wasn't the same and he was my favorite character. Still, it was well done and I thought the development of both Peeta and Katniss were the best I have ever seen in any novels I have read so far.

The plot was good, however I'm not sure younger readers would be suited to read this. The level of violence is much higher than the first two books, and the ending has a particular scene where it's especially horrifying to read. It actually shocked me as I never thought something like this would be in a young adult novel. There is a lot of action scenes in the book, particularly towards the end where the story reaches a breaking point.

What did bother me a little was the sudden abrupt outcomes of certain characters in the book. It was like as if the author just wanted to quickly tie some loose ends and it did seem like it was a rush job.

Upon finishing the book, it left me feeling subdued. I liked it, but I didn't. I know I should not have expected a happy ending considering the bleak subject matter of this series but perhaps I expected a lot more to happen. It definitely was not what I expected. That being said though, the ending was all right perhaps I wanted just a little bit more. It was a pleasure reading this fantastic series and I have no regrets.
on July 15, 2016
Spoiler Alert:

While I wasn't fond of the narrative style, I did enjoy the book more than I thought I would. I quickly learned what the world was like and how the Hunger Games worked, and once the games began it didn't take long for me to be immersed in the environment of the story.

One scene was a bit of a shocking and off-putting experience to me, but that was probably because I felt that it was a bit risky to put in a young adult novel. This scene was when Cato was tortured by the muttations. The other deaths set a different feel for the novel, so this one felt out of place compared to the others. Although it was an uncomfortable scene, it was also a memorable one even though it felt out of place among the rest.

This is definitely the better book of the series. The build up of the romance was slow enough for it to not interfere with the survival aspect of the story, and the characters were written well enough so that I cared for them as the games progressed. The book also moved in such a way that it was not a bore to go through, and once it was done I was ready to read the next one.

Although the other books are not as good, The Hunger Games series is still a worthwhile read. The themes that emerge later on are good ones to think through, and the plot drives the story in such a way that it deserves a read even if only to find out what happens to the characters and the world in the end. #plumreview
on May 16, 2015
If you are looking for a lot of action and big battle pieces, then you maybe a little disappointed as the big adventurous battles and gore, doesn't come till the end. And even then the ending feels anti-climactic, as it doesn't have the big show-down that readers maybe expecting.

But if you are looking for a character drama, a young adult novel that unexpectedly delves into the traumatic mind-set of a strong leading character, who really is a 17 year old girl, thrown into situations, which people twice her age barely would be able to handle, let alone someone who is 17, then you will enjoy the final book in this series.

I liked that in an unexpected twist of the YA genre, the author here actually goes into detail the level of physical and mental trauma that Katniss suffers as a result of having to kill and seeing her loved ones getting killed and her life pretty much destroyed. How does she pick up the destroyed pieces and find a way to rebuild a new life? Who does she choose to rebuild her life with, Gale or Peeta? You'll also be asking yourself, what happens to Panem, after President Snow is finished? Does it become a better, more democratic society? Does Katniss play a role in making that happen?
on January 7, 2015
Generally, I don’t watch the movie version of a book until I’ve read it, but The Hunger Games flashed on the screen during a long-haul flight a few years ago and I gave in to the hype and my curiosity. I wanted to flush the movie version out of my system before I read the book. I’ve since learned that “flushing” is not possible, so I read it anyway.

The Hunger Games is dystopian YA set in a post-apocalyptic nation called Panem. During an uprising 75 years previous, 13 districts rebelled against the ruling capitol and the capitol won. The capitol wiped the 13th district off the map and created the Hunger Games as an annual reminder to the remaining districts of their failed uprising and as a disincentive to ever rise up again. Each year the districts must sacrifice a girl and boy Tribute between the ages of 12 to 18 to participate in a fight-to-the-death reality show called the Hunger Games.

This is a dark and disturbing read with a generous helping of physical and emotional wreckage. The world-building is imaginative and tightly woven into the story. The characters are interesting and the plot moves along at a good clip. There were a number of points in the story where I questioned the premise. Perhaps I’m a bit of a cynic, but I found it hard to imagine living under the conditions imposed on the districts or the conditions of the games. Easy to say from my cushy perspective, I suppose, but nonetheless… I’m looking forward to Book II, Catching Fire.
on September 18, 2012
** Spoiler**
So, I just finished this book and I have to say it was beyond what I expected. I mean sure there were pages, chapters in which I was skimming because it wasn't all that entertaining. But I liked it because for me, I found it realistic. I found it not some fairy tale happy ending where everyone lives and the end. Katniss is completely screwed up because of the Capitol and she will never be the same. Same goes for Peeta, if not more messed than Katniss. Gale, even though I rooted for him and Katniss, but you can tell which way their relationship will go, because its more realistic. This book isn't meant to have a happy twilight ending.

Despite the fillers and such, the ending chapters when everything is coming to end. I did not want to put the book down. When Suzanne gets into a scene, boy does she get you going with the action, drama, excitement and she gets your blood boiling wanting more and more.

Overall, I was pleased with the way this ended. Because once again, its gives you a realistic twisted ending. If anyone of you were reading this book expecting a Disney ending, we'll that sucks for you guys. Of course Katniss would end up a little crazy after the hell she's been though. Of course Peeta would never be the same. Of Gale and Katniss would never be together because she blames and anyone whose not blind can see see loves Peeta. These characters have been through hell and back, ten times over and I absolutely loved how Suzanne pulled everything together.
Its worth it to purchase the series. Just prepare yourself for the unexpected.