Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Love_Simon Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Happily Retired: What Works ... What Doesn't
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$29.36+ Free shipping

on June 29, 2010
This is a book about choices. Your choices. It is a book that helps you to see more options, written by 2 adventuresome, but also grounded, women. It is your call as to how to enjoy the gift of time that retirement brings. Finding pleasure, engagement, and meaning are the central concepts. They don't pretend that it is always easy, and admit to "hitting the doldrums" from time to time. To escape the doldrums it is necessary to learn to tolerate some anxiety that is part and parcel of a process that will hopefully lead to a more fulfilling life. Different techniques, such as journaling, positive self talk, and meditation, are some of the tools described to assist you to being willing to try new paths. I would add that sometimes anxiety can be dispelled by relaxing enough to be able to more fully engage in an activity. The techniques described will help with relaxation and with overcoming self imposed prejudices that restrict enjoyment.

This book rings true. The authors are honestly sharing a journey with you rather than lecturing you. They assume that you are not in deep trouble and thus they are not trying to be counsellors. They are successful women who know that the need to feel productive does not go away. They know that finding your feet in retirement can take more time than people expect, and that there is a cyclical aspect to it. They also know, through experience, that retirement can be great, that it can be a time of living some of your dreams.
3 people found this helpful
on January 2, 2011
Along with Cam "Book_worm_682" in Ottawa, I am also not quite ready to retire ... but I am very glad to have read Happily Retired. The light-hearted wisdom from this book applies to the three remaining years that I have to work in my current position and to retiring from it. The authors offer a good sampling of ideas and tools to help restore or maintain a positive approach. They offer constructive suggestions for achieving "Pleasure, Engagement and Meaning". The prompt to think back on the things I enjoyed as a child, have me thinking about playing baseball again.

The book unabashedly targets those of us who are lucky enough to be able to retire with both a reasonable income and good health. The irksome habit of seeing boomers as "re-inventors" of everything - retirement in this case - is forgiven because everything else about the book is delightful, refreshing and uplifting. A must read for anyone nearing retirement or already there.
on December 1, 2010
This is a book full of perspectives and triggers. It makes you consider that retirement has the potential to be the most fulfilling part of your life- without all the stress that a career often brings. Lots of great references and personal stories. The truth in the personal stories resonated with me - it is good to know that we do go through challenges even as we create a fulfilling retirement- but I guess that is what happens when we grow. A great read for anyone who is redirecting their life!
on February 6, 2010
I've read a lot of books on retirement. I've heard more than enough from financial planners, family therapists, sociologist, career counsellors, real estate developers, and vacation packagers. This book spoke directly to what I needed. I feel validated in my choices and have taken away some specific very do-able ideas to enrich my retirement life.

Happily Retired gave me a perspective on retirement that I can actually and easily use to enhance how I feel about the next 20 years.
3 people found this helpful
on March 16, 2010
As someone who isn't quite ready to retire, I found that a lot of the lessons and concepts presented in this book are just as applicable to daily life when you are employed or not. It's a great read that is sure to promote discussion between you and your loved one's. I hope these authors continue to update and release future editions of their book!
on January 25, 2010
This is a unique and a much needed guide that combines lively reading and a step-by-step guide to retirement vitality. The material has a lot of depth, but it manages to feel friendly through personal anecdotes, cartoons, quotes and exercises. It gave me a perspective on the non-financial aspects of retirement that I can actually and easily use to enhance how I feel about the next 20 years.
on February 3, 2010
This is better than good......way better. Insightful, informative and entertaining. Just what I needed as I move to the next life phase! (What my hubby needed too!)