Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Vinyl Day sports Tools

Customer reviews

on August 4, 2013
This is a really nice book for those who want to learn a lot of system administration, not only Unix/Linux concepts.
on May 26, 2005
I agree on the fact that it is a bit outdated, but one must understand that it must be a very tiedous task to update this kind of content. I agree that maybe too many flavours of Unix have been covered. Hopefully, some will be dropped for the next edition (AIX, and TRU64 especially). However, this book is very well written and covers all the basics of sysadmin.
on March 17, 2004
I use this book more than probably all my other reference materials put together. This book provides information across most UNIX platforms ie Linux,AIX, Solaris, HPUX etc. This is a must have for Sys Admins of all levels.
on February 7, 2004
Your first book should be "UNIX System Administration Handbook" by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, & Hein. I always turn to that book first. I am not sure I would buy Frisch's "Essential System Administration" again. Definitly try to get it used if you do buy it. Looking in this book is often a last resort, and often if I haven't found the answer in my other two books, then it normally isn't in this one either.
It is a big book, much of which I feel is fluff, but if this was your only book on the topic, you would still be ok. The wording just isn't as clear as I'd prefer.
on May 10, 2003
This book is generalized, but in a good way (for once). Instead of a lot of fluff and only touching a little bit on various software and how to do the most basic stripped down installs of things that have little to do with Unix, other than it can "run" on a Unix system, it actually covers a lot of ground. It covers a lot of topics and aspects, like it should be expected. There's parts that could be improved and it's biased towards some platforms over others, but for general knowledge and insight, it can offer a lot.
on October 3, 2002
From the MOTD to kernel configuration, it's covered. No this book will not replace a bookshelf full of other references (and on my shelf they're mainly other O'Reillys), but if you have to carry only one book with you and operate in a heterogenous *nix environment, then this should be it. I've also owned copies of the first and second edition, and in my opinion the third edition warranted purchase.
on September 13, 2002
Well, it was a long wait, but the new third edition is great. Covers a couple of Linux distro's, FreeBSD, and your standard Unix platforms. More complete coverage of networking and security. More readable than the previous edition. Good for anyone with minimal Unix experience or those who have worked with it for years.