countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 6, 2014
This has been my favourite cookbooks for foods of the world! Moosewood is a staple in my collection and on our dinner table.
on December 19, 2013
I like everything about this book. It is interesting in term of content and format. The recipes are easy and taste awesome.
on January 5, 2013
Vegetarian recipes from all over the world, organized by country or region, with a nice mixture of appetizers, main dishes and desserts. (Many of the recipes include dairy and eggs, so this is not a vegan cookbook. The book also includes a number of fish/seafood recipes). Some of the recipes are lengthy and take a fair bit of time to prepare, while others are relatively quick and easy - it's called "Sundays" because many of the meals would be best done on the weekend when you have time to savour the cooking and eating. Some of the recipes have become regular staples in our household, e.g. the blue cheese balls from Finland, the tahini dressing from Armenia, the latkes, groundnut stew and lentil stews. Others have always seemed too intimidating to even try, e.g. some of the Chinese and Japanese recipes with long and/or unusual ingredient lists. But there is enough in here to keep us cooking and trying new and interesting recipes for many years. Highly recommended!
on March 29, 2006
Delicious, fun, healthy recipes, from a wide variety of countries! Great for themed dinner parties or trying something new. Instructions are clear & easy to follow.
on June 3, 2004
How, exactly, is this book misleading? Nowhere on the cover does it claim to be vegetarian. And where is it inscribed that Moosewood must always and only every time put out vegetarian recipes? Pay more attention next time. This is not a case of a book being misleading, but of readers being too lazy to double check the index.
on March 6, 2004
While the vegetarian recipes in "Sundays at Moosewood" are outstanding, it loses points for being misleading. This is NOT a vegetarian cookbook: there are recipes containing fish, shrimp, and shellfish, all of which by definition are animals. Mislabeling like this only makes things harder for those of us who really are vegetarian or vegan. Bottom line: if you want some great ethnic food with an overall vegetarian emphasis--because most of the recipes are vegetarian--it's a great cookbook. But vegetarians (whether ovo-lacto or vegan) don't eat fish, shrimp, oysters, clams, or other aquatic animals, so don't be misled into thinking that this is a truly vegetarian cookbook.
on December 31, 2002
I found this in a used bookstore a few years ago. Recognizing Moosewood as something my mom and oldest sister used, plus loving all kinds of ethnic food, I figured I'd love it. I was right. This book totally changed how and what I cook. While many people focus on one type of cuisine (Italian, Indian, fast food...) I use this book and cook EVERYTHING -- Italian, Indian, Chinese, Jewish, Bulgarian, North African. My favorite and most often used recipes are Shepherd's Pie (British Isles), Moroccan Stew (North Africa), and Vegetable Biryani (India) but I've made a lot of these recipes. I made Chinese last night and it turned out tasting restaurant quality. The recipes are very tasty and the directions are great. It's also wonderful how the book has base ingredients (sauces), appetizers, soups, entrees and deserts for each type of cuisine so you can make complete meals (often there are suggestions in the recipes saying waht goes with what). The ingredient guide is very descriptive and helps you learn a lot about the herbs, vegetables, different tofu prepations. I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't eat a lots of (or any) meat and wants to be able to cook ethnic food w/o having to worry about meat.
on November 20, 2002
I have had this book for years now and it is the one I reach for when I am looking for something "interesting" to cook. Most of the recipes are vegetarian but it is very easy to add meat if you like. I just made a banana bread last night and it was wonderful! I am almost amazed because the recipes all "work" (if you own a Martha Stewart cookbook, you KNOW what I mean!) and turn out exactly as expected. I am buying my second copy because the original is falling apart. If you have an adventurous palate, this is a wonderful springboard into cultural cooking . . . vegetarian or not!
on August 26, 2002
Why are folks going on about the alarming trend of fish recipes in vegetarian cookbooks? This book could benefit from a few more fish recipes, I think. Those who have eaten at the Moosewood know that they've been serving fish for ages.
Figure that they want to get their food into peoples' mouths, and I think this one great way to do it; remember, most people, are, after all, omnivorous. It just seems less tiresome than another insipid, inauthentic collection of tie-dyed recipes that challenge other cuisines with their farmer's market philosophy. At least if they're going to even try covering this many cultures, give them the seafood. They need it. Where in the Middle East do they eat tofu, anyway? You know?
on March 31, 2002
so what the heck am I doing with a vegetarian cookbook?!?? Well, I was given the book and some suggestions -- Sopa de Lima (from the Mexico section) and Saffron Butterflies. But it's a veggie cookbook, so it just sat on my shelf -- until I had dinner with the person who gave it to me. It wasn't until AFTER dinner, she told me it was recipes from this book -- the meal was so good, I didn't even notice it was meatless.
So, I tried them, and now I'm HOOKED! Sopa de Lima is great food for during halftime of basketball and football games -- and I later found out I can make it fast and easy with some simple substitutions (hint: use a jar of salsa instead of a bunch of other ingredients). Saffron Butterflies is SMOOOOOOOTH and good -- with or without some meatballs thrown in. These two were so good I've had to try others and now "Rumpledethumps" (silly name, but GREAT DISH) is a personal favorite -- I just use it as a side dish along with a London Broil. Okay, so I'm a carnivore -- these recipes are great standing alone, and most of them work well with meat added or on the side.
More than just the great recipes, this book is great for the stories, too. I never would have thought cookbooks make good reading, even when I'm not cooking, but this one is.