countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(1 star). See all 243 reviews
on February 2, 2015
The content is good. But I cannot accept the printing quality. It is more like being photocopied than printed. Blurry words with muddy photos. Cover your mouth in case of vomiting during reading. Totally disappointed by the book quality. What a great spoil of the wonderful annotations! Buy the Oxford Shakespeare. It has the equivalent notes but is clearly printed. Even the font size of the Oxford Shakespeare is smaller, it is still reader-friendly.
on July 18, 2014
Dont buy the kindle edition! Theyre is no notes, no introduction... Just the plain text witch is part of public domain and available for free everywhere! And Amazon is charging a fee for this? Absurd!
on October 7, 1998
Having read much historically about the the Roman emperors, I was very excited to be reading JULIUS CAESAR. It was interesting at first to compare the characters of the play to the same names we read about in history books. I felt that this is one of Shakespeare's most difficult books to interpret in today's language. Even though this edition does have extensive foot (or in this book, side) notes, the reading process was confusing having to look back in forth. If you are just reading this play to read some Shakespeare, try another less difficult Shakespeare work, like A COMEDY OF ERRORS. Thsi is much easier to understand, and for beginners, you will probably enjoy it more. But if you are a beginner looking for a tragedy, try ROMEO and JULIET. While the language can be confusing at time, this classic story should really be read by all.
on February 25, 2002
A further proof of the dumbing down of our society are this entire series. It is a shame and a disgrace that ever such as these were needed. For those who can't follow the text I suggest you get the Folger series. The only real problem with understanding Shakespeare would be the ancronistic words. The Folger series, in fact most editions of Shakespeare, provide notes explaining those words. Shakespeare is poetry. Changing the words to "modern" english is as futile as rewriting Robert Frost. It is pathetic.
on May 15, 1999
Boring, boring, boring, boring, boring boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring boring.
on September 6, 1999
it is worthless equal to todays soap operas
tras
on September 13, 2015
This Master Shakeshafts wordes are too harde. I would as lief see the aery of children play agayne, for they were passynge stravnge in wondrovs shovve. This Dane tires me. I owne I did not stay to see the ende, but haue reade Saxo Grammaticus his Historie, which bethinks me a bettter boke than Shakeshafts scribble. Not worth a grout to crosse to Southvvark, saue for good Winchester goose. Get thee to the bear-bayting, good readers!
on January 11, 2001
I am hardly a fan of any Shakespeare: I find that his characters overact, talk too much about nothing, and spend most of their plays inserting extra words in to sentences that could be said in four words or less.
Hamlet, however, reaches a new level of Shakespearean lackluster: This one is simply boring, with lifelessly dull characters that can never seem to figure out what they want. It follows the standard Shakespearean tragedy plotline (Guy has stuff happen to him that's either really good or really bad, two little subplots, and then everybody dies), but this one lacks spark, or even a pulse for that matter.
Well, there's my two cents... Go ahead, find my review unhelpful if you want... but seriously, if it's Shakespeare you want, go buy a different play than this.
on September 2, 1999
This has to be one of the worst plays ever written, Shakespeare or no Shakespeare. While the Bard was the master of English drama, he really slipped up here. The plot makes no sense, the characters motivations are contrived, and the jokes fall flat. I have read this play hundreds of times, seen umpteen productions and films, and am astonished at the plaudits universally accorded to it. The modern English translation by Daniel Nystedt, however, corrects many of these flaws (by eliminating the ghost and such unneccesary characters as Claudius, etc.) and overall is much more worthwhile.
on January 24, 2002
I thought that this book made reading Hamlet easier, but I still don't really like the story of Hamlet. There is really no point and it's really long. Many people like the story so much just because it was written by William Shakespeare, but it doesn't matter to me who wrote it, I'm still not sure that I understand it completely. But with the "easier reading" side I liked the story better because I could sort of understand it a little bit better.