countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Home Kindle sports Tools

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on November 19, 2016
I have read this book many times and I now use it to teach other employees at my company to manage their stress better. I even keep a list of the key points and fundamentals stuck on a card under my monitor on my computer
on April 22, 2017
Timeless... fantastic book. a must read for everyone from those starting their lives and above.
on May 24, 2017
This is such a great book.
My entire perspective changed after reading the first two chapters only and I was able to take steps to feel more relaxed and happy on a daily basis.
on April 18, 2017
Great!
on March 24, 2017
Great book
on March 27, 2017
Religious bunk, very disappointed, burned it.
on December 17, 2011
In How To Stop Worrying and Start Living, Dale Carnegie shares practical tips to help people to stop worry and eliminate at least some types of depression.

The book begins with advice from the Bible "Have no thought for tomorrow", in a sense that one should focus on what one can do today - do the best that one can do now, and leave the rest to God. If we do the best we can do every moment of our lives, then there is no point in worrying about anything.

Here is a list of tips for a worry-free life, from this book, one can commit to live day by day:

Just for Today
I will be happy
I will try to adjust myself to what is.
I will take care of my body.
I will try to strengthen my mind by learning something new.
I will exercise my soul.
I will do something good for others.
I will be agreeable.
I will look as best as I can, dress as becoming as I can, act courteously, be liberal with praise, avoid criticizing and not try to regulate anyone (in other words "live - and let live")
I will try to live through this day only.
I will take half an hour to relax and I will think of God (or whatever to you stands for that which is greater your individual self), in order to get a better perspective on my life.
I will be unafraid to be happy, to enjoy my life, to love and to believe that those I love, love me.

Greater part of this book contains stories from the lives of people who developed all kinds of health problems from worrying, and who decided to change their ways, be grateful for what they have, do the best they can with what they have, and share their blessings with the world.

People worry for different reasons, and Dale Carnegie has compiled stories that relate to just about any kind of worry - worry due to genuine problems one has to deal with, worry due to imaginary problems that may or may not happen, worry and depression due to some tragic event in one's life.

Since we can focus our mind only one one thing at any given point in time, one can diminish worry by keeping oneself busy physically and mentally, engaged in some productive and constructive activity.

Some problems may be foreseen and of course when the person tends to encounter similar worrisome situation, one may brainstorm the possible solutions and pick what seems to best help solve the problem. And since it's hard to think of solution when one's mind is preoccupied with worrying, it is helpful considering the worst thing that can happen, accepting the worst case scenario, and then when one is at peace with it, contemplating workable ways on how can one improve on the situation.

Regardless of one's spiritual affiliation (or lack of it), it is much easier embracing uncertainty when one chooses to believe that even though one may not know what to do, there is a greater intelligence and power that has the solution to the challenge one is facing and is wiling and able to guide the individual - for some it may be God, for others it may be the power of one's subconscious (or superconscious) mind.
on December 20, 2000
This book is loaded with common sense, which unfortunately today is such an uncommon thing. If you read this book in its entirety, then read it again and again, you will come to see that you have choices in every moment that you can use to make yourself happy or miserable. It's just that simple. But simple doesn't mean easy-you have to practice over and over again because long held ways of thinking and behaving don't yield to change overnight. Using notable luminaries and average folks, Dale Carnegie doesn't take off on some grand flight of fancy into vague esotericism, but stays wonderfully grounded in offering the tools to a better way of life.
Especially helpful is the advice to live in "day-tight compartments" and to challenge yourself to accept the worst while preparing to make the best out of any difficulty you may encounter. Also, his idea of religion/spirituality is one of the healthiest I have ever read. He says he has no interest in the creeds that separate people from each other, but has come to appreciate speaking with God simply as something wonderful he can do for himself that yields practical results. Just as fresh water, air, and rest benefit the body, so does a healthy spirituality benefit the mind and soul. At the end of the book are testimonials from all types of people on how they banished worry from their lives and truly began to live again. This book is inspiring, informative, motivational, and comforting. If you read this with an open mind, you will realize that there is really never anything to "worry about" and you will be in command of that most precious of gifts we humans are given: the power of the mind and will to live life in a self-determined way. This is THE classic and if properely appreciated and understood will change your life forever. Quite simply, the best of its kind. Ever.
on May 15, 2004
This is my first Amazon.com review, but I was compelled to write since I found this book to have such a positive impact on my outlook on life.
I picked up this book at least twice over the year, and put it back thinking that the information contained was probably no longer relevant or useful since it was written so long ago (1945). Instead, I bought other, more up-to-date books that didn't help my chronic worrying in the least. Finally, I bought this book - and was amazed to find this one little book has begun to change my outlook on life. True, the stories ARE old - some of them are about World War II veterans or people struggling through the Depression - but instead of finding them irrelevant, it instead made me realize two things - that people have been battling chronic worry for a long time (and that I am not alone) AND these people faced a lot more troubles that I have and were still able to overcome their fears and worries.
It's true what other reviewers say - Carnegie does fill the book with age-old idioms (he quotes Lincoln, George Bernard Shaw and William James). But he puts it into such a context that I would often put the book down, and think, "He's right! I never thought of it that way."
I've been through therapy and counselling, and it hasn't helped as much as this one little book. Whenever I start to feel anxious or have nagging worries, I turn to this book and read one of the many passages I have highlighted and I feel better instantly. Admittedly, this book may not help you if you have a severe anxiety disorder or depression. But if you are a chronic worrier, like me, you may find this book to be as invaluable as I do.
on March 23, 2003
It seems like such a silly thing to have to read a book on how to stop worrying, but trust me; you'll never learn as much any other way. Once again, Dale Carnegie proves to be the expert on self-motivation. Certainly this book won't cure you, but it will give you advice and insight on the better life you should be leading. A remarkably easy read. I do have one problem with Carnegie's book; he seems to focus a lot on religion, and to anyone who isn't "hip" with religion will find it distasteful. Also, I actually enjoyed his other book, How to Win Friends, more, but How to Stop Worrying is a nice addition into the self-help fanatic's library. If anything, it will slap you in the face and remind you that life is too important to waste time worrying about superficial matters. Some of us need that slap in the face.