countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty home Kindle sports Tools

on January 9, 2010
When I collapsed from burnout and a range of auto-immune disorders, Mate's book was the one resource that compassionately explained the emotional roots of these and many other illnesses, including cancer and MS, and offered practical directions for change. This one book gave me the permission to finally listen to my body and choose a less stressful life. I am now both healthier and far more relaxed than ever before.

Mate, a physician and former medical editor of the Globe and Mail, writes eloquently from his own experience and from his intensive work with patients. He offers a wholistic perspective, a refreshing alternative to the medical model and genetics. Throughout, his compassion, wisdom and self-critical humor shine through.
on March 9, 2015
The thoughts in this book need to be incorporated into society and healing for people everywhere. It holds many strong teachings about how to take care of ourselves that we too often don't pay attention to. Some parts were hard to read but if you take it in as learning and share the wisdom it could prolong lives. As well, scientists that work with ALS, MS, and other "physical" disability patients would benefit from considering the teachings of this book.
on November 27, 2015
Anyone with chronic illness should read this book. Over time I was a law to discover the root causes of my chrones in relationship to parents and wounding. Through emotional healing, my chrones has gone into remission. Thank you Dr. mate!
on May 21, 2017
This author is not without his controversies, but this book does make some interesting arguments. I warn you though, if you have health anxiety, or physical symptoms from excessive health anxiety - this book will do you no favours, and will leave you with new things to be scared of and new "what if" questions to ponder.
on November 6, 2016
Insightful information. I learned a great deal about myself and could finally find a way out of bad patterns that lead to poor health. It explains 'stress' in a way that relates to real life. It is no longer an abstract concept. I recommend this book to whoever wants to give his/her body a chance to good health. However, one must take his/her time to read each chapter and integrate the informations. I'm very satisfied with this purchase.
on November 4, 2014
Absolutely a must read (and re-read) book! The author, a physician, shows many examples of how stress and emotions caused by that combo impact our health. He includes suggested ways to add changes to our lives so our bodies no longer say 'no'!
on February 21, 2014
This book should be required reading for health care providers, social workers, counsellors, coaches, and therapists - and also anyone who wants to create total health in their lives. Mate's work is thorough, nuanced, and scholarly - yet easy to read. Unlike many physicians, Mate can write in a clear, accessible, and engaging fashion. More importantly, though, this information is essential to understanding how human beings repress emotional stress; and how this correlates with chronic disease and illness. There is no arguing this point; Mate's research clearly demonstrates that mainstream health care need to take this information on board NOW in order to prevent (instead of merely treating with drugs) devastating illness and loss of life.
on July 22, 2013
For anyone suffering from a serious illness and wonders why, this book is an eye opener that helps explain the mind body connection and personality traits that set us up for that illness. This book played a pivotal role in my cancer reversal and has changed my life for the better. I strongly recommend the book, Dr Mate is a genius.
on May 9, 2017
Excellent... A Must Read... Comprehensive and Enlightening... I Will Need To Search Out More on This Topic and The Writer... 😀👌Thxs Joe
Ps I have all his books
on February 12, 2012
I am greatly interested in mind and body connection and I love reading new books on this subject.
This book was very interesting also because it was written by an actual MD and a specialist in palliative care, and was based on real patients srories, unlike other books that are written by spiritual teachers with no medical background.
I hope in the future all doctors will considre mind/body connection when treating patients, and not just the physical body.