countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 27, 2014
I had heard that this book was a must read and one of the greatest graphic books of all time. While the hype raised the bar a bit too far, this book was a splendid read. As I went along, the book was well done and the art was very nice and simple. The book had me feeling sadness over the events the book explained. However, I also found myself laughing while reading too at some of the antics the author's father got into in modern times. Naturally there were scenes that appalled me as well, some descriptions or drawings of the events in Auschwitz. Overall a really good book that will definitely be worth the read. Highly recommended if you're looking for something different in the graphic novels department.
on January 2, 2003
I originally read Maus when it came out and i had an interest in the Jewish Halocaust. The horrors that this book portrays..sickening and disturbing stuff. Stuff to bring you nightmares.. I cannot get the image of a Nazi Cat picking up a mouse child by the leg and swinging the child against a brick wall bludgeoning it to death..Real powerful stuff. The connecting story of Art and his father Vladek is just as moving for anyone that has ever felt distance from one of their parents..kinda reminds me of me and my dad. I reccomend this book for all ages...But for younger readers I think parents should have discussions with their children. Buy this book !
on February 20, 2012
You don't have to be a WWII aficionado to be able to appreciate this book. It is a masterwork of storytelling as well as a touching story. Art Spielberg created something magical and engaging. A must read.
on January 14, 2000
As a Bar Mitzvah present I received the book, Maus : A Survivor's Tale : My Father Bleeds History and Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman. In this book Art tells the true story of his parents in the Holocaust. When I first saw the book I was thinking that this book couldn't be good because this was a comic book and pictures were not that of people but of mice (the Jews) and cats (the Nazis). Reading the book was amazing. There will actual photographs included in the book. The idea of comparing mice and cats was a very strong one. If I could only read one book, this would be it.
on February 26, 2000
Just to let everyone know, it is in comic format. In my opinon the reason is to explain of the horrors of the holocaust without getting to personal and graphic (believe me it has its moments),If that makes any sense. This book is terrific, and I must say this book really touched me. I believe with the talent of the author, and the emotions he displays in his characters (which this is a compleatly true story) it really felt real. I recomend this book a hundred times over. Infact this is one of my now favorite books. Please get a copy and experience the trials and tribulations of this book.
on March 15, 2002
In Maus I and Maus II, Art Spiegelman takes an innovative and creative approach to telling a story that many know all too well. Maus is the story of one man's journey through the maze of Hitler's Europe. By using the unconventional technique of a graphic novel, Art Spiegelman places the reader in a setting where the descriptive pictures tel a story which no words could parallel. The story of Vladek's journey captures the reader, and as a result Maus is an easy read.
on May 22, 2015
I read this as part of the required readings for a class on comics and graphic novels and found it to be an amazing story about a time in history I know very little about. Maus made me want to learn more history, and for someone who generally doesn't care enough to learn history, that's an accomplishment.

The art seems simple at first, but is full of rich detail and really does the story justice. Spiegelman has created a wonderful book to tell this story.
on January 26, 2000
I liked this because it was a comic.I thoght this was a good book. I like to learn about the holickost. The characters are just a little strange. There is one serviver that tells the story. His son is a comic book wrighter in this story. I would recimend this book to 7th graders and up.
on November 10, 2001
One of the most influencial comics I have ever read. It really shows you how much more serious a comic book can be than justa few super powered heroes. Very, very entertaining. Finished both in one night. Anyone interested in writing comics should buy this book ASAP.
on December 16, 1999
This book is a must-read for those who want to know about the Holocaust. The book does not only tell about Vladek Spiegelman's story of survival, but also about the relationship betweeen him and his son Artie, the artist of the book. This book is great.