Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Invitation to a Beheading
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star). See all 12 reviews
on March 5, 2001
Most peculiar - I hurtled through this book without ever sorting out what it really was about: a strange experience, in that it didn't bore me despite it being obscure. Is it an allegory of Soviet society? Is it an allegory of alienation of a particular person from the rest of society (gays?, or more likely, it being Nabokov, men with passions for girls - there is an ethereal girl in the book). Is it Nabokov doing a Kafka (although he may have been using some consciousness-enhancing substance while writing)? Or are we not really meant to know?
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 1999
Definitely not for the reader that can only appreciate overt symbolism a la "Lolita". Nabakov offered to take me into his dark and unjust world and I was a very willing participant. Watch out, with his scintillating wordplay, he treats his audience with about as much sympathy as his characters! After cracking the spine of this one, I found it hard to get off my futon for anything but the occasional hummus break! If you like this, I recommend the other pieces of Nabakov's "Invitation" trilogy, "Invitation to a Swap Meet" and "Invitation to a Rib Cook-off"
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse