Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 20, 2003
I was a twenty something handicap for twenty something years, but here I am twenty something days since reading Dr. Rotella's wonderfully simple, yet powerful book, Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, with a personal best golf score of "79"!
Please read this book and I guarantee you that your game will improve.
Thanks doc! -Bill Smith, Murrieta, CA
on June 27, 2000
I was a mental midget on the golf course. Despite my low handicap, I was capable of shooting 90 anytime out. My swing and tempo would just go away. Sometimes only for a few holes, sometimes for a few weeks. It all had to do with my mental approach. I would go "unconscience" for weeks and shoot my standard round in the 70's, then I would wake up and decide to "think", and all of the sudden I was a mess. The guys at my club called me Jekyll or Hyde, depending on who I was that day. I won my club championship in 1995, finished 2nd in 1998, then failed to qualify by shooting 92 in 1999. I was almost ready to go to a shrink, and I considered being hypnotized.
I went to a local pro that I knew casually for a lesson, and he told me after 10 swings that I was fine physically. I told him about my troubles. He confirmed that I had mental issues on the course, and instead of nitpicking a with a solid swing, he recommended I read this book. He even gave me his copy. I got through it in 2 sittings, bought my own, and now refer to it often. I have attained a tremendous level of consistency and rediscovered my confidence. My USGA handicap has dropped back to the 4's. I am thrilled, because I went as high as 9 after a month of complete futility last season. The only reason it stayed that low was because they toss out your 10 highest scores from your last 20 rounds when computing the handicap. My average score was almost 12 shots higher than the previous year.
I don't have the vocabulary required to adequately praise this book. All I can say is BUY IT! I still can not believe what it did for me. I haven't had any funky spells since reading it, and my entire approach to the game has changed for the better.
Good luck.
on July 18, 1999
Simply put, this book is incredible. I am a 16 year old addict, who was last year, the worst player on the school team. I had taken lessons from pros, watched instructional videos, and attended numerous golf camps. At the beginning of the this year's season, I was considering quitting, when I picked up this little treasure. Bob Rotella's book has completely changed my attitude about this wonderful game. It taught me to forget about what other people thought about my game and remember how to have fun. Due to the weather this year, our golf season was only two weeks long. It took me one week to make junior varsity, and I give half of the credit to this book, and half of the credit to me for reading it. By utilizing the mental techniques found in "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect," I was smashing my previous scoring records and setting new ones almost every round! I was shooting in the mid-70's (9 holes) last year, and now I consistently score in the low 40's! This fantastic book is the real deal!
on February 12, 1997
We are all fascinated by the game of golf because of it's
many complexities and and even contradictions. Most of us
play for relaxation and companionship. We enjoy the outdoor
arena, the beautiful scenery and the challenge of the hardest
game there is.

At the same time we can rapidly turn from Dr. Jekyll to Mr.
Hyde by the simple missed three footer. Acceptance of this
natural contradiction is the key to success. Rotella
provides a pattern to help overcome the inconsistencies in
our mental games and learn to accept the unpredictable
nature of a game using a bouncing ball.

The best result to be gained by reading this book is the
need to include a pre-shot element to the shot routine.
Proper planning with key mental processes are elementary
to the game. Rotella will help you find the process and
accept the imperfections.
on January 29, 2000
"A great green book" I have to call this book like that.I think every golfers have to read this book if they want to play golf "sucessfully";I mean joyable in game and lower your scores as possible. I have played golf for 3 years and now are a 17- handicap amateur player.I have been very happy when my scores is good , occasionally I can break 80, and once I had my first hole-in-one.In the other way,I feel very unhappy,frustated when I could not play well, sometimes nearly 100. After I read this book, I can be very happy and joyable in game either the scores is good or not.Actuallly,I observe that in average my scores is much improved.I have a dream of being a single-handicap in the next 4-5 years. But now ,after I have this great green book ,I think I can reach my dream within 1-2 years.
on April 23, 2001
Legends such as Kite and Nick Price and Pat Bradley value their association with Doc Rotella. This was the book that kicked off his success on the book market and helped the rest of us.
He shows how the mental approach for many of us is an "either/or" thing. Either we have the game that day, we're on, or we loosen up a bit and it's over. We don't try and we spiral downward in disgust with ourselves.
He clearly shows through examples with the likes of Faxon and DL3 that golf is never going to be the perfect round, so why do we always blame ourselves when that first shot goes haywire?
That's where this mind help comes in. He helps with mindset on the first tee to what to do when challenge shot is staring us in the eye.
This is useful stuff to read and re-read and implement.
on January 12, 2000
This book provides incredible insight into the game of golf. Rather than attempting to teach the infamous "perfect swing," Dr. Rotella allows the reader to maintain his current swing and instead he addresses the mental side to lower scores. Whether you are a beginner or carry a low handicap, this book is sure to knock strokes off. This book enables a player to think correctly on the course and develop confidence in his game. It is easy and fun to read since Rotella recalls past memories that support his point. I'd recommend this book for yourself or as a gift. I re-read chapters nightly before playing in tournaments as an instrument to mentally prepare myself. It has helped me to win national junior events and I guarentee that it will help you as well. Hit 'em straight!
on November 7, 1999
I had put away the clubs for 9 or so years after a divorce, career change and moving to another city. My first season back, this book was recommended by my golf instructor who had given me one lesson. To this date, I have had only that lesson, and one about 10 yrs ago. The book was easy to read at lunchtime, while I might then be preparing to hit the practice tee after work that day. My golf suddenly went from the mid 90's, back into the mid 80's, where I had been during the late 1980's. The focusing and targeting skills this book helps one develop are very very powerful. If you want swing basics, look at mags and the other swing books. If you want scoring strategies, and a winning mindset, this is your book.
on January 19, 1997
This is an absolute must for anyone interested in taking
their game to the next level, whatever that might be. The
anecdotes regarding the best players in the world reveal that
they go thru some of the very same mental issues that we all
deal with, whether it's a $2 nassau, the club championship,
or trying to break 90, 80, or par for the first time. There's
nothing "technical" here, and yet I gained more from this book
than any other book, magazine, or lesson. I cannot recommend it
more highly. Before spending any money on another lesson or
on new equipment, invest in this book!!!
on May 22, 1999
I have read approximately 25 golf books and instructional books on golf. Some books are very good, good, fair and poor, partially based on the game level of the reader. This book is a GREAT, GREAT book. In fact it is the best golf improvement book I have ever seen. I believe it is not simply because it matches my skill level, but because it truly applies to most skill levels. The only negative about this book, I was wanting more when it was finished. I have read two other books by Rotella and they are very good also, but this book is the best. Waiting for more!