Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite sports Tools

on August 19, 2014
Best golf instruction book ever printed.
on December 24, 2014
Très satisfait
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 8, 2014
I heard much about this book and finally decided to purchase it. It shipped fast and was a good price. This book is, however, geared towards the right handed golfer. There are many useful tips that require mental manipulation to apply to the lefty golfer like myself. Also, there are a lot of references to people saying things rather than tips directly. Makes the read interesting but rather wordy and unnecessary at times.

I feel my game improved with this book, and was a quick read overall. I wouldn't recommend as a must buy book however.
One person found this helpful
on September 20, 2000
Ben Crenshaw doubled over and openly wept after holing out to win the 1995 Masters tournament. His golf teacher, friend, and father figure Harvey Penick had passed away shortly before the tourney. Ben felt that Harvey was 'guiding' him in the final rounds, and the emotions finally overtook him. The impact of the moment was very touching, but it wasn't until I finished Harvey's Little Red book that I began to understand the poignancy of the connection. The 90-year-old Penick had taught Ben since Ben was 7. The little red book of the title is the notebook, journal, and freeform diary of Mr. Penick. Compiled from golf observations throughout his life, it was only in his waning years that he agreed to allow anyone to see it. What a treat and a privilege it was to read. This is a wonderful piece of literature. Having recently completed Hogan and Armour's instructional guides, this was an excellent follow up. Not nearly as meticulously mechanical and cold as Hogan, nor as blandly wandering as Armour, Penick's actual instruction is extremely straightforward in its scope. I also think that the longer one has played golf the greater one appreciates this work. Not written strictly for the beginner, as the other two books are, Harvey comments not only on instruction and mechanics, but also course design, tournaments, hustlers, metaphorical imagery, and caddying in the early part of the century. Throughout the book, his love of teaching and his immense pride in his pupils continues to carry the theme, allowing one to understand the connection he had with his students. Having become extremely weary of the cloying media and corporate anointment of T. Woods, reading about golf as seen through Harvey Penick's eyes was a much-needed tonic. Highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on July 18, 2002
Harvey Penick wrote his masterpiece with this book, a simple, common terms, way to understand all you ever needed to know about golf. In an age of technical, computer, look-alike golf swings, Harvey Penick wrote a book that the common man can understand.
I have used the thoughts and tips from Harvey's book for over five years now, and it has done nothing but help me become a better golfer, and student of the game. Harvey's tips are great not only for amateurs, but are used by professionals as well. This book is the bible of golf books, a starting point for anyone interested in the game, or interested in getting better.
I know people who read this book every year getting ready for the golf season, and it does nothing but help them with their game. Some of the best parts of this book are when Harvey shares anecdotes from his life, which are always filled with humor and applicable to the golf world, and life.
Harvey Penick was a mad who had integrity, and that is why his legacy lives on. This book is highly recommended to golfers, and non-golfers who might just catch the golf bug after reading this book.
on October 4, 2000
I've owned this book for a few years now, and like my caption says, it never gets old.
In this golfer's book you will find instruction, philosophy, and history - all woven masterfully together in the form of stories. Whether it's the lengthly section where Harvey gives his thoughts in the grip, or the extremely terse paragraph explaining why he never joined the tour, Penick uses the right words at the right times.
I've read it several times and often take it with me on long trips. It's broken into several very short segments, sometimes two or three on a page, sometimes two or three pages. This means you can always pick it up, read a quick snipit, and walk away from it.
Lastly, I've found that whenever my golf game is struggling, I read this book and it always somehow gets back on track. I don't know if it's from the lucid instruction or the comforting philosophy, but either way this book has become an integral part of my golf regimen.
on March 19, 2004
HARVEY PENICK'S LITTLE RED BOOK: LESSONS AND TEACHINGS FROM A LIFETIME OF GOLF is a must have for any serious golf library. Filled with anecdotes, stories and practical golf advice, Penick's book is a forthright, enjoyable read. No wonder these lessons had such an impact on the likes of golf greats Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite, both of whom were Penick proteges.
Penick's book also lends a classical look at a classical game. With all that's going on in the world of golf today: the exorbitant salaries, conflicts about equipment and vintage courses becoming too short, Penick's book reminds us that once upon a time golf was a genial game instead of a rabid business. Read it and gain some needed perspective on the greatest game in the world.
THE HORSEMAN
on May 14, 2018
Ordered for Christmas present for brother. This is a must have for any golf enthusiast.
on October 19, 2000
I'm left with one overriding thought after reading this excellent book. I wish I could have met Harvey just once. He was obviously a very special guy. How many pros would start their first lesson by sitting down with you for twenty minutes and finding out about you as an individual?
This book is a great golf book (we'll see if I agree after I hit the course this afternoon!), but it also makes the connection between golf and life more vivid for me. I bought it at 8pm, got home around 8:30pm, and finished the book around 10:30pm. That should tell you something about the book right there.
on April 7, 2000
If you've played golf for a while and are always loooking for improvements, your mind can become over-cluttered from reading instructions from magazines and books, not to mention tips from your Saturday buddies. Give all that away. Buy the Little Red Book. Read and enjoy. Then read and study. Study again and again. It is pure health for your mind and game.