countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

Showing 11-20 of 21 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on July 14, 2002
You've never had risotto like that made in a pressure cooker. 7 minutes is all it takes once the lid is locked into place. My risotto is perfect and creamy each and every time. I make the basic risotto recipe and add sauteed prawns, roasted veggies and just about anything else I can think of. Try it, you'll never make it the old fashioned way again!
on November 2, 1998
I was always afraid of pressure cookers, but this book sold me on them. All the recipes I have tried are great; my children will eat them too. For me it has the ease of a crockpot, but without having to prepare the ingredients in the morning. I highly recommend this book. It also is a good introduction to vegetarian cooking.
on December 19, 2002
Really the only book you need on pressure cooking. Superb. the section on grains is definitive; the pressure cookers themselves who have recipes aren't this accurate on the time/pressure/water
scenario.
on May 3, 2015
I am surprised to see negative reviews for this title. This is the only cookbook I use for my WMF pressure cooker. There are few recipes that I found excellent. A lot are very good and just a few that I would rate good. I do not find recipes complicated or ingredients lists overwhelming. I love basic rice recipe which I modified just a bit by adding minced carrots for color. Beef stew is another example of great dish. Pork chops with sauerkraut is also great. From my personal cooking experience I would recommend this book highly.
on December 10, 2000
I bought my first pressure cooker in the seventies in college. For years, I used it mainly to cook beans, due to its speed. I bought this book when it was first issued and have referred to it countless times, since.
Pressure cookers today are indeed different than the earlier models (including my old Mirro). With my old cooker, even though I never had an accident, I had to stay close at hand to monitor the pressure regular rattling, etc. Pressure cooking with a modern cooker is so much easier! My latest purchase, earlier this year, was an electric, programmable cooker from Salton that's as easy to use as my rice cooker or Crock Pot.
It's true that some of the recipes in this book use ingredients that are not freely available in non-urban areas of the country. No problem: just adapt to what you want to cook! I read a review by a prior person who lamented that they must be a 'meat and potatoes' person. Fine: do your meat and potatoes here! I find that baked potatoes are much more delicious done in the cooker than in the microwave. The time required is rather a split between nuking and conventional baking. Pressure cooking can do wonders on tough meat the same way that a Crock Pot can. Just be sure and brown your meat first!
However, I still use my cooker more for beans than anything. Sass gives a full and careful explanation of bean and legume cooking here, as safety must be considered.
Since this book came out several other cookbooks have been released on pressure cooking. I've bought some, and the best alternative to this book is the one published by Presto, the maker of the original pressure cooker. It's an excellent reference also, and also recommended.
on February 8, 1998
Every recipe I've tried has been very, very good. Once you have cooked a few, you'll get the ideas behind the recipes. Then you can work up your own recipes and amaze your friends. This book and a pressure cooker are the two of the best things that a bachelor can own. Highly recommended.
on March 26, 1998
I've been using a pressure cooker for 25 yrs. and just bought this book. It's great! The recipes are all up to date and everything I've tried has been terrific.
on January 10, 2016
A great book! No wonder it's on its 20th year and, still going! I have tried a few recipes in this book and, all get rave reviews by my family!
on December 2, 2010
Very good book. I have 2 books for pressure cooking, and this is one of them. Good practical recipes, made with ingredients that you can find easily.
on October 18, 2014